PDA

View Full Version : When exactly did Donzi sell to OMC?

hmcboat
07-01-2011, 04:33 AM
I recently bought an 89 f-23 center console,and the boat was built in late summer of 88.I need to recheck the hull # but I think it was july or aug.1988 build date.Actually still have orig MSO papers.Would that be the old donzi company?I thought the sell to omc was later than that.It is built pretty tough,and no stress cracks anywhere.The decks and interior gel compounded and waxed up great.Hull sides are getting paint,original yellow.

AIRGRADY
07-01-2011, 07:26 AM
I believe they started in 1987 and sold in 1993. If I'm wrong I bet somebody will chime in.

Marlin275
07-01-2011, 09:44 AM
OMC Years
1988 - 1992

Donzi Website History

http://donzimarine.com/History/1988_1992.html

Our Model List here is different
OMC 88-94

http://www.donzi.net/forums/easy_pages.php?p=2

VetteLT193
07-01-2011, 12:56 PM
I think the lines are pretty well blurred for 1988. They certainly used up all of the old hardware, engines, etc. so it didn't seem to take full swing until the later years. All of the 1988's I have seen look like they are built to the same specs as '87 and prior. The early 90's boats is when you start seeing the obvious cheapening of the hardware and some of the techniques used.

Dr. Dan
07-18-2011, 03:16 AM
I think the lines are pretty well blurred for 1988. They certainly used up all of the old hardware, engines, etc. so it didn't seem to take full swing until the later years. All of the 1988's I have seen look like they are built to the same specs as '87 and prior. The early 90's boats is when you start seeing the obvious cheapening of the hardware and some of the techniques used.

If by cheap Hardware you mean the plastic vs metal vents for the Engine Bay, I think that happened in 1994.

My 1993 has the full metal chromed vents, in fact a week or so ago it came back from a Veteran Glass Shop, the guys could not believe the boat was as old as it was. Their comment was that Chris Craft built one of the more structually sound hulls for that model given what they have seen since and today.

But all that aside, if you take care of what you got - it can look good for years to come.

Danny :)

Donzigo
07-19-2011, 10:16 AM
I'm sure there are those with better information; but, as far as I know, the sale of the Donzi Marine Racing (called in those days) was made in June of 1988. I went down to the plant in August of that year; because I had heard that they were selling off the Donzis on the back lot that were already built. Indeed, that was the case, and I saw many Donzis and even more Regazzas. I was not able to fork out the $$ for a "newly built boat"; but, it was just fun to go see them. There were still Donzi boats on the production line and even though the OMC corporation was changing this "state of the art" plant to build Chris Crafts; but, until the Donzi hulls and parts in house were gone, they built the last of the Donzi's.

I purchased my 1989 (built in August, 1988) Z-33 ten yeras ago. I have often thought that if I had known the future, my boat was probably on that lot that day I was there in August of 1988. So, let's see, it would be a Donzi built in a Chris Craft factory by OMC empoyees installing Mercury 454 Gen-6 engines. Hence, my "Donzi - Chris Craft - Mercury - OMC" boat ....

Donzigo
07-19-2011, 10:18 AM
I'm sure there are those with better information; but, as far as I know, the sale of the Donzi Marine Racing (called in those days) was made in June of 1988. I went down to the plant in August of that year; because I had heard that they were selling off the Donzis on the back lot that were already built. Indeed, that was the case, and I saw many Donzis and even more Regazzas. I was not able to fork out the $$ for a "newly built boat"; but, it was just fun to go see them. There were still Donzi boats on the production line and even though the OMC corporation was changing this "state of the art" plant to build Chris Crafts; but, until the Donzi hulls and parts in house were gone, they built the last of the Donzi's.

I purchased my 1989 Z-33 (built in August, 1988) ten years ago. I have often thought that if I had known the future, my boat was probably on that lot that day I was there in August of 1988. So, let's see, it would be a Donzi built in a Chris Craft factory by OMC empoyees installing Mercury 454 Gen-6 engines. Hence, my "Donzi - Chris Craft - Mercury - OMC" boat ....

hmcboat
07-22-2011, 05:47 AM
makes sense, I bet mine was sitting back there too...aug '88 F-23 center console outboard, rigged with a 225 Johnson.

Barry Eller
07-22-2011, 08:37 PM

If by cheap Hardware you mean the plastic vs metal vents for the Engine Bay, I think that happened in 1994.
My 1993 has the full metal chromed vents, in fact a week or so ago it came back from a Veteran Glass Shop, the guys could not believe the boat was as old as it was. Their comment was that Chris Craft built one of the more structually sound hulls for that model given what they have seen since and today.
But all that aside, if you take care of what you got - it can look good for years to come.
Danny :)

I, like Danny, have a 1993 Donzi by Chris Craft...It is as solid as can be... and it is not cheaply built. OMC also owned Chris Craft in this time period. In fact I just purchased a new old stock (NOS) King Cobra outdrive. The earlier models, I'm not familiar with, but the 1993's are the best built Donzi's ever.

CaribouLou
07-23-2011, 09:06 PM
I, like Danny, have a 1993 Donzi by Chris Craft...It is as solid as can be... and it is not cheaply built. OMC also owned Chris Craft in this time period. In fact I just purchased a new old stock (NOS) King Cobra outdrive. The earlier models, I'm not familiar with, but the 1993's are the best built Donzi's ever.

You bought that drive in FL? Goddamn you, I need that.

Barry Eller
07-24-2011, 01:50 PM

What? Why in the world would you say something like that?

Barry Eller
07-24-2011, 05:17 PM

What? Why in the world would you say something like that?
I bought my "New" outdrive June 20th...I just don't understand why you would cuss me???:confused:

Walt. H.
07-24-2011, 08:37 PM
What da heck CaribouLou Barry even mentioned back in June with this post
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=65665&highlight=bought+wife
Hopefully you ment it all in was all in jest.:bighug:

CaribouLou
07-25-2011, 11:21 AM
What da heck CaribouLou Barry even mentioned back in June with this post
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=65665&highlight=bought+wife
Hopefully you ment it all in was all in jest.:bighug:

I didn't mean anything by it. Want to sell me your "old" drive?

Walt. H.
07-25-2011, 12:32 PM
I didn't mean anything by it. Want to sell me your "old" drive?
I don't have an old or extra OMC K.C. drive, but I do have two extra Mercruiser Alpha-l

What happened to the post you had regarding the OMC KC drive unit you found in Mich?

dsparis
07-25-2011, 01:30 PM
Doug Russell Marine has brand new OMC King Cobras for 6995.00, rebuilts 4995.00 They also have new aftermarket units.

CaribouLou
07-25-2011, 08:00 PM
Anyone dealt with them? I've heard some bad rumors that they aren't reliable...

Walt. H.
07-25-2011, 08:57 PM
Lou,
I dealt with them many times with never a problem since 2007, and they always called me promptly back if they had to check with another vender for availabilty and the girls on there staff are pleasent to speak with as well.

I once ordered a s/s under swim platform boarding ladder and recieved the wrong one do to a part number mix up, when I called to let them know they quickly sent me out a free return shipping label for pick up at my door and shipped me out the correct ladder without waiting to receive the first one back and took an extra $15.00 or $25.00 off my bill for my trouble even though the correct one was much more then the one they first shipped me.
But as far as buying a drive from them I would look for a place closer to you since they're located in Massachusetts and the shipping cost would be a killer!

CaribouLou
07-25-2011, 09:09 PM
I will keep that in mind. Shipping is only 150$