PDA

View Full Version : 65 or not?

man73
06-30-2011, 10:46 AM
I bought this Donzi Sweet 16 about 4 years ago with the intention of rebuilding it. Unfortunantly I have not had the time and was thinking about selling it so I started to look into it. However on my title it is listed as a 1965 but it is an outboard. I though the outboard Sweet 16's werent made until the late 60's early 70's? Any information on this boat would be greatly apreciated.

mattyboy
06-30-2011, 04:57 PM
I bought this Donzi Sweet 16 about 4 years ago with the intention of rebuilding it. Unfortunantly I have not had the time and was thinking about selling it so I started to look into it. However on my title it is listed as a 1965 but it is an outboard. I though the outboard Sweet 16's werent made until the late 60's early 70's? Any information on this boat would be greatly apreciated.

they did make one or two ob 16s in the late 60's prior to the big run of babies in the early 70's unfortunetly yours is not one of them. Yours may be a 65 skisporter that was converted from IO to OB . the OB 16 was always rh helm yours is lh helm. the ob well looks a tad different too are there storage lockers on the sides?

let's see if we can find some info out about your boat

check the tag on the gas tank for a date
check the back of the dash and the bow eye backing plate for a hull number
is there any signs of the original color on the boat

let us know what you find out

good luck ,

man73
07-07-2011, 11:18 AM
Unfortunantly the boat does not have a gas tank in it, the person who had it before me really did a number on it. After searching the boat up and down about 10 times I can confidently say that it does not have a hull number which would make it atleast pre-1972 if Im not mistaken. It does not have the side storage compartments you mentioned but and I believe the original hull color was a blue or light blue. You notice in the bottom left hand picture that there is a square cut out in the back seating, does would that indicate an i/o? When I looked at the cut out closely it did not look like it was very well done either. If it was converted to an o/b then it was very well done because the area where the engine would sit on an o/b looks great. Any more help and info is greatly appreciated!

maddad
07-07-2011, 04:06 PM
Hi man73, this is what all the 16' outboard Donzis I've seen look like from the back.
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=65400&stc=1&d=1310072691

man73
07-08-2011, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the picture maddad. I just cant figure mine out because of the steering being on the left and it being an o/b.

mattyboy
07-09-2011, 07:11 AM
looks like a 65 I/O converted to an OB . besides the whole in the seat everything else looks to be correct in the cockpit

very easy to find out I am sure the scream and fly guys could confirm if LH controls or lh rotation was available for eggbeaters in 65.