PDA

View Full Version : Water in my Cabin....That aint ballin

Tug Life
06-27-2011, 02:53 PM
Has anyone had a problem with water standing in the cabin floor on a 28zx? Mine holds water like its on girl time, after it rains or I wash it. I tried jacking the trailer way up and way down to get it to drain but no luck. The only thing that works is a wet/dry vac. Any Suggestions?

VetteLT193
06-27-2011, 03:23 PM
Do you have a ZX or ZXO?

Regardless the front bilge is not connected to the rear (retarded design) so on the trailer the front bilge pump still has to run to pump water out of the 'box' at the rear of the cabin (it's a step). open the round white cover, vacuum out the water from there, and check the bilge pump. my guess is yours blew like mine did.

On the regular ZX I think only the sink and in cabin cooler drain there. but on the Open model it's the whole frikkin bow area, every cupholder up there, plus the sink and cooler.

When I get new canvas one fine day I'm getting the bow connected to the cockpit cover so the water rolls off of the boat instead of off the windshield, under the bow cover, and into the bow... then into that box.

pipnit
06-27-2011, 10:09 PM
It's a Donzi, of course you're ballin'!:pimp:

Tug Life
06-28-2011, 06:59 AM
So, is there a fuse for the pump? If not I can replace the pump and it should be good I guess. I need a manual for this boat. just bought it in April and it didnt have any factory books or anything.

Tug Life
06-28-2011, 07:01 AM
Its a ZX. So that carpet gets the stank on it if I dont keep it in check.

VetteLT193
06-28-2011, 07:08 AM
breaker I think on the power panel, starboard side under the rear bench seat.

But... chances are the pump is dead. Or... float is bad or stuck. They used an all in one unit on mine and they get stuck easily so it might just need a good tap. there is a knob on the top of the pump to rotate the float up and down.

I might add a second pump to mine one day mounted a bit higher. time will tell.

The Donzi manual is worthless. It covers the entire ZX (and maybe even ZR too) line and has no specific or useful information.

Tug Life
06-28-2011, 07:30 AM
is there a way you know of to order factory parts for these boats. I bought the boat and it was in amazing shape ffor being a 2001 model, but it has a few little problems. My port ignition switch threads are all busted off. the outside retainer and deco ring keep falling off. need to get a new one but didnt know if I could jus go to a parts store or do I have to order the specific one.

Splash
06-28-2011, 07:30 AM
I have a 26zx and I get this all the time. The drains in the floor as well as the Glove box and I think the storage under the rear seat drain to the front bilge. I washed my floor this year before putting the carpet in and I got a bunch of water on the carpet.

I had my front bilge pump go bad as well, Its a Attwood but the problem is it sits on a little platform so it doesn't get all the water out. What I do is use a Sponge or shop vacum to get the water out, I believe the water slowly drains out of the front bilge under the step. I keep the cockpit carpet in all year with a full cover so normally once I get it dry it stays that way for the year. I just said after this year that I'm going to look to see how hard it would be to run the drain lines to the rear instead of the front bilge.

Good Luck, Jim
If anyone gets water in the front compartment under the bed let me know, I know how to fix that as well.

FISHIN SUCKS
06-28-2011, 07:48 AM
is there a way you know of to order factory parts for these boats. I bought the boat and it was in amazing shape ffor being a 2001 model, but it has a few little problems. My port ignition switch threads are all busted off. the outside retainer and deco ring keep falling off. need to get a new one but didnt know if I could jus go to a parts store or do I have to order the specific one.
You can still order parts from Donzi at donzimarine.com and Josh can help you out. He is also on the board here under the handle DonziJosh. you may be able to go to like a West Marine or something to buy some parts as well. good luck,

tom

MOP
06-28-2011, 09:05 AM
A tip I learned along the way with pumps that are hard to get at, is to take a fair sized piece of plastic window screen lay it down when you mount the pump. Then when done pull it up around the pump and wires and close the top with a wire tie that will keep any thing out ensuring low maintenance.

VetteLT193
06-28-2011, 09:35 AM
I have a 26zx and I get this all the time. The drains in the floor as well as the Glove box and I think the storage under the rear seat drain to the front bilge. I washed my floor this year before putting the carpet in and I got a bunch of water on the carpet.
I had my front bilge pump go bad as well, Its a Attwood but the problem is it sits on a little platform so it doesn't get all the water out. What I do is use a Sponge or shop vacum to get the water out, I believe the water slowly drains out of the front bilge under the step. I keep the cockpit carpet in all year with a full cover so normally once I get it dry it stays that way for the year. I just said after this year that I'm going to look to see how hard it would be to run the drain lines to the rear instead of the front bilge.
Good Luck, Jim
If anyone gets water in the front compartment under the bed let me know, I know how to fix that as well.

If you get into it and figure out a way to make the front even overflow to the rear bilge let me know. I'd like to make it so the front bilge pump can only operate with the battery switches on and worst case is the water overflows into the main bilge.

Splash
06-28-2011, 12:23 PM
I have a 2000 26ZX and I have either replaced my ignition once or twice, one time it would just keep spinning around. Its fairly easy to replace but I'm not sure if you matching keys. I just pulled it out and I think it was a 2 post, bought it on line and it went right in. I toyed with going with a brass one
but is a lot more expesive. The little rubber boot can be moved over to the new ignition.

mabes
04-17-2012, 03:15 PM
were you able to replace the pump?
I was told it is impossible to access.

ROADTOYS
04-18-2012, 08:25 AM
Where is the access to the front bilge pump? hell I didn't know it had one! I did notice the outlet for something on the side of the hull, is it the access cover on the back of the steps? after they installed my 383's they washed the floor and I had 3'" of water in the cabin, last sunday I was cleaning it up to be ready for the interior, I used my shop vac to clean it out, I never thought of turning on the power and hitting the bilge switch, are they both hooked to the same dash switch?

VetteLT193
04-18-2012, 10:48 AM
They are not on the same switch. the forward pump is automatic only and hooked direct to the battery.

You can access it by opening the round floor panel at the rear of the step going out to the boat if you are in the cabin.

Access stinks. it's tight. The whole setup is retarded. No one expects to have a boat with multiple bilges... and one that won't drain with the bilge plug out.

ROADTOYS
04-18-2012, 12:52 PM
Thank you so much, I never turned on the battery switch when the water was there, but I only vacuumed the floor so I will get it down off the rack and hit the power to see if it's working. (there must still be water in the bottom)

VetteLT193
04-18-2012, 03:24 PM
the pump runs with the battery switches off (or it should at least).

My guess is your pump died or the float switch is broken or stuck. Normally bilge pumps last a very long time because they seldom get used on boats that stay out of the water but on our boats the front pump has to work to pump out the water.

Be prepared with a shop vac to pump out the box that the pump sits in (basically the area below the step). It will probably be full of water.

ROADTOYS
04-19-2012, 08:13 AM
My pump must not be working if it is hooked direct to the battery it should have come on........ right?

VetteLT193
04-19-2012, 08:36 AM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

unless the float switch is stuck. which is very possible because if it is like mine it's a self contained unit and they get stuck pretty easy. There is a knob on the top of the pump on one corner. rotate the knob and it will rotate the float switch. sometimes it's a matter of just barely touching it and it will start to pump.

I'm still thinking about adding a second pump to mine with the float mounted a bit higher. I don't think this is necessary on a regular 28 but on the open model all the water from the bow area also goes in that forward bilge and I personally think it would be good for safety when on the water.

ROADTOYS
04-19-2012, 01:56 PM
Thank you very much, I will try it

bigmc69
04-19-2012, 07:14 PM
Well fellas I just replaced my front bildge pump with a new one. However I could not get to it from the small ass access hole in the cabin. So I went a step further. I removed the carpet in the first step and got a 4" hole saw and cut a access hole to get to the pump. It made it much easier to replace that way. I then installed a attwood screw on panel to it for future problems and also to access to really get all the water out that the bildge doesnt pump. I hope this helps.

ROADTOYS
04-20-2012, 08:12 AM
I had a feeling that access hole...unless you are 6 years old, it would be damn near impossible to get that thing out of there, Thanks for the info.....:banghead:

VetteLT193
04-21-2012, 07:18 PM
It doesnt seem like any more of a pita than changing the oil or raw water impeller on mine. They all suck but are doable with enough beer

zelatore
04-22-2012, 02:23 PM
...I then installed a attwood screw on panel...

I've used a LOT of those access pannels over the years for different projects. Though I usually skip right past the little 4" and go for the 6 or bigger. If you're going to cut a hole, might as well cut a big one so you can get in there and do something! And sometimes it's just the only way to get to where you need to be.

Splash
04-26-2012, 11:22 AM
Mine had the larger one so the pump came right out. Since the pump is on a little platform it doesnt get out all the water so I some times just use a shop vac. It seems like if their is any water in the front bilge area it seeps under the steps. I'm toying with trying to re glass on the bilge side to see if I could keep it from seeping onto the floor. Anyone ever removed the steps? I'm sure I could do the same and cut another hole in the front of the step riser and glass it that way. I can't figure out how the water is getting into the bilge, never use the glove box as a cooler so I beliebve its leaking down from the windshield/farring. I keep a full cover on it which helps but once you get it wet it takes so long to dry out.

rsummers
05-14-2012, 07:17 PM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

I have a 2000 26zx and am getting water in the storage locker under the vee bearth pads. So....you know how to fix? I need help.

Splash
05-15-2012, 07:54 AM
Sure do, I had this same problem and it took me a little while to figure it out. When they drilled the drain hole for the Anchor locker they drilled it a little to low so it acutally cuts into the locker floor a little bit. This allows the water to leak under the anchor locker and then follows the keel into the v-berth compartment. All you need to do is seal the drain hole, I used some of the marine calk and a pencil, took the chrome piece off outside of the drain hole and with a pencil I lined the drain hole with the calk. Found it best to apply it from the inside and then slowly twist the pencil as you run the pencil in and out. If you take a flash light you will see where the drain hole begins how the water is leaking through the floor, make sure to get plunty of calk in that area. I think I used that 3m 5200. Good luck, send me a note if you need any other help.