PDA

View Full Version : new guy.....1st dumb question, of course.

theteacher
06-27-2011, 01:24 PM
Sold my last boat ( Carerra Caliente ) when our handicapped daughter was born in 2000. She passed away 4 years ago and we are looking at another boat. I've always liked the Donzi brand and need to ask the value of 1 that I have an eye on.
It's a 1998 Sweet 16, and get this, it has NEVER been put in the water. The man won it back in December of 1997 and never got it wet.
So, what's it worth, any idea? Has the 4.3 and the questions I have are: what all went bad in the last 14 years, hoses, gaskets, seals, something else I'm not aware of, I'm not a mechanic. Is it worth alot or a little. It's quite a distance from me and all I have is his word that it is perfect, but I don't want to drive 6 hours 1 way and be surprised. I'mk sure 14 year old trailer tires aren't very safe, are they? What else?
Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks !

Carl C
06-27-2011, 01:34 PM
I'm sorry about the loss of your child, even if it was 4 years ago. A 1998 model never used. Wow. Was it stored indoors? If so the hull and finish should be perfect. The bad news is that IMO it will need a lot more work than a boat that has been used regularly. Tires, engine & drive rebuild. Lots of seals that could be dried out. There are people here that know a lot more than I about this kind of thing. This should be an interesting thread. Oh, and welcome to Donzi.net.

jl1962
06-27-2011, 01:35 PM
After 14 years, find a Merc dealer to check it out. And yes the tires are probably iffy.

I can't make the case that it's worth anymore than a gently used, properly maintained boat of the same vintage that might be several honest points under mint condition. A really nice 5.0 MPI 2004 16 was just on eBay for 15K w/ under 100 hours.

Your boat sounds like a cool find but only worth 8 - 10K if it checks out.

My .02

BUIZILLA
06-27-2011, 01:47 PM
11-12k

VetteLT193
06-27-2011, 02:11 PM
After buying a car that sat for a few years (1996 corvette) I wouldn't touch a boat that sat around that long with a 10 foot stick. It will more than likely nickel and dime you to death and test your will.

The Hedgehog
06-27-2011, 04:41 PM
I actually would buy a boat that has sat around that long. Vette is right, you will have lots of nickel and dime problems. If you buy it right and assume that you will have to replace the engine / seals, you may get a deal.

Who knows, you may be able to replace the belts and hoses with it running fine.

It will likely not be turn key though.

silverghost
06-27-2011, 04:51 PM
Very sorry to hear about the tragic passing of your young daughter.
My heart goes out to the both of you & your entire family.

How was the Donzi 16 Stored ?
Much depends on how & where it was stored.

Was this NEW Donzi 16 stored indoors in a fairly stable temp. & low humidity condition?
Was any oil placed in the engine's cylinders prior to long term storage?
If so~ It may be in much better shape than one might think.

Donziweasel
06-27-2011, 05:33 PM
Low ball him, sell the 4.3 and drop in a fresh 305 or 350.

Inferno
06-27-2011, 06:21 PM
DON'T BUY IT !!!! RUN RUN. Oh can I have his telephone number ??? LOL

BUIZILLA
06-27-2011, 08:02 PM
I know where there is an all aluminum V6... :pimp:

Ghost
06-27-2011, 08:09 PM
I know where there is an all aluminum V6... :pimp:

Just one, or a supply/supplier?

GBond
06-27-2011, 08:35 PM
Wouldn't pay more than 10K, and that's after a reputable surveryor has gone over it.

And hopefully he hasn't gotten wind there going for 80k now... new! :biggrin:

Phil S
06-27-2011, 08:47 PM
Very sorry to hear of the loss of your child.

If it's the one listed in upstate SC, that is where I live and I'd be happy to check it out and send you some pics if it is reasonably close.

I'm in the Greenville / Spartanburg SC area and travel almost daily throughout the area. Heading out of town shortly so hit me up quickly if I can be of help.

Lemme know.

Phil S.

GBond
06-28-2011, 05:26 AM
If it's the one listed in upstate SC, that is where I live and I'd be happy to check it out and send you some pics if it is reasonably close.
Phil S.

I'm also in the area. Let us know and we'll have a look for you.

MOP
06-28-2011, 07:22 AM
As usual I agree and disagree with some of what has been said, if it has been kept high and dry it could very well turn out to be a jewel. I would have less worry about seals then I would about the cylinder bores, seal don't dry out like they used to composition has changed. So much depends on the humidity it the area it was stored. I have reawakened some pretty old stuff over the years, the biggest majority came out just fine. The shop I ran was on Peconic Bay with plenty of salt all around, I can not count how many boats were sort of forgotten in our high and dry racks over the years. A few on this board knew I was after a 16 that had been stored for at least eight years, out side of being filthy and having a couple of parts stolen over the years I was not fazed. The guy would not sell it I tried for about two years and gave up, one of his relatives ended up with it. They fired it up on a six gallon tank, drained and cleaned the tank and fuel system it came away with no ill effects. Another fairly recent example was a small Barbra Green paving machine that sat for nearly 20 years in a back lot of a large company up here, A buddy called me for an opinion, I said grab some batteries. It had a myriad of dirt bird crap vines and a few small trees growing in its innards and a 471 that looked like crap. We took one 8D down to its knees getting going but once fired off and after 20 minutes of running we moved it, next day we came back with a trailer. A ton of cleaning, a new oil burner and a grease job it went to work about a week later. A new one would cost as much as a small house he grabbed it for 10k, so far no issues he will be spruce up over the winter. He says it will be paid for by fall. IMO go for it, bite the bullet and have a good summer!

theteacher
06-28-2011, 07:37 AM
Thanks for the help/replys guys. There's a guy checking it out for me today, and I'll go from there. My wife and I really miss the water and look forward to getting a boat. I have 2 Harleys, so I'm trading 1 for a boat. I wasn't even aware of the Sweet 16 'till I saw the guys ad. It is just such a cool little boat that it really has sparked my interest. It's not exactly what I was looking for, but I think it would be a blast to own.
So, after the gentleman checks it out today I may re-enter negotiations with the owner.

Side note,,,,,my father in law bought a Chris Craft Rally Sport ( 18' I think ) brand new in 1964, and drove from Ohio to Michigan to pick it up at the plant himself. It has 160 hours on it and is in his climate controlled garage. Completely 100% original. He said it has the Corvette engine in it from the factory. He's 73 years old, meaner than a hornet and the stingiest/greediest man I ever met. It sits beside his 1969 Corvette, beside his 1971 snowmobile ( forget the make) as he NEVER gets rid of anything he ever buys, toy wise.
And my wife is his only child.

theteacher
06-28-2011, 07:38 AM
Operator error !

Carl C
06-28-2011, 10:18 AM
Glad you are getting it sorted out and enjoying the boat. Most of these first time out threads are about how difficult the boat was to drive. BTW, your father in law will live to be 95 years old......

theteacher
06-28-2011, 11:43 AM
....... BTW, your father in law will live to be 95 years old......[/QUOTE]

Please do NOT curse me like that!!!! hahahahahahahahah
Seriously, if you knew him, you wouldn't wish that on your worst enemy !!!!!!! Never have a met a more "difficult" man in my life. The older he gets, the ..........ah, never mind, my problem.

hot shot
07-02-2011, 05:30 PM
I asume its on a trailer and after sitting that long might be a good idea to check the bottom especially if its on a roller trailer. I hope this deal works out for you, It sounds like you might need some good medicine.. enjoy :wink: DONZI medicine !!!

zelatore
07-03-2011, 09:08 AM
It occurs to me that this could be the ultimate hot rodder's find.

Car guys usually hate doing body work but end up doing so much to the mechanicals they don't really care much about engine condition. Hence they are always looking for cars that are straight with a great body but don't run to drive the price down. This could be the perfect example of something like that with the added bonus that the engine may need very little to get up and running anyway.

Doesn't help with the price much I know, but still sounds like a great find.

Phil S
07-04-2011, 08:02 PM
I went and saw this boat...theteacher (great guy) passed on it, but not without hesitation....(correct me if I'm wrong Dave...)

At any rate, I have some photos of this boat if anyone is interested and it's still available. The owner's story on the boat, imho, sure seems to be accurate...I'm no expert though....

Phil S.

Buddyc
07-04-2011, 08:10 PM
Wow.. would love to see them Phil

theteacher
07-09-2011, 06:18 PM
I went and saw this boat...theteacher (great guy) passed on it, but not without hesitation....(correct me if I'm wrong Dave...)
At any rate, I have some photos of this boat if anyone is interested and it's still available. The owner's story on the boat, imho, sure seems to be accurate...I'm no expert though....
Phil S.

It was tough to pass on this boat for sure, but it just isn't what I'm looking for right now. I'm still kickin' it around tho', just because the price is right and it's a new boat, practically !!!
I actually hope someone beats me to it, before I decide to buy it. A brand new 1998, how often do you find one ???UUuummmmmmm, that would be NEVER !

tnc110
07-09-2011, 06:57 PM
I say go for it! As others have said...it depends on how it was stored. I have a 69 Chrysler furry boat. Everything for the most part is original except for the fuel tank. Even the tires on the trailer are original. lets see some pics!

tnc110
07-09-2011, 08:52 PM
Phil s and bond...where do you boat in the upstate...I live in NC but go to Lake Keowee often?

Phil S
07-10-2011, 09:45 PM
Will post some pics I took tomorrow. (camera is at work)

We boat on Lake Keowee, Hartwell and Jocassee. Will probably be at Keowee next weekend. I saw a twin engine ZXO on Hartwell 2 weekends ago....hadn't seen one of those in person...they are very nice.

Phil

Phil S
07-12-2011, 03:41 PM
Here's a few pictures....

The story on this was that the owner won it in a poker tournament in 1998 in Biloxi MS. The boat used to have vinyl lettering on the side and deck that read "Poker Room" & " Grand Prize". He said the lettering started peeling off and he pulled the rest of it off. You can still see where it was though. He said that as far as he knew, it still had the "break-in" oil in it. He has all the original paperwork / books manuals that came with it. It's been stored in a heated basement of his house.

It sure seemed to be in "as-new" condition to me.

Phil

Phil S
07-12-2011, 03:45 PM
And a few more....

BUIZILLA
07-12-2011, 04:06 PM
so, what was the price?

Phil S
07-12-2011, 05:38 PM
DONZI (Upstate/SC)

Date: 2011-06-19, 10:24AM EDT
Reply to: see below [Errors when replying to ads?]

1998 Donzi Sweet 16. White with red trim. 4.3 liter mercury. Never put in water.
Brand new condition. Make offer or offer trade. Call 864-723-5726 .

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
PostingID: 2449499715

No contact info?
if the poster didn't include a phone number, email, or
other contact info, craigslist can notify them via email.

No asking price..."make offer or trade". Here's a cut and paste of his ad. He didn't post a price with his ad....it's still up on Craigslist - Greenville SC Upstate.

theteacher
07-13-2011, 08:25 PM
Sssoooooooo, what do ya'll say it's worth ???
This should be interesting.

BUIZILLA
07-13-2011, 08:28 PM
didn't you already make an offer and walk away?

Phil S
07-13-2011, 08:39 PM
buiz.....that was someone else before teacher...

BUIZILLA
07-13-2011, 08:45 PM
my bad.. :bonk:

theteacher
07-14-2011, 12:01 AM
didn't you already make an offer and walk away?

I didn't make an offer, we were in negotiations, but I wasn't willing to trade what he wanted from me for the boat. I'm just curious to see what you guys think it's actually worth in cash in todays economy. I know the figure he would take, but I'm not going to broadcast it on here in respect of his sale.

joseph m. hahnl
07-15-2011, 09:13 PM
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: That NADA cracks me up

Low Retail (http://www.nadaguides.com/default.aspx?LI=1048-24-38-5697-0-0-0&l=1048&w=24&p=38&f=5698&m=10546&d=1600057856&y=1998&ml=D&gc=MR&gtc=MR#Low Retail) Average Retail (http://www.nadaguides.com/default.aspx?LI=1048-24-38-5697-0-0-0&l=1048&w=24&p=38&f=5698&m=10546&d=1600057856&y=1998&ml=D&gc=MR&gtc=MR#Average Retail) Base Price $6,900 TOTAL PRICE $7,820

Notes

http://www.boats.com/boat-content/nada-guides/