PDA

View Full Version : You just can't make this stuff up.

CHACHI
06-21-2011, 12:59 PM
I boat in the 1K Islands and I heard that even if you are passing thru Canadian waters, you better be heading to customs or else you could be fined.

Local NY paper told a story of a US citizen, fishing in Canadian waters, (Gananoque area), was drifting, no anchor, had a Canadian fishing license, was approached by Canadian customs, asked if he "checked in", he replied no, they were going to take his boat unless he paid 1,000 on the spot as a fine.

He had to call and get a charge card number from a family member as he didn't fish with 1,000 dollars in his pocket.

I have to wonder how strict they will enforce this law.

Ken
http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.offshoreonly.com/get/forums/images/statusicon/user_online.gif http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.offshoreonly.com/get/forums/images/buttons/report.gif (http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/report.php?p=3434599) http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.offshoreonly.com/get/forums/images/misc/progress.gif

glashole
06-21-2011, 01:34 PM
doesn't seem right

i know they can be pricks sometimes to you guys but have never heard of this

unless he gave them some additude maybe

never the less you give someone a badge and some power and the odd one will take it to heart

mike o
06-21-2011, 01:48 PM
I guess, just tell then your going to the Public pay phone in Kingston. Last summer I reported on the pay phone at the docks. The Phone # to call is written with a sharpe on the wall , next the phone.:yes: Kinda put a damper on things, cause its nice on :canada: side. I hope Shea or other :canada: fill us in on the details. Totally, my favorite place to go.:yes:

Carl C
06-21-2011, 03:20 PM
There has to be more to the story.....

Ghost
06-21-2011, 03:30 PM
There has to be more to the story.....

I had the same initial reaction.

That said, I have heard of some other insanity lately. There's a pretty cool show that keeps showing up on TV lately, something like "How the States Got Their Shapes" or something. LOTS of interesting history in it.

One of the modern quirks they discuss is a town that actually straddles the border. Even the physical structure of the public library in the town actually straddles the border. Since 9/11 and the creation of DHS, all kinds of nonsense has apparently been thrust upon the residents and visitors both.

Makes me wonder.

Carl C
06-21-2011, 04:21 PM
I boat in Canadian waters OFTEN! It is not illegal.

DonziJon
06-21-2011, 05:05 PM
I believe if you are in Canadian waters, and don't Anchor OR Land. You are legal. :yes: Because: You are NOT Touching Canadian soil.

There was a popular restaurant in Canada that we used to go for diner by Donzi..from Clayton. It was past A-Bay and then North through some islands. Can't remember the town..or the name of the restaurant. You had better know where you were going. We were aware of the requirements to "Check In". We never did. BUT..That was a few years ago.....BUT still after 9-11. :bonk: DJ

EDIT: The town was Rockport.

gmcars10
06-21-2011, 05:51 PM
Absolutely false. I know the law in this respect because of multiple fishing tournaments I fish. Next one will be Kingston Ontario at the mouth of the St Lawrence. Law is the same, either side. You can boat in foreign waters, without notice or permit. You may only fish or have fishing equipment with the intention of fishing if you hold that state's or provinces fishing license. You must report to customs if you land on shore. The only exception is port in a storm. You may secure your boat but not leave the area of reasonable safety.
That story is pure fiction:smash:

DonziJon
06-21-2011, 06:23 PM
Absolutely false. I know the law in this respect because of multiple fishing tournaments I fish. Next one will be Kingston Ontario at the mouth of the St Lawrence. Law is the same, either side. You can boat in foreign waters, without notice or permit. You may only fish or have fishing equipment with the intention of fishing if you hold that state's or provinces fishing license. You must report to customs if you land on shore. The only exception is port in a storm. You may secure your boat but not leave the area of reasonable safety.
That story is pure fiction:smash:

Which "Story" are you referring to....:nilly: I hate it when someone accuses me of being false. It makes me feel sad. :bonk: DJ

gmcars10
06-21-2011, 07:46 PM
I was referring to the story in a NY paper. I know many people that still cross either way and slip into a restaraunt for something to eat or to fuel up without calling. It's the story in the NY paper that was false. No enforcement officer in Canada can accept payment on the spot for a fine as well. :boat:

boxy
06-22-2011, 10:22 AM
The only time you can enter Canadian waters, without checking in, is when you are travelling US port to US port. Leave Ken's cottage, travel through Canadian waters, return to Ken's cottage is okay.

http://www.watertowndailytimes.com/article/20110622/NEWS02/306229942/-1/news

Looks like the US State Dept supports the the stop ...

silverghost
06-22-2011, 10:43 AM
Several articles say he was fined $1000. and his boat was impounded .

Did he ever get his boat back ?
Or~
Did he have to pay additional fines & fees to have his boat released ?

Carl C
06-22-2011, 10:50 AM
WTF?

All foreign boaters must report to Canadian authorities upon arrival in Canadian waters regardless of whether they anchor their boats, the State Department said, echoing the Canadian government's position. North country boaters have long been under the impression they did not have to report unless they anchored.

Carl C
06-22-2011, 11:00 AM
It's all true! Wow. WTF is Canada thinking? Good discussion and links here: http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/256274-canadian-waters.html#post3435767

DonziJon
06-22-2011, 11:04 AM
I guess Americans better start carrying their Passports when they go boating on The River..just in case you break down, or run out of gas. YUP.

Your PAPERS please........:bonk: DJ

mike o
06-22-2011, 11:35 AM
Well, spent some time on Shea's boat up there. No worms-or bait in his coolers (deliberately plural) :yes:. We are "good" to go. :canada:..........:kingme:

yeller
06-22-2011, 12:23 PM
Happens both ways. US has done the same thing to Canadian boaters. It's the same law on both sides of the border, it just depends on whether they inforce it or not.

After 911, security got very, very, tight in many places when entering US waters. After a couple years, it loosened up a lot again, but if you don't know what the country's procedure is for a particular area, you should find out before entering.

jamiller
06-22-2011, 12:44 PM
there is an article in todays 6/22/11 buffalo news on page 8A about this very incident.
read it, it's scary.

Mckillop
06-22-2011, 01:41 PM
Here is another article from an industry mailing:
http://www.tradeonlytoday.com/home/514726-us-backs-canadian-seizure-of-fishing-boat

Carl C
06-22-2011, 02:58 PM
Here is another article from an industry mailing:
http://www.tradeonlytoday.com/home/514726-us-backs-canadian-seizure-of-fishing-boat

Copied from that link:

And while boaters can check in with Canadian authorities by phone at 1 (888) 226-7277, they must use a CBSA telephone on land to do so. Those phones are located at some marinas and other locations, although in practice anglers might have to go out of their way to comply.

So how the hell am I supposed to notify customs that I am cruising Canadian waters if I must first call from a land based phone?

Also, quoted from Lakeland Boating's Lake Huron Ports O' Call, "when you anchor, dock or beach your boat anywhere in Canada you must report to customs".

The comments after that article bring up some good points too.

More, copied from "Pat's Boating in Canada: St. Lawrence Seaway":

Crossing the Border

American visitors entering Canada must report to Canadian Customs & Immigration before they can legally stop at an park island or anchor in Canadian waters. You may phone from designated telephones at most marinas and town docks.

Entering the US, you will find that many towns have yellow immigration phones in special boxes equipped with two-way video terminal for interactive conversation with an immigration officer. Previously the captain had to check in before the crew could set foot on U.S. soil, but now your crew must accompeny you to be seen on camera and answer questions. Take your ship's papers and photo ID and any other papers required for everyone on board.

Landing at islands:
Boaters arriving from Canada to visit Potters Beach (Grindstone Island) or Waterston Park (near Ivy Lea) must report to U.S. Customs before landing or anchoring, unless they have an I-68 form (or NEXUS in some areas) and report their arrival (there are no phones at either location). Boats heading for the St. Lawrence Islands Park must first check in with Canada Border Services - you may use phones located at most marinas. Check the latest regulations before you go.

Another interesting item:

http://www.freep.com/article/20101019/SPORTS10/10190342/1356/SPORTS/Canada-cracking-down-on-angler-violations

Carl C
06-22-2011, 03:23 PM
Another item about boating in Canadian waters in the 1,000 Islands area. It seems to just be fishers they are after? Do not have open alcohol in Ontario though. I'm sorry if I'm beating this to death but it directly affects me. I just took "Tyler22" (Gregg) on a cruise deep into Canadian waters on Lake St. Clair.

http://www.watertowndailytimes.com/article/20100816/OPINION02/308169996/-1/OPINION02

gmcars10
06-22-2011, 05:22 PM
Well, I guess I am proven wrong by the articles and quotes seen here. I apologise for making a strong statement but this is absolutely unheard of in fishing tournaments. The Kingston open requires proof of insurance, an Ontario License for the Pro and both NY state and Ontario License for the amateur as he does not know what water the pro will fish. If the pro is going to NY he needs to have a NY license as well. American pro's and amateurs fish the event as well. Same deal when fishing St Clair and down the Detroit river to Erie or up the St Clair river to Port Huron. I know of no one that will change anything in the way they handle crossing international boundaries on the water. No tournament has posted any warning as well. Just wondering if there is more to this than meets the eye. I was not able to open the article in the Buffalo paper online. I would like to read the article that said the Canadian officials demanded payment on the spot? That one makes no sense at all. Any given day, you will see hundreds of American bass boats fishing Canadian waters and vice versa.
This is absolutely baffling???:confused::confused::confused:

Carl C
06-22-2011, 05:41 PM
Well, I guess I am proven wrong by the articles and quotes seen here. I apologise for making a strong statement but this is absolutely unheard of in fishing tournaments. The Kingston open requires proof of insurance, an Ontario License for the Pro and both NY state and Ontario License for the amateur as he does not know what water the pro will fish. If the pro is going to NY he needs to have a NY license as well. American pro's and amateurs fish the event as well. Same deal when fishing St Clair and down the Detroit river to Erie or up the St Clair river to Port Huron. I know of no one that will change anything in the way they handle crossing international boundaries on the water. No tournament has posted any warning as well. Just wondering if there is more to this than meets the eye. I was not able to open the article in the Buffalo paper online. I would like to read the article that said the Canadian officials demanded payment on the spot? That one makes no sense at all. Any given day, you will see hundreds of American bass boats fishing Canadian waters and vice versa.
This is absolutely baffling???:confused::confused::confused:

The article:

Owens protests boating policy
LETTER TO CANADA: Forced check-in may harm tourism, he says
By MARC HELLER
TIMES WASHINGTON CORRESPONDENT
TUESDAY, JUNE 21, 2011
ARTICLE OPTIONS
A A A

WASHINGTON — Forcing boaters to report to Canadian customs every time they venture into Canadian waters could cripple tourism on the St. Lawrence River, Rep. William L. Owens told the Canadian government Monday.

Mr. Owens, D-Plattsburgh, wrote to the Canadian ambassador to the United States, Garry Doer, in response to the story of Roy M. Anderson, a Thousand Island Park resident whose boat was seized by Canada Border Services Agency officers who found him fishing, unanchored, in a familiar spot in Gananoque Narrows on May 30.

"Forcing every fisherman and private boater to report to a Canadian customs officer every time they enter Canadian waters is unacceptable and impractical," Mr. Owens wrote. "It will cripple the tourism and fishing industries in the Thousand Islands region."

Mr. Owens, a lawyer, also took issue with the Canada Border Services Agency's latest interpretation of Canadian customs law, saying it clearly exempts boaters who are traveling through Canadian waters between points in the United States.

ADVERTISEMENT

He called the incident troubling and asked for a reply from Mr. Doer within 10 business days.

For years, American boaters have fished or traveled in Canadian waters with the understanding that as long as they did not anchor, they did not have to report to Canada customs. But the enforcement action against Mr. Anderson — he had to pay a $1,000 fine on the spot to keep his boat — has thrown that impression into doubt.

He had a valid Canadian fishing license and has fished in Gananoque Narrows many times, Mr. Anderson said last week.

The Canadian government has been mum on the issue. The Canada Border Services Agency has not returned messages to the Watertown Daily Times relayed through the Canadian Embassy in Washington. And a frequent boater on the St. Lawrence who works at the World Bank in Washington said Monday that CBSA agents twice hung up the phone on him Monday when he called with questions about the policy and said he had read about Mr. Anderson's case in the Times.

Mr. Owens is not the only U.S. official taking notice. Sen. Charles E. Schumer, D-N.Y., wrote to the Canada Border Services Agency, asking for clarification about the policy as well as a greater effort to spell out the policy to first-time offenders who had no illegal intent.

New York's deputy secretary of state for public safety, Elizabeth Glazer, wrote to the Canadian public safety minister, Vic Toews, requesting that the Canadian government return the $1,000 Mr. Anderson was required to pay and requesting further explanation of his detention.

"This treatment of a New York state resident by the Canadian Border Services Agency is troubling and a significant cause of concern to New York State residents," she wrote.

The man who said Border Services Agency agents hung up on him, Timothy J. Austin, said in a telephone interview Monday night that he has fished for many years on the St. Lawrence, including in Canadian waters, and has never run into this issue. Two summers ago, he said, he was stopped by Canadian environmental officers who thoroughly checked his boat but has been under the impression he may fish in Canadian waters with his Canadian fishing license and not have to report to customs as long as he does not set anchor.

After reading Mr. Anderson's story, he said, "I didn't realize the law was written that way."

He said he called Border Services on Monday and was hung up on by two agents before calling a third time and talking to a woman who gave him a phone number that U.S. boaters can call before taking a fishing trip into Canadian waters.

Mr. Austin said she told him that one call is sufficient for the entire St. Lawrence River and that boaters can simply call before leaving, any time of the day or night. The number is 1 (888) 226-7277.

SHOW COMMENTS (9)

silverghost
06-22-2011, 06:05 PM
This is just plain crazyness on both the Canadian & USA side of those waterways.

When was the last time, or first time for that matter, any of Osama Bin Laden's terriorist followers were spotted fishing or boating in those waters ?

I'll answer my own question~
NEVER ~~~~

boxy
06-22-2011, 07:10 PM
A couple of questions .......
1) What was he fishing for, unanchored in a swift narrow section of the river???
Ontario Fishing Seasons are in the link below....
http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/stdprodconsume/groups/lr/@mnr/@letsfish/documents/document/mnr_e001337.pdf

2) As a Canadian, do I really care if a Democrat Congressman thinks that Canada Border Services enforcing a longstanding regulation is going to affect New York State tourism....
"A northern New York congressman says the U.S. tourism and fishing industries along the St. Lawrence River will be crippled by Canada's policy requiring boaters to report to customs every time they venture into Canadian waters"

Boaters traveling from point A to B can still do so without calling in. If you want to slip over, fish our waters, and return to the States you have to call in.

The third weekend in June is always a fun time in my Dad's cove, lots of NYS bass fisherman trying to get a jump on bass season in our cove, problem is bass season opens last weekend in June in Ontario. I've got a real nice collection of bass lures that were thrown on our dock while they were trying to drop them into the bass nest in the boat slip. 10 pound test isn't much of a match for a steel toed boot and a filet knife ...... :)

gmcars10
06-22-2011, 07:19 PM
For those interested in following another thread, there is one going on 'Big Fat Bass'
I guess this topic was sure to come up. Interesting comment by one officer according to one of the members.

http://www.bigfatbass.com/viewthread.php?tid=17100

Carl C
06-22-2011, 08:54 PM
More good discussion here (get the flare gun off your boat):

http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/020614.html

It is all really vague. Is stopping for a drink (non-alcohol) or a quick swim engaging in activity? I don't think I'm gonna sweat it. It sounds like an isolated incident and one that only occurred because the boaters were fishing. I'll be damn sure I have a credit card though, just in case.

mike o
06-23-2011, 07:21 AM
So. I go to the store above the dive shop in Rockport.:yes: Steve, is there a official phone in Rockport? I like hanging out there for a cup or 2 and watch the dive folks fill up the tanks and get the divers in the boat. Ken where where we when I had the 16 and you couldnt find the place to report to have dinner ect with Ed D and fellow :canada: 2 yrs ago. Ill spend the whole day on that side,:angel: till I get thirsty.....:kingme:

CHACHI
06-23-2011, 08:09 AM
So. I go to the store above the dive shop in Rockport.:yes: Steve, is there a official phone in Rockport? I like hanging out there for a cup or 2 and watch the dive folks fill up the tanks and get the divers in the boat. Ken where where we when I had the 16 and you couldnt find the place to report to have dinner ect with Ed D and fellow :canada: 2 yrs ago. Ill spend the whole day on that side,:angel: till I get thirsty.....:kingme:

Mike, if you are talking when we crossed over and you took a couple of big ones over the bow, that was Gananoque, and I had to go looking for the customs office. The call in phone wasn't working.

Ke

mike o
06-23-2011, 08:40 AM
It was only one that time. Last yr :yes: , it was one after another, for an hour +:nilly:You should have come.....:kingme:

NYPachanga22
06-23-2011, 09:01 AM
Here's the deal. Old regulation that was loosely enforced for a long time which I would prepare to start following more closely. Remember to have your boat ready for US AND Canadian Coast Gaurd checks. Know local laws (can't be drinking in Canadian waters up in that area period unless anchored--need to check in or tied up---need to check in). Now where I am a little skeptical is on where we go to find this whole checking in policy and regulations. I have been searching and have calls out to both customs agencies to get a copy of the regulation in its entirety. I know the policies both with and without NEXUS IF I am definately going to or from the US/Can with intentions of stopping or staying over. The stopping to swim or drifting is where things get gray. I guess if you are crusing and don't stop should be fine....if you stop and take a dip or have a beer---just do it in your respective home waters to be on the safe side. BTW there are a lot more patrols on both sides being stepped up in that area where this guy was nabbed up due to a LOT of suspicious crossing activity. Not saying this guy had anything to do with that...but part of why they might be cracking down.

CHACHI
06-23-2011, 09:28 AM
Mr. Austin said she told him that one call is sufficient for the entire St. Lawrence River and that boaters can simply call before leaving, any time of the day or night. The number is 1 (888) 226-7277.

I called but this number knows nothing about the policy.

They gave me another number to call 613-659-2301 annd said I should ask for Superintendent Craig Kennedy. I called and I did ask for him.

He said, if you fish, stop your boat to jump in and swim, shut off your engine, or anything else to stop your transit thru Canadian waters, you check in with customs.

Ken

NYPachanga22
06-23-2011, 09:37 AM
I called but this number knows nothing about the policy.

They gave me another number to call 613-659-2301 annd said I should ask for Superintendent Craig Kennedy. I called and I did ask for him.

He said, if you fish, stop your boat to jump in and swim, shut off your engine, or anything else to stop your transit thru Canadian waters, you check in with customs.

Ken

Looks like my assumptions are matching someone's thinking but I would feel better if I could have a document in writing.

boxy
06-23-2011, 10:41 AM
Mike there is a Customs Dock at Rockport. There is also a phone in Ivy Lea and Gananoque

boxy
06-23-2011, 10:46 AM
This came from 1 of Carl's links, the part I highlighted makes a lot of sense ....

Subsection (1) of the statute essentially states every person entering Canada must enter only at a designated customs office and present himself or herself to a customs agent for questioning. Subsection (5) provides that subsection (1) does not apply to anybody entering Canadian waters while proceeding from one place outside of Canada to another place outside of Canada, unless an officer requires the person to comply with subsection (1).
If you're simply passing through Canadian waters, with no intention of landing or anchoring in Canada, there is no need to report to Canadian customs unless you are ordered to do so by an officer.

Like I stated above, I don't think fishing in Canadian waters (even if you don't anchor) is the same thing as merely passing through. When you are fishing, you are engaging in a regulated activity. If you're fishing in Canadian waters, you are subjecting yourself to the jurisdiction of Canadian fishing laws. It would seem to make sense that if you are engaging in activities in Canada, you should check in with Canadian customs. I know it's a hassle, but if you want to avoid legal problems, you really should check in if you are fishing Canadian waters from a U.S. port.

CHACHI
08-04-2011, 02:10 PM
As a follow up to the fore mentioned fine. The perp's fine was reduced to $1.00.

Now the article didn't say if it was Canadian or US dollars.

Ken

Carl C
08-04-2011, 07:20 PM
As a follow up to the fore mentioned fine. The perp's fine was reduced to $1.00.

Ken

Yay! Good news! :canada::salute:

Walt. H.
08-04-2011, 09:44 PM
Carl hope you don't mind me asking but what does your new avatar note say?
I tried to copy and enlarge the print but it just got blurry and still couldn't make it out.
Tanks,
WH

silverghost
08-04-2011, 11:04 PM
Great Outcome~

This is yet another example of what negative international Media & Web publicity can do to change stupid & greedy government officials thinking.

Ghost
08-04-2011, 11:23 PM
I tried to copy and enlarge the print but it just got blurry and still couldn't make it out.
Tanks,
WH

I seem to recall a story about some crank leaving a note on his trailer...

Carl C
08-05-2011, 07:07 AM
Tanks,
WH

I seem to recall a story about some crank leaving a note on his trailer...

I thought about going over it with a sharpie but then it wouldn't be original. It's a love letter that I cherish very much ;). It was left on my truck at the ramp on Lake Oakland where I have been boating for almost 20 years. I guess if it can't be read I will change the pics but here is the original: (the threat was reported to two police agencies and there have been no problems).
http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/xx275/CARLC222/Pictures513Large.jpg

mattyboy
08-05-2011, 07:46 AM

Ken

the judges name was "set 'em loose bruce" :p

Walt. H.
08-10-2011, 01:19 PM
I thought about going over it with a sharpie but then it wouldn't be original. It's a love letter that I cherish very much ;). It was left on my truck at the ramp on Lake Oakland where I have been boating for almost 20 years. I guess if it can't be read I will change the pics but here is the original: (the threat was reported to two police agencies and there have been no problems).

Thanks Carl,

Thanks for the answer I just returned from the Jersey shore yesterday and I remember that incident now, that nasty note was a few years ago and your engine is even louder since then going from a 496 to a 525.:rlol:

Carl C
08-10-2011, 03:07 PM
Thanks Carl,

Thanks for the answer I just returned from the Jersey shore yesterday and I remember that incident now, that nasty note was a few years ago and your engine is even louder since then going from a 496 to a 525.:rlol:

Yes it is louder now and the other Donzis aren't very quiet either! BTW, I just framed that note to hang in my cabin. You don't move onto an all sports lake known for performance boats if you want "peace & quiet"! Anyway, I am beating a dead horse now even though this fits nicely under the name of this thread!

Walt. H.
08-10-2011, 10:32 PM
Anyway, I am beating a dead horse now even though this fits nicely under the name of this thread!
:rofl:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IU1bzZheWk

Phil S
08-10-2011, 11:33 PM
Punch it a few times in neutral for me Carl C. It'd be music to my ears.....:wink:

With kind regards,
Phil S.