PDA

View Full Version : Near disaster... now the repair - 18c

Carpe Donzi
06-19-2011, 08:52 PM
Nothing more thrilling than to have the pilot's seat (18c) let go when at speed. Absolutely no warning, and the seat went to port with me in it. Bad enough, but my right forearm hit the throttle and the boat went hard over to port, almost rolling.

Having survived, excepting my shorts, I now need a repair. Can one run bolts down through the steel mounting brackets from the inside of the bucket? Or is it time to put all new hardware in? I want to be able to use the existing bucket.

Glad to still be here.

Greg Guimond
06-19-2011, 09:08 PM
Having been tossed into the river last year at 70+ off my 16 I can relate. Glad you made it :angel: and hopefully not many broken bones.

pipnit
06-20-2011, 04:14 PM
So the pedestal stayed attached to the deck but the seat broke off from the pedestal? Holy smokes, that must have been scary as all get out!

I was always afraid of something like this happening with my seats but at the deck end of things. My solution was to roll some stainless bar the hardway and punch and tap holes to the same as the pedestal. I sandwiched the deck between the ring on the underside and the pedestal. Maybe you could do a similar thing for the seat?

Carbo
06-20-2011, 06:57 PM
Having been tossed into the river last year at 70+ off my 16 I can relate. Glad you made it :angel: and hopefully not many broken bones.

Oh great. Maybe I'll stay at 150 hp and stop thinking bigger.

thatgirl
06-21-2011, 06:29 AM
Oh great. Maybe I'll stay at 150 hp and stop thinking bigger.
bigger is not always better

Greg Guimond
06-21-2011, 07:29 AM
That's a choice only you can make Carbo. Wear the lanyard, wear the jacket, check the equipment. Hard to tell that a seat was ready to snap I suspect. Did you have the lanyard attached Carpe?

Ghost
06-21-2011, 09:46 AM
Glad you're okay. -Mike

pipnit
06-21-2011, 08:01 PM
am I the only one who has had problems with the tubing in the pedestal deforming from launching and landing and then the press fitting having become loose?
I got some large, very thick wall aluminum and turned it down to fit in there pedestal and then tigged around the top and the bottom to keep it in place. That pedestal is a nasty, dirty casting but you can weld on it if careful.

Tony
06-21-2011, 08:51 PM

Are you related to Ken Chachi? :eek:

:beer:

Greg Guimond
06-21-2011, 09:11 PM
I have no idea......was Ken thrown out of his boat at 79mph? If he was and lived to talk about it, then we must be brothers somehow :)

roadtrip se
06-22-2011, 08:34 AM
Nothing more thrilling than to have the pilot's seat (18c) let go when at speed. Absolutely no warning, and the seat went to port with me in it. Bad enough, but my right forearm hit the throttle and the boat went hard over to port, almost rolling.
Having survived, excepting my shorts, I now need a repair. Can one run bolts down through the steel mounting brackets from the inside of the bucket? Or is it time to put all new hardware in? I want to be able to use the existing bucket.
Glad to still be here.

Carpe Donzi...

You need new hardware. Take a look at the Garelick EEZEE systems for a much better slider system. I had my Springfield slider explode in my 22 at 70 so I know that "I survived" feeling. I have used the Garelick stuff ever since and it still functions well, even with my 235 pushed all the way back in the seat.

The 18 is more involved from an installation perspective, but do a search here and you will find blow by blow instructions on how to accomplish the task. Look for posts from Ranman, as I know he went through the process a while back. Randy is as big, or bigger than I am, and I know he was satisfied with the results.

Tony
06-22-2011, 02:53 PM
I have no idea......was Ken thrown out of his boat at 79mph? If he was and lived to talk about it, then we must be brothers somehow :)

He wasn't going 79, but he did get tossed out of his 22 and into the St. Lawrence River...and lived to tell about it!

Roadtrip is accurate in advocating for the Garelick system, they are well-built.

seano
07-07-2011, 11:15 AM
anyone ever mount the garelick 75091 directly to the deck and eliminate the pedestal? I am considering doing this on my 16 so I don't sit so high out of the boat...

CHACHI
07-07-2011, 11:25 AM
[quote=Tony;605439]He wasn't going 79, but he did get tossed out of his 22 and into the St. Lawrence River...and lived to tell about it!

quote]
At 79 I would of worn my lifejacket.:wink:

Ken