PDA

View Full Version : Any experience with a Turbo Vector prop?

Mckillop
06-18-2011, 01:02 PM
Has anyone ran a Turbo Vector prop? I'm thinking about trying the 24p 3 blade Vector. Then maybe having it labbed

tmdog
06-18-2011, 05:40 PM
I ran a 24 Vector on the 18. Performed well and moderately fast compared to a Hydro and Txp.
I believe the Vec is 14 1/2 dia. Hydro- -15 1/2 and TXP- -14 3/4. I have a Vector, like new on the shelf. Let me know if interested.
As for labbing it, save your money. Gain is minimal.

Mckillop
06-18-2011, 06:52 PM
Pm sent

mrfixxall
06-19-2011, 12:36 AM
if you have steps in your hull you will never get the boat to get on plane,you need the 4 blade.

Donzi_Dude
06-19-2011, 06:28 AM
maybe im wrong but i get the feeling your looking for more speed. props and trim tab settings are not going to help.

spent years chasing, before the internet. back in the day when people actually tried something to see if it worked or not and didnt take the internet guru's opinions as gospel.

:pimp:

roadtrip se
06-19-2011, 10:32 AM
maybe im wrong but i get the feeling your looking for more speed. props and trim tab settings are not going to help.
spent years chasing, before the internet. back in the day when people actually tried something to see if it worked or not and didnt take the internet guru's opinions as gospel.

Yes, you are wrong.

Props can make a difference in performance, big time.

Tab settings can really foul up or improve the handling of any boat.

Searching an internet web site for previous experiences, written by folks who actually have experience with the topic you are interested in, can be a good place to start.

And then taking this advice, and going out and trying it for yourself with at least some reasonable level of expectation, is exactly what seems to be occurring here.

roadtrip se
06-19-2011, 10:42 AM
if you have steps in your hull you will never get the boat to get on plane,you need the 4 blade.

The 25ZX is a non-stepped hull. And for what its worth, the 28ZX with a two step hull, really likes the Mirage+ in most instances, so the four blade theory is a good one, but not necessarily accurate in real world testing all the time. Pretty good example of what I just posted above...

mrfixxall
06-19-2011, 02:06 PM
The 25ZX is a non-stepped hull. And for what its worth, the 28ZX with a two step hull, really likes the Mirage+ in most instances, so the four blade theory is a good one, but not necessarily accurate in real world testing all the time. Pretty good example of what I just posted above...

Cool, then he shouldn't have any problems then..28 zx,i will agree with you in a twin application but a single with steppes ?? probably wont be able to get on plane..

Donzi_Dude
06-19-2011, 02:20 PM
Yes, you are wrong.
Props can make a difference in performance, big time.

um. how so?

i never said a word about handling. i was speaking of top speed.

maddad
06-19-2011, 05:29 PM
um. how so?
Donzi Dude, my small block/Volvo 280 powered 18 went from 65 to 75 with only a change from an ultra to a solas. You can't go fast if the boat is uncontrollable.

Donzi_Dude
06-19-2011, 05:40 PM
Donzi Dude, my small block/Volvo 280 powered 18 went from 65 to 75 with only a change from an ultra to a solas. You can't go fast if the boat is uncontrollable.

dude, no offence but im well aware of the handling aspects of props.

i fail to see the man had a handling problem and dont understand why we are even talking about one other than to say i was wrong?

maddad
06-19-2011, 06:08 PM
i fail to see the man had a handling problem and dont understand why we are even talking about one other than to say i was wrong?
Believe it or not, the reason I posted was to tie how a prop makes a boat handle to it's ultimate top speed. I did this without hearing about, or imagining a handeling problem by the thread starter.

Donzi_Dude
06-19-2011, 06:09 PM
ya, my bad. handle is most important aspect in my book for a happy boater.

roadtrip se
06-19-2011, 08:04 PM
um. how so?

I said "performance" and I was referencing how hard the boat ran, not how it handled. So quit splitting my words, and I stand by what I stated.

I've run three, four, and five blades on my boat and every one of them has a different impact on the top end of the boat, so yes like I said, the performance can differ depending on the boat and the specific set-up.

And of course, handling of a specific prop in a specific circumstance can make all the difference on the top end of a boat. And your intial statment still rings as wrong to me, because the right prop will show a significant top end difference from another, based on all of these factors.

roadtrip se
06-19-2011, 08:06 PM
Cool, then he shouldn't have any problems then..28 zx,i will agree with you in a twin application but a single with steppes ?? probably wont be able to get on plane..

Neither the 25zx or 18c has a step in the hull. At least none that I have ever seen.

mrfixxall
06-19-2011, 08:18 PM
Neither the 25zx or 18c has a step in the hull. At least none that I have ever seen.

Was not sure about the zx! Thanks for clearing that one up..I never mentioned a 18c so dont know where that one came from..

Mckillop
06-19-2011, 11:41 PM
Thanks for the input guts. The boat ran faster with the 23p 3 blade MP than the 23p Rev4. The boat for some reason or another did not seem to like the Rev4, which is strange because other 25's have. The 23p mirage plus was great, but is was spinning almost 5200 rpm and damn near hitting the rev limiter. With the rev4, it ran at 4600 and felt like it took forever to get there. Was also slower having the extra drag in the water. I also ran kelly's 25p tempest plus, could't quite get the rpm's needed. So I am hoping the 24p 3 blade Vector will be the ideal prop for the boat. Hopefully I'll get the rpm (4900) and the speed (65). Boat has plenty of power, no need for an extra blade in the water. And Roadtrip is 100% right, every boat likes and handles props completely differently. Props make ALL the difference in performance and speed from anything I have ever seen and experienced.

Mckillop
06-19-2011, 11:49 PM

I disagree. Props have a ton to do with speed and performance. Especially in a bigger heavier boat.
The earlier post about trim tabs was more about handling and getting on a plane.

Donzi_Dude
06-20-2011, 04:13 AM
ok, so im wrong about you wanting more top speed? how much more top speed are you expecting from the prop switch to make me wrong about props???

Donzi_Dude
06-20-2011, 04:52 AM
I said "performance" and I was referencing how hard the boat ran, not how it handled. So quit splitting my words, and I stand by what I stated.
because the right prop will show a significant top end difference from another, based on all of these factors.

so without splitting my words how was i wrong about the top speed of his boat?

we are not talking about significant differances between other props. we are talking about the props hes already running.

Mckillop
06-20-2011, 10:16 AM
ok, so im wrong about you wanting more top speed? how much more top speed are you expecting from the prop switch to make me wrong about props???

I'm hoping for maybe 3 or 4 mph is all. Obviously I'm not expecting much more than that, but when you have a boat like mine which is not all that fast, i'll take every mph I can get. I just want to be able to run at 65 which cshould not be a problem with the right prop. I was running 63 with the 23p Mirage Plus at 5100 rpm. Hoping to drop to 4800-4900 rpm and jump up a couple mph's.

Donzi_Dude
06-20-2011, 03:20 PM
ya, thats what i was thinking.

i was just trying to help because your not going to find a prop 3-4MPH faster unless the thing is slamming off the revlimiter hard is all and didnt want to see you chasing ghosts.

best of luck. is it a 454 or 502?

Mckillop
06-20-2011, 03:39 PM
ya, thats what i was thinking.

i was just trying to help because your not going to find a prop 3-4MPH faster unless the thing is slamming off the revlimiter hard is all and didnt want to see you chasing ghosts.

best of luck. is it a 454 or 502?

502. Thanks man

pipnit
06-20-2011, 04:00 PM
i get the feeling your looking for more speed. props and trim tab settings are not going to help.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_LoPS71y0JpQ/TQWLCW2K9hI/AAAAAAAABgw/dyhZHK8r_I4/s1600/huh.gif

Donzi_Dude
06-20-2011, 05:15 PM
if there is anything left on the table a 25 3blade...

Stevo440
06-20-2011, 05:53 PM
Tried a Turbo Vector on a 22C and it wanted to twist the steering wheel out of my hand at speed, I don't remember left or right it was a few years ago. I tried a Turbo 1 the same day and it worked a whole lot better, no torquing left or right at all and cured all the problems I was having with the M+ 23p the boat was safe from idle all the way to top speed . That's all the input I can donate to this topic.

Steve

osur866
06-20-2011, 07:59 PM
Having tried a host of props on my boat (over 2 dozen) I can tell you without a doubt different props do have an impact either positively or negatively on top speed along with no speed changes at all. Some that you think might work better often don't and are disappointing and some that you think won't work might be the hot ticket! Thats why you shouldn't be afraid to try anything and everything you can get your hands on. Another note here is driver preference and the kind of water your boating in. I run things that most wouldn't like and to be honest they have suprised me that I have landed on what I have but my driving style, boat set-up, and waters I boat in seem to pull me back to what I run and like the best, and what works the best for my set-up. As far as speed improvements I've seen a 10 MPH difference between 2 different props turning them at almost the same RPM's, both 3 blades so to throw a blanket statement out there saying speed gains can't be seen by trying different props is just a flat out unintelligent statement , but then again consider the source!!!! There's people on some of these fourms that have been around awhile and actually tried many different things then there are some that are keyboard boaters and like to offer advice based on no supporting experience. Good luck and don't be afraid of trying anything you can get your hands on!

CaribouLou
06-20-2011, 08:17 PM
Thanks for the input guts. The boat ran faster with the 23p 3 blade MP than the 23p Rev4. The boat for some reason or another did not seem to like the Rev4, which is strange because other 25's have. The 23p mirage plus was great, but is was spinning almost 5200 rpm and damn near hitting the rev limiter. With the rev4, it ran at 4600 and felt like it took forever to get there. Was also slower having the extra drag in the water. I also ran kelly's 25p tempest plus, could't quite get the rpm's needed. So I am hoping the 24p 3 blade Vector will be the ideal prop for the boat. Hopefully I'll get the rpm (4900) and the speed (65). Boat has plenty of power, no need for an extra blade in the water. And Roadtrip is 100% right, every boat likes and handles props completely differently. Props make ALL the difference in performance and speed from anything I have ever seen and experienced.

What speed/RPM did you see with mine?

Donzi_Dude
06-21-2011, 04:21 AM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_LoPS71y0JpQ/TQWLCW2K9hI/AAAAAAAABgw/dyhZHK8r_I4/s1600/huh.gif

pretty simple really, my statement has been taken out of the context of a specific hull, engine, drive, prop combination and my words split to include the entire water wheeled universe so i can be WRONG!

some members here subscribe to the "romper room" mentality.

Having tried a host of props on my boat (over 2 dozen) I can tell you without a doubt different props do have an impact either positively or negatively on top speed along with no speed changes at all.

so your boat is a 25' ZX with a 502 and you gained how many MPH swapping out the 23" M+ for what? the 454/502 MPI run best on the rev limiter 9 times out of 10.

:cool:

BUIZILLA
06-21-2011, 06:43 AM
23 Turbo

Donzi_Dude
06-21-2011, 03:55 PM
23 Turbo

the 23 turbo leaves much to be desired with that bottom design as far as handling. again one can never say forsure until its tried.

BUIZILLA
06-21-2011, 04:01 PM
the 23 turbo leaves much to be desired with that bottom design as far as handling. again one can never say forsure until its tried. what proof do you have?

Donzi_Dude
06-21-2011, 04:02 PM
what proof do you have?

i got some pudding.

:)

BUIZILLA
06-21-2011, 04:05 PM
:rolleyes:

Mckillop
06-21-2011, 04:05 PM
What speed/RPM did you see with mine?

I'm running your prop again tonight for the final test before I buy a 24p 3 Blade Turbo. Maybe I'll catch some bass.lol It is a Tempest after all

Donzi_Dude
06-21-2011, 04:54 PM
http://www.turbo-props.com/products/turbo-vector-series_tvs

looks like it may work but if the boat does pick up you will be back on the limiter again with the 24".

CaribouLou
06-21-2011, 06:05 PM
I'm running your prop again tonight for the final test before I buy a 24p 3 Blade Turbo. Maybe I'll catch some bass.lol It is a Tempest after all

Any bass caught with my prop are mine. Please clean and fillet them.

Mckillop
06-21-2011, 06:24 PM
Any bass caught with my prop are mine. Please clean and fillet them.

haha, I'll try, but I have been too busy cleaning off all the GD tree sap off your prop.

Donzi_Dude
06-21-2011, 07:16 PM
haha, I'll try, but I have been too busy cleaning off all the GD tree sap off your prop.

LoL!

actually the boat works great for bass. bottom looks like a fish's belly. it like majik or sumpin'!

LMAO!

Mckillop
06-22-2011, 01:45 PM
So I ran another 25p 3 blade last night. The boat actually seemed to like it. I was running at 63mph on the GPS at about 4700 rpm. So next up is the 24p 3 blade Turbo Vector. If I can gain another couple hundred rpm and maybe 1 or 2 mph I think it will be pretty dialed in for a stock 502mpi in a 25ZX

CaribouLou
06-22-2011, 07:20 PM
which prop was it?

osur866
06-22-2011, 07:39 PM
So I ran another 25p 3 blade last night. The boat actually seemed to like it. I was running at 63mph on the GPS at about 4700 rpm. So next up is the 24p 3 blade Turbo Vector. If I can gain another couple hundred rpm and maybe 1 or 2 mph I think it will be pretty dialed in for a stock 502mpi in a 25ZX

Have the 25 labbed and you will gain both speed and rpm's

Mckillop
06-22-2011, 08:47 PM
which prop was it?

Yours

CaribouLou
06-22-2011, 09:23 PM
Yours

Sweet! Not bad numbers from it....

Mckillop
06-22-2011, 10:35 PM
Have the 25 labbed and you will gain both speed and rpm's

I know, I just can't keep spending money on props. Eventually I will get a nice lab bed prop

CaribouLou
06-22-2011, 10:58 PM
Before you buy another prop C, let me run my boat. I might have to step up to a 27p with the new motor.

osur866
06-22-2011, 11:09 PM
I know, I just can't keep spending money on props. Eventually I will get a nice lab bed prop
I know the feeling, I'm needing to have another done myself, if that doesn't bring my RPM's down then I'll be re-gearing and starting with my lowest pitch and working back up.

blackhawk
06-23-2011, 03:14 PM
Your current prop does not have to be "way off" for you to see some decent speed gains with a prop change. Years ago I switched from a Mirage + 25 to a standard Mirage 25 and gained 200 rpm and 2-3 mph.

blackhawk
06-23-2011, 03:16 PM
The 23p mirage plus was great, but is was spinning almost 5200 rpm and damn near hitting the rev limiter. With the rev4, it ran at 4600 and felt like it took forever to get there. Was also slower having the extra drag in the water.

That is odd. My Rev4 25 pulled almost the same rpm as a Mirage+ 25. It was maybe 100 rpm lower and pulled the same speeds. I know every boat is different but 600 rpm is a lot.

Donzi_Dude
06-23-2011, 04:01 PM
Your current prop does not have to be "way off" for you to see some decent speed gains with a prop change. Years ago I switched from a Mirage + 25 to a standard Mirage 25 and gained 200 rpm and 2-3 mph.

i dont think anybody said that you do have to be way off. the point i made and was blazed for is his boat was not going to pick up large gains over his currect setup.

the mirage is reported to be a faster prop than the +. looks like for you it was. maybe for the OP as well or a labbed 25+...

blackhawk
06-23-2011, 04:11 PM
i dont think anybody said that you do have to be way off. the point i made and was blazed for is his boat was not going to pick up large gains over his currect setup.
the mirage is reported to be a faster prop than the +. looks like for you it was. maybe for the OP as well or a labbed 25+...

I guess my point was you can pick up decent gains in top speed with just a prop change even if your current set-up is a good set-up.

I've also seen the flipside where I've tested props and seen rpms change and top-speed say pretty much the same.

That's shy I never pass up the chance to try a prop! :)

GBond
06-23-2011, 06:24 PM
Scott, Thanks for chiming in. Always, enjoyed your (NoBullchit) few on different topics that get goofy.

Greg Guimond
06-24-2011, 04:25 AM
I guess my point was you can pick up decent gains in top speed with just a prop change even if your current set-up is a good set-up.

I've also seen the flipside where I've tested props and seen rpms change and top-speed say pretty much the same.

That's shy I never pass up the chance to try a prop! :)

Agree, you have to try, try, try 'em .............

roadtrip se
06-24-2011, 08:27 AM

You were "blazed", by mutilple folks here btw, because you basically stated that it didn't make sense to pay attention to the "internet gurus" here, even though a few might have real world practical experiences that they would be willing to share via this site and others.

And then you decided it would be cool to lump in the folks that did have real world feedback as "romper room" cadidates or not respond to them at all, when questioned about your credentials as a prop guru, see Buzilla's question on the 23 Turbo. Nice.

Perhaps I can suggest a new picture for you in your signature line and you should be familiar with it, because it used to follow Romper Room in syndication, Bozo the Clown.

At this point, I'm just looking for a good fresh caught bass recipe out of this trash can of a thread. Anybody got one?

Donzi_Dude
06-24-2011, 03:59 PM
You were "blazed", by mutilple folks here btw, because you basically stated that it didn't make sense to pay attention to the "internet gurus" here, even though a few might have real world practical experiences that they would be willing to share via this site and others.
And then you decided it would be cool to lump in the folks that did have real world feedback as "romper room" cadidates or not respond to them at all, when questioned about your credentials as a prop guru, see Buzilla's question on the 23 Turbo. Nice.
Perhaps I can suggest a new picture for you in your signature line and you should be familiar with it, because it used to follow Romper Room in syndication, Bozo the Clown.

nice!

i didnt lump anybody in.

feeling guilty?

i have yet to be proven wrong and your making me more right all the time.

maddad
06-24-2011, 04:07 PM
At this point, I'm just looking for a good fresh caught bass recipe out of this trash can of a thread. Anybody got one?
Get the BBQ as hot as it gets, make a little boat out of foil to stop anything from dripping and catching fire, add a tbsp of teriyaki, throw the striped bass on top, wipe a little mayo on top and put it on for four minutes per 1/2" of thickness at the fat part.

roadtrip se
06-24-2011, 04:08 PM
nice!
i didnt lump anybody in.
feeling guilty?
i have yet to be proven wrong and your making me more right all the time.

Actually, if you could come up with a good fresh caught bass recipe, I might just feel a little guilty. Maybe you have more in terms of cooking skills than blogging skills, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, but you sure do have a way of creating a complete ruckous, where there was none before.

Try this:

I must think before I type...

And then maybe things might be a little more productive. Have a great weekend. Me? I am going to go run my boat. See ya...

roadtrip se
06-24-2011, 04:10 PM
Get the BBQ as hot as it gets, make a little boat out of foil to stop anything from dripping and catching fire, add a tbsp of teriyaki, throw the striped bass on top, wipe a little mayo on top and put it on for four minutes per 1/2" of thickness at the fat part.

That sounds awesome MD! Might give it a shot with a chunk of salmon, too.

Donzi_Dude
06-24-2011, 04:22 PM
Actually, if you could come up with a good fresh caught bass recipe, I might just feel a little guilty. Maybe you have more in terms of cooking skills than blogging skills, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, but you sure do have a way of creating a complete ruckous, where there was none before.
Try this:
And then maybe things might be a little more productive. Have a great weekend. Me? I am going to go run my boat. See ya...

LMAO, maybe your not so bad.

sorry but i dont eat bass. im more of a catch and release kind of dude, not much of a cook either so...

how am i doing?

:cool:

seems i know what im talking about despite being labeled a know nothing/troll.
sometimes the truth is controversial.

you have a good trip.

let us know how she runs.

:boat: