PDA

View Full Version : Any Buick tech around?

MOP
06-16-2011, 06:24 PM
My Park Avenue is sitting in the dentists lot with the column lock stuck, wiggled the wheel, played with the shifter nothing will move. Need to try to get it fixed quickly, have a hunch Buick dealer will be called in the AM!

mrfixxall
06-16-2011, 06:33 PM
My Park Avenue is sitting in the dentists lot with the column lock stuck, wiggled the wheel, played with the shifter nothing will move. Need to try to get it fixed quickly, have a hunch Buick dealer will be called in the AM!

what year mop? the older late 90's buicks had a problem with the pot metal parts in the colum going to the switch..the piece that slides on the colum with the gear lookin doo hicky brakes in half and then it wedges the key switch so you cant turn it..sometimes tilting the wheel will let you turn the key to get it started..

also,if your wheels are cranked all the way in one direction it will put the binding effect on the key switch and the part listed.sometimes turning the wheel in the same direction will let you turn the key but you have to put some muscle in it..

http://static.1aautoimages.com/partimage/STC/1ASTC00109/main.JPG

MOP
06-16-2011, 06:42 PM
It is the 98 super low mile one I picked up last Dec, I have tried tilting, wiggling etc. If I have to call Buick I will tell them to take the lock out.

P. S. the wheels are pretty straight with very little load on turning to either side.

mrfixxall
06-16-2011, 07:11 PM
It is the 98 super low mile one I picked up last Dec, I have tried tilting, wiggling etc. If I have to call Buick I will tell them to take the lock out.

P. S. the wheels are pretty straight with very little load on turning to either side.

try your other set of keys first,,spray some wd in the lock cylinder and work it in with the key..

dsparis
06-17-2011, 11:40 AM
Give the key a sharp rap inward. Sometimes this works and allows you to get it home or to a shop.

Rumblefish
06-17-2011, 12:38 PM
try your other set of keys first,,spray some wd in the lock cylinder and work it in with the key..

yep..... Those years if a fresh key wont work. it will need a new cylinder.

Conquistador_del_mar
06-17-2011, 01:29 PM
I bought a used car not too long ago and the only heavily used key barely worked. I got the key code from the dealership and had a new one made at a locksmith shop. It worked perfectly after that. It sounds like your problem was not the key turning the cylinder, but I wanted to pass this along. Bill

MOP
06-17-2011, 08:33 PM
Moral of the story! The tow truck came to cart it off to the dealer, the driver grabbed his hammer tapped on the key and wala. Drove it to the dealer for a new lock, he called later to say the lock was like new and just shot it full of graphite. To that end $55 tow truck without a tow and $52 at the dealer! This rates as one of those " Old to soon Smart too late"

Phil

Walt. H.
06-17-2011, 11:27 PM
Oh' Geezzzz!
What's that old expression: Sometimes you eat the bear, and other times the bear eats you.
Phil, I sure hope the bear didn't get indigestion but on second thought I bet he does.:tongue: