PDA

View Full Version : America's Cup pitch-pole

zelatore
06-16-2011, 10:25 AM
Oops....

Earlier this week the was media day for the America's Cup teams. Oracle Racing had their new cat out. Seems they need to learn a little about sailing on the bay. It can be ... challenging.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1MOsI1BfbM&feature=player_embedded

Here's the whole story from sail-world.
http://www.sail-world.com/USA/Americas-Cup:Coutts-capsizes-in-San-Francisco---crew-injured-+-video/84704

Marlin275
06-16-2011, 10:32 AM
Catamarans always do this when sailed very hard . . .
My brother raced a Pro Sail 40 cat and he has a great photo of their boat starting to pitch pole.

They should switch to Trimarans!

http://gamutnews.com/20110611/20461/video-americas-cup-champs-nearly-capsize-new-boat.html

Ghost
06-16-2011, 10:59 AM
I wish they'd been miked-up when it happened. I'd love to learn some new 'sailing terms.' :)

jl1962
06-16-2011, 12:00 PM
Hey - we've all been there. Funniest part is Russell was driving!

Would be amazing to see them take the big tri out in that stuff.

:boat:

silverghost
06-16-2011, 12:33 PM
I hope Oracle CEO Larry Ellison was on board his race boat at the time and got dunked in the drink when his boat pitch-poled & flipped.
He is an arrogant Jerk ~
It could not have happened to a nicer guy ?

VetteLT193
06-16-2011, 12:37 PM
Looks like the sailboat works just like the database. get one setting wrong and it all goes to hell.

Ghost
06-16-2011, 12:52 PM
Looks like the sailboat works just like the database. get one setting wrong and it all goes to hell.

AAAUUGHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! (I thought about it but held back for some strange reason.)

They should call support. "I don't know--do it again and see if the same thing happens..."

DannyK
06-17-2011, 08:11 AM
I guess I've strayed too far from my sailing roots (including SFYC Big Boat Series in the 70s/80s). I kept thinking "damn, that race committee boat (the Protector) is hot!"

zelatore
06-17-2011, 08:25 AM
The Protectors are pretty cool. A couple years ago when Marine Max (biggest Sea Ray dealer in the country) closed all their California stores the Protector guys moved into their old place just a mile or so down the road from my office in Oakland and set up their US distributorship. I guess it's a couple guys from Marin that own it.

They seem to be doing pretty decent business. Those boats are pretty expensive - I think you're looking at around $300K for the biggest ones. Can't be that much market for boats like that.

silverghost
06-17-2011, 09:00 AM
I guess I've strayed too far from my sailing roots (including SFYC Big Boat Series in the 70s/80s). I kept thinking "damn, that race committee boat (the Protector) is hot!"

It sounds like another old "Rag-Bagger" like me has come over from the dark side to powerboats .

I used to race Star, Comet & Lightning~ One-class sail race boats as a kid.

Now I am only a speedboat "Stink-pot" boater.

Morgan's Cloud
06-17-2011, 11:36 AM
I wish they'd been miked-up when it happened. I'd love to learn some new 'sailing terms.' :)
Things like 'Oh dear gracious ... we've never done that before'
Or maybe ' Wow , that was most exhillarating ! :kingme::biggrin.:

Very cool footage though ...you can almost feel what it must have been like to be on board .