PDA

View Full Version : 1988 Regazza won't start

DBusch
06-16-2011, 04:21 AM
I have a 1988 Regazza with a 5.7 Mercruiser. The boat is in a slip. When I first put the boat in the water it started right up after the winter layover in the Northeast. About 10 minutes later it stalled. I was able to restart it by "goosing" the accelerator pump. Eventually that did not work (10-15 minutes) and I decided to replace the Carb.

Replacing the carb did nothing and it did not fire at all. I decided to do a complete tuneup and along the way I replaced the Distributor (not just the cap), coil, wires, plugs. I get spark yet when I spray ether down the throat it still does not fire. If there is any connection at all, I have water in the bilge. It is a little milky but I chalk that up to all of the ether I've tried during the process.

Any ideas would be great. Thanks in advance

MOP
06-16-2011, 05:47 AM
I would be looking at water in the fuel as a possible culprit, dump your fuel filter into a container to see if any water settles to the bottom.

MOP
06-16-2011, 05:49 AM
IMO lay off the either, it does more harm than good.

joseph m. hahnl
06-16-2011, 03:00 PM
I have a 1988 Regazza with a 5.7 Mercruiser. The boat is in a slip. When I first put the boat in the water it started right up after the winter layover in the Northeast. About 10 minutes later it stalled. I was able to restart it by "goosing" the accelerator pump. Eventually that did not work (10-15 minutes) and I decided to replace the Carb.

Replacing the carb did nothing and it did not fire at all. I decided to do a complete tuneup and along the way I replaced the Distributor (not just the cap), coil, wires, plugs. I get spark yet when I spray ether down the throat it still does not fire. If there is any connection at all, I have water in the bilge. It is a little milky but I chalk that up to all of the ether I've tried during the process.

Any ideas would be great. Thanks in advance

Where did you see spark ? Is there spark at the plug?

Pismo
06-16-2011, 04:58 PM
Use Gumout instead of ether. It will run forever if you spray it down the carb. Then you know if it is a spark or fuel problem. If it does not fire on ether and/or run on Gumout then probably no spark or irregular spark.

If it runs well on Gumout (gas in an aerosol can) then it is a fuel problem.

pdaigle
01-19-2012, 01:07 PM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]