PDA

View Full Version : dash re-wiring

Planetwarmer
06-15-2011, 03:54 PM
The most thankless time you will ever spend on a boat (except for pulling the fuel tank) is rewiring the backside of the dash. No one will ever see it, no matter how pretty it is. After my dash project, I never hooked up the switches. I kept the stock switches all zip-tied behind the dash and fished for the correct button. Well, I finally broke down and wired it all up. That is one hell of a project to undertake in a day. After I completed the job, the boat looked the exact same unless you climb under the dash and look. Even then, you would have to know what it looked like before. I realized this as soon as I saw the reaction my wife had after I showed her. She was so dis-interested she wouldnt climb under the dash to take a look. Oh well, at least my 5 year old can honk the horn now.....:boggled:

gcarter
06-15-2011, 04:05 PM
But you have the satisfaction of doing it correctly, and the person you eventually sell it to will appreciate it.

Walt. H.
06-15-2011, 04:45 PM
Where are you currently with your non-cooperative sterndrive?

joseph m. hahnl
06-15-2011, 07:18 PM
Oh Boy that's Great. I can't believe it. Give your self a pat on the back from me. Your the man ,this can be your next project
http://news.3yen.com/wp-content/images/wiring-trouble-japan-navy.jpg

silverghost
06-15-2011, 07:49 PM
I hope you added a fuse-block wih several fused circuits ?

I can never understand why Donzi & other boat builders, chose not to put ANY fuses in the early boats?

It's a wonder more boats did not burn to the waterline ?
Most boat wiring of the day looked like a "Rat's Nest"

Planetwarmer
06-16-2011, 01:16 AM
The drive is back on and doing well. After I borrowed the alignment tool and got the bearing straight, the input shaft slid right in.

I added 9 breakers. I didnt want them to show, so I made a stainless plate mounted under the dash. If you lay under the dash and look up towards the sky, you can see the panel. I already tested the lighter circuit when I arced the positive to ground and tripped the breaker:lightning. It worked like a charm.:):)

Planetwarmer
06-16-2011, 01:18 AM
[QUOTE=joseph m. hahnl;604805]Oh Boy that's Great. I can't believe it. Give your self a pat on the back from me.

Im not sure that I will have time to fit the pat on the back from you, I am still patting myself on the back from me!!!

silverghost
06-16-2011, 01:24 AM
Joseph~

Is that a GIANT Sea-Osprey nest on the front flight-deck of that old aircraft carrier ?

Or~
Some new "Top-Secret" Low-Tech "Anti-Radar/ Stelth Cloaking" & Radar Energy Absorbing Grass Skirt ?