PDA

View Full Version : ultra props

INNERRAGE70
06-14-2011, 12:08 PM
how good are the volvo ultra props compare to solas, and a bronson and hill prop etc

JimG
06-14-2011, 04:25 PM
I love my ultra. It transformed my boat...

mattyboy
06-14-2011, 07:51 PM
I sold all my ultras once I got a solas. no need to re hub better rough water handling, better, more stable ,more predictable handling, less slip and consistant slip numbers thru out the rpm range. no cavitation or ventilation. ran alot of props on my volvo setup thought the ultra was the cats pajamas til i got the solas.

mrfixxall
06-14-2011, 10:45 PM
I sold all my ultras once I got a solas. no need to re hub better rough water handling, better, more stable ,more predictable handling, less slip and consistant slip numbers thru out the rpm range. no cavitation or ventilation. ran alot of props on my volvo setup thought the ultra was the cats pajamas til i got the solas.

but you never ran a ultra labbed by my guy ;)

mattyboy
06-15-2011, 05:40 AM
have you tried a solas yet ? It never crossed my mind to put more money into the ultra to get it to perform like the solas out of the box, I didn't think labbing would cure all the ultras ills like blowing out in turns or ventilating when it gets rough. labbing may be the cure for the ultra but I know alot of people that run the solas and the reviews are all the same they take it out of the box put it on the boat and it stays there.

JimG
06-15-2011, 05:59 AM
Matty, is the Solas (the Grizz one like you have) still commercially available?

mattyboy
06-15-2011, 06:09 AM
check with jim buzilla he might have a prop or 2 but if not they are available from solas and i think on iboats too. if your spinning a 22 ultra use a 19 if your at a 24 ultra go to a 21 and a 26 ultra a 23. it might also be worth it to send your ultra to fixx's guy not sure what that will cost either way the solas is a wise investment also as a spare or your everyday prop. drop kirbyvv, jl1962,maddad and magical bill they all run the solas on a wide variety of classics with different setups.

mattyboy
06-15-2011, 06:21 AM
just an added thought here when I bought my 16 in 2001 i had a spinelli SS on it and in an effort to max performance. I started prop searching I wound up trying no less than 10 different props on it til I found an ultra which was scarce and expensive back then. in 2003 I had a 22 and 24 ultra and I had found my prop. The ultra until that point was the best handling best performance prop I could find.. But at wot on the 16 became totally unstable top speed 64 but I could only stay there for a moment and the trip from 53 to 60 was not fun either. then I found the solas thru Randy the boat was a different animal i could run at any range right up to 62 mph and stay there for as long as i wanted. the solas also shortened the range for porpoising to a very small range down to like 24-28 mph.

JimG
06-15-2011, 06:32 AM
Thanks Matty! I thought the Grizz Solas and the commercial Solas were somehow different...

I'm shopping for my friend EricH. His '76 will be ready soon, and he will be in need of a prop.

I'd love to try a Solas one day. It would be hard to improve upon my Ultra though. I have no porpoising, no ill handling anywhere in the rpm range, no torque, no nothing bad. Just sparkling performance whether I am fully loaded, (like last weekend, 2 icechests, full gear and three passengers) or just by myself.

No need to have my Ultra labbed either. The guy who owns the original ultra molds is just around the corner. He is the only guy who can touch my ultra!

Kirbyvv
06-15-2011, 07:52 AM
I never tried an ultra, but had a SS Michigan 21, Hill Bronson Thrasher 23 and Solas 21. I liked the Thrasher best, but only up to about 50 mph, where everything got squirrely. The Solas can handle the full speed range with no ill handling issues. I'd like to try an Ultra, just to see how they compare sometime.

Marlin275
06-15-2011, 08:54 AM
I have a 26 Ultra and it works great
no issues at any speed

I want faster but who doesn't?

BUIZILLA
06-15-2011, 09:09 AM
all of our Solas are now sold

INNERRAGE70
06-15-2011, 10:57 AM
i have a 14.25x23lh bronson and hill ss for my 290 just looking for another good all around prop,what size in the solas would i run my boat is a 1988 21ft sunrunner 400hp sarris racing engine in it my rpms are between 5200 t0 5500 .also my prop is a solid hub.

Kirbyvv
06-15-2011, 12:08 PM
Thats the same Hill Bronson I have. I haven't had it on the boat in a year, but if I remember correctly the rpms were very close with both the 23 Hill Bronson and the 21 solas.
Since you have one of Jasons motors are you on Lake George? If so, head to the northern end of the lake and give my 21 solas a try.

INNERRAGE70
06-15-2011, 03:18 PM
i live in ct about 30 minutes from the ct river

mrfixxall
06-15-2011, 03:44 PM
have you tried a solas yet ? It never crossed my mind to put more money into the ultra to get it to perform like the solas out of the box, I didn't think labbing would cure all the ultras ills like blowing out in turns or ventilating when it gets rough. labbing may be the cure for the ultra but I know alot of people that run the solas and the reviews are all the same they take it out of the box put it on the boat and it stays there.

No!;) reason is because from what i read the solas wont carry the bow like the ultra will..im like lenny,i like to ride bow hi..if i had another pin position i would put the drive out another 1/2''..

mattyboy
06-15-2011, 09:20 PM
it may not fly the nose but it carries the boat in a very good attitude.