PDA

View Full Version : Bimini top color

VetteLT193
06-13-2011, 04:19 PM
I'm getting ready to finally take the plunge into the land of Bimini tops. My initial idea was to match the top with the rest of my canvas (I think it is called "Linen") but my Wife was thinking yellow... what do you all think? I haven't officially used any type of trim color... I'm still using my red Donzi lines from my old boat so I'm thinking whatever top color I pick will end up being everywhere (new carpet eventually, lines, etc.)

Here are outside pics... and inside is white, tan, very dark red.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/picture.php?albumid=89&pictureid=944

mrfixxall
06-13-2011, 05:10 PM
before you have it all sewn up i would have the guy drape a piece of the material across the bimini to see how it looks..i think yellow will attract too much dirt.

Ghost
06-13-2011, 05:30 PM
Yellow sounds like it might be great. (Shouldn't you be Photoshopping the Bejeezes out of this one?)

BUIZILLA
06-13-2011, 05:41 PM
same color as your cockpit cover..

DonziJon
06-13-2011, 06:21 PM
I'm with Fixx. Yellow will definitely show dirt. On the other hand, a Bimini is only exposed during day use on a Donzi....not like it's left up all the time like on a Bayliner. The Tan you show for your tonneau is what I have on my Red/Honey Minx..That's what I would use for a Bimini. "Sunbrella". :yes: DJ

VetteLT193
06-13-2011, 09:17 PM
thanks for the reassurance guys.... matching it is!

BUIZILLA
06-14-2011, 06:31 AM
FWIW... Sunbrella has a very dark red, a black cherry tone, that might look pretty cool since you have those accent lines to throw it off

Buddyc
06-14-2011, 07:02 AM
+1 Fixxx. the yellow would be a dirt magnet. I had the tan on my Sundancer and it held up well for 7 years.
Buz has a nice twist, I think the dark reddish color would look pretty sweet... give it a look. sunbrella code 3865

http://www.outdoorfabricguru.com/product_images/3865.jpg

Fishermanjm
06-14-2011, 10:57 AM
A bimini on a Donzi? do you think it could go on a classic too or did the Z boats have bimini"s,,, nice boat BTW

VetteLT193
06-14-2011, 11:41 AM
FWIW... Sunbrella has a very dark red, a black cherry tone, that might look pretty cool since you have those accent lines to throw it off

That's what I wanted to do... The 'ol lady said it won't match. The biggest issue with the red/burgundy is it pops in the sun but when there isn't light hitting it it kinda flips to a brown.

I *think* if we went with the darkest red / burgundy color sunbrella has it would make the color come out... she thinks it will look bad.

What to you think? check my album for more pictures: http://www.donzi.net/forums/album.php?albumid=89

As you'll see the color is all over the place. the best pic is of the Donzi logo in my sig. the light hits it on the right, so it looks red, but the exact same color on the left by the "D" looks brown as do the stripes below it.

I really wanted to do burgundy colored lines too... easier to keep clean and tan is boring.

Fishermanjm
06-14-2011, 12:19 PM
a dark color bimini will be very warm in the sun shine, lighter colors reflect the sun, just a thought,,, match the Z on the stern/engine cover

BUIZILLA
06-14-2011, 12:51 PM
the bimini is for in the sun right?

don't the colors *pop* in the sun?

I thought so

Fishermanjm
06-14-2011, 01:21 PM
ok u lost me with the pop thing,,, i had a cranberry bimini on my center console, hot as a mf er, so i changed the color to light grey, the color made a huge difference in temp under the bimini. The instruments in my overhead box would be hot to the touch,,, i thought so

yeller
06-15-2011, 10:00 PM
Yellow will get dirtier faster, but on a bimini it's not going to see much dirt so it probably wouldn't be a problem.

Sunbrella is a great fabric and I used it many times for boat covers because it's soft enough that it doesn't harm the gel. A lot of my customers prefered it for boat tops simply because it's a known name. It also has a great colour selection.

Sunbrella is an acrylic fabric. Personally I prefer the polyester fabrics. They are way stronger and can handle more abuse. I don't suggest them for boat covers, because the fabric is also stiffer and would be abrasive to the gel.

Basically what I am getting at, is if you want yellow but are afraid of it getting dirty, go with a polyester fabric. The polyester fabrics don't let the dirt penetrate, and if need be, I've pressure washed polyester fabrics without harm.

The polyester fabric I use to use was Top Gun. Top Gun will far outlast Sunbrella. It has a limited color selection, but there are many other types out there now that have a better selection.