PDA

View Full Version : Drive oil leak

brwn234
06-13-2011, 01:05 AM
The other day I was running pretty hard for a good bit. Stopped and could smell drive fluid. Opened the hatch and the drive oil bottle had overflowed from the cap and dripped onto the exhaust manifold. What would cause this? I havn't had this problem ever before. I have been out several other times this year and not had this problem yet, though I havn't run that hard that long yet this year. This spring I had the drive off to change the shift cable. For grins I looked through my Merc Manual and it did specificly say that if the cap is not on the drive fluid will purge. I'm asuming that the system needs to be under pressure and my cap may not be sealing correctly. Hopefully a new cap is all I need. Any ideas?

axelkloehn
06-13-2011, 03:21 AM
you have air bubbles in the drive, may be from taking the drive off and storing it. Had the same issue, drained the drive and refilled it again with the same oil, problem solved!

brwn234
06-13-2011, 09:52 PM
You think I should try that before replacing the cap? I use amsoil so they're about the same cost all said and done. Plus I don't think I have enough oil and may need to order some.

axelkloehn
06-14-2011, 02:16 AM
here is a link to my thread last year, you might find answers there

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=63314

MOP
06-14-2011, 06:17 AM
Just so you know the idea is to alleviate any possible pressure or vacuum, when a drive heats up it can force oil out and in turn when it cools it can suck water it which was a problem for many years. The use of the resivour does away with the temp change problem.

DonziJon
06-14-2011, 09:44 AM
You think I should try that before replacing the cap? I use Amsoil so they're about the same cost all said and done. Plus I don't think I have enough oil and may need to order some.

Does this mean that you are NOT using "Mercury High Performance Gear Lube"..??

I can never understand why some people think they know more about Merc outdrives than the engineers that designed it.. Why ask for trouble..? Not trying to be smart... Just wondering. :bonk: DJ

handfulz28
06-14-2011, 01:09 PM
I can never understand why some people think they know more about Merc outdrives than the engineers that designed it.. Why ask for trouble..? Not trying to be smart... Just wondering. :bonk: DJ

I can never understand why some people think the OEM ALWAYS has the absolute best product. Brunswick is not in the chemical business, somebody else makes their fluids for them. Amsoil happens to offer a marine gear lube that's at least equal but probably superior to Merc's High Performance, at the same or better price.

Remember, if the OEM was always superior there'd be no such thing as "aftermarket".

h20loo
06-14-2011, 01:32 PM
I would say that Merc, like all other manufacturers, will use the cheapest(by cost) oil that meets their minimum requirements and can be pkged for them. That could mean that there are many oils that exceed the Merc quality. I am sure most synthetics will do that.

zelatore
06-14-2011, 02:11 PM
I would say that Merc, like all other manufacturers, will use the cheapest(by cost) oil that meets their minimum requirements and can be pkged for them. That could mean that there are many oils that exceed the Merc quality. I am sure most synthetics will do that.

And there you have it.

VetteLT193
06-14-2011, 02:40 PM
The drive oil is the only thing I keep Merc OEM. It's just mentally easier and I know they are sensitive to oil types. If I felt like doing the research I'd switch though.

As far as the oil coming out of the top, I haven't had that problem. My caps screw on, did the whole cap pop off or is there a purge in the middle of it (sorry, just can't remember)

was it overfull? I noticed mine changes quite a bit from the trailer to the water so I don't fill it up all the way until I get it in the water.

brwn234
06-14-2011, 09:02 PM
I've used Amsoil for a couple years now. It's conveinant for me to order online and with their Preferred Customer program I can buy it at least $5 less a quart then Merc HiPo. I also feel it's a superior product. It meets all the same standards as Merc HiPo and they list all the technical properties online, unlike Merc. I will even go as far to say that I did notice smoother shifting after filling with Amsoil the first time.

The cap was still on and the level was twoards the lower part of the fill lines. It must have leaked through the threads of the cap which leads me to believe the cap may be bad or an O ring or the seal is missing. I didnt inspect it too closely though.

Rodger
06-15-2011, 08:38 AM
I've been using Amsoil in my 33 year old TRS for the last 24 years. The drive has also been heavily loaded, possibly even overloaded, for those 24 years also.