PDA

View Full Version : volvo transom plate

guy with the red donzi
06-11-2011, 09:15 PM
I am getting ready to put a new transom plate on my boat. But I have one question. Should I use any sort of sealer on it along with rubber gasket? I bought a new rubber gasket that goes around the transom plate and I also got new gaskets for the bolts. Also where can I find a block off plate for where fresh water comes through the transom plate? I put a external raw water pickup on the boat because I was having problems getting fresh water through the drive. thanks

maddad
06-11-2011, 10:23 PM
I'm not sure if this is the by the book way of doing it, but I didn't use any sealer on mine and it worked out. To plug the water inlet hole, I found that a transom plug, the type that screws to compress the rubber, worked perfect.

mrfixxall
06-11-2011, 11:08 PM
yes use 4200 3m sealer..just on the inside of the of the inner lip or inner edge of the seal..then use it on the stuse,washers and nuts so water cant come from the bilge out.. as for the block off plate just use the old water spout as a temp plate and make one out of alunimum,then seal that too with 4200.

guy with the red donzi
06-12-2011, 08:07 AM
Ok, cool. Thanks. I need to get this boat going, I'm dying not having my boat running.

mattyboy
06-12-2011, 08:08 AM
do you have a new seal?? all holes in the transom should be sealed with resin before you install it . sealant on all both sides of the bolts and on the washers as fixx said. the alum. plate is the best way but the rubber stopper wedged in and tightened from the outside will work too. I just had a few pieces made up to block off the old trim motor and the thru hub exhaust only difference is I use 5200 cause i will not be removing ever.

is the transom new? any imperfections ridges or valleys can cause an issue. the volvo aq200-280 transom housing were poorly designed the bolts should be just on the inside of the seal not the outside. This way when tightened down the seal will seal in all holes like the 290 and merc transom plate.

the reason I asked if the seal is new an old one will be distorted the new one looks totally different. It took me quite some searching to find the seal for my 280t and once i did it was not cheap either.