PDA

View Full Version : newbie ??

johnny b
06-10-2011, 05:04 PM
hi everyone, i will try and keep short..but need some help, stumbled on a donzi 18 classic, 1976 original gel coat (quite nice) interior front seats there and nice shape, back ones missing (guy may have he will look) been sitting for like 8 years, galvinized trailer very nice...boat looks very nice for age and time sitting and all is there gauges/lights etc...360 chrysler/volvo outdrive/thru hull exhaust/trim tabs...no scratches basically or stress cracks etc...or signs of anything out of the normal

gentleman says all was running when shut down...said it was running rough 1 day back 8 years ago (and he used a fair bit for couple years) and he is self employed and other boats etc and boat just sat and he moved on to other things

says engine was rebuilt and again run for 2 season's then ran rough one day but nothing over the top bad (said it was like timing off or something), my question to you guys is...i asked about gas tank, he says most likely the gas tank was close to full when shut down, and "nothing" been touched for like 8 years, i know there alot of varialbles that some is common sense to me...like get a mechanic to look at motor etc...but gas tank is scaring me(not sure what is involved with that situation ), i love these boats and its in my budget...what do you guys think is a fair ball park price that this boat is worth with what i described and any other things to look for etc...bottom line i know i may have to get another motor or rebuild and know what that might intail but pretty green and novice with boats ...but sure do love the donzis...appreciate any help and once i know what it might be worth in this shape i will have different outlook and go from there....thanks and sorry if left some stuff out on some details but feel free to ask

DonziJon
06-10-2011, 05:19 PM
The GOOD news is..the old gas in the tank is NON Ethonal. However 8 year old gas is ..even Non Ethonal ... is getting a little OLD. What is the asking price of the boat..? Will the engine turn over. Will it fire...?

If the boat "Looks" good every where you look..it may be a good boat. LOOKS are a very important indicator of how the boat was kept. :yes: DJ

johnny b
06-10-2011, 06:09 PM
hi and thanks for reply...basically gentleman is selling as is/where is and my gut tells me he is being honest with what i described and what he told me, and he wants to get out of yard, (he's got all kind of stuff from boats to cars ) again dont mind the ignorance, but i am green on boats, and not sure on a tank with 8 yr old gas can be just siphoned/ cleaned easily and as long as it dont leak all is cool, or could be potential nightmare if gummed up or rust and needs to be replaced and i would think that would be major thing if got to start cutting on boat etc.. or someone enlighten me? with what it takes to replace tank potentially...bottom line 4k will take this boat, the motor dont worry me, if it fires cool, and turns over cool, if not...replace/rebuild, but main question is it worth it with what i described even if motor no good, also he says outdrive is fine....is it a steal or no great find? ps: i know its somewhat of a roll of the dice, on what i may find wrong, but if well worth 4k even if its the hull/trailer, that would put things in perspective with me or should i just run?....thanks

DonziJon
06-10-2011, 06:52 PM
I'll tell you a story from years ago. I had a 32' C&C 32 (Sail) with a 15 HP Yanmar Diesel. I had lost interest in sailing, and the expense involved with marinas..etc.

I moved the boat from the marina to my backyard and put it up for sale. SEVEN years later I got a looker. The buyer was totally satisfied with what he saw of the boat.. but he wanted to see the engine run.

The engine had been winterized (seven years before..RI) and a Diesel Bio Stabilizer was added. Diesel can sometimes Grow something in the fuel......my memory is foggy.

Anywho..he came by to see the engine start. I DID NOT turn over the engine or try to start it before he got there.

The big day..I hooked up all the "on land" garden hose and cooling apparatus before he arrived. All ready to go. I wanted to show him an "Original Start" after 7 years. (Some would say what an a$$ hole on my part.) The battery's were good.. NEW. Turn the key...Maybe two turns of the engine and Bata Bing.....it fired right up and purred like a kitten without any hesitation or sputtering whatsoever. As though it had run just yesterday. We ran it for twenty minutes. Not a skip. Boat SOLD. :yes:

I miss that boat, and every few years I hook up with the owner. Same guy still owns it. DJ

gcarter
06-10-2011, 07:03 PM
An 18 w/good prospects AND a trailer is a good deal, never mind the engine or the back seat at that price.

johnny b
06-10-2011, 08:02 PM
thanks for help/replys fellas....and like the thought of it being a good deal, and again i know there are varialbles to take in account...but what is this boat worth ballbark on what i describe?,reason being.... next step is to work on the wife with this(if u all know what i mean), always admired donzis and wanted one but this is somewhat happening on a whim and like to justify to the wife if boat has too much drama i can least get my money back out of it easily....and not to be broken record, but any insight on the gas tank issue would be great....is taking them out and replacing (worse case scenerio) a big drama fest?

gcarter
06-10-2011, 08:28 PM
Mind you I'm not saying it's a walk in the park, but w/that price, it leaves more for all the things you'll probably have to do.
Splitting the deck and replacing the tank, checking stringers and transom for rot, and probably re-wiring the entire boat.
Enjoy!
It is fun in a way.

RW2003
06-10-2011, 08:37 PM
Here's a good "Deck Off Tank Replacement" thread.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=61917&highlight=gas+tank+replacement

silverghost
06-10-2011, 08:53 PM
Was the boat properly covered while sitting outside al these 8+ years ?
Was the stern pitched down to allow any rainwater to drain ?
Will the engine now turn-over with the starter ?
It s unusual that this boat has a Chrysler engine as most Donzi boats of up to this era had Ford power.
Can you check for transom core & engine bed stringer rot ?
What about deck balsa core rot near any lights ,vents, fills etc ?
The deck , transom, & stringer wood core is a potential problem issue to look carefully for~
Especially if it was left to sit uncovered for any long period of time.

johnny b
06-10-2011, 09:03 PM
Was the boat properly covered while sitting outside al these 8+ years ?
Was th stern pitched down to allow any rainwater to drain ?
Will the engine now turn-over with the starter ?
It s unusual that this boat has a Chrysler engine as most Donzi boats of this era had Ford power (99%).
Can you check for transom core & engine bed stringer rot ?
What about deck balsa core rot near any lights ,vents, fills etc ?

from looks of it..i would have to say it was covered, no way that it wasnt for shape it seems

not sure on rainwater to drain

turning over is a ? the gentlemen said it should, but again sitting 8 yrs and he is older guy and he did not volunteer to do and had attitude that a mechanic should look at... to make sure no harm was done trying to at this stage and wasnt evasive, but had attitude let the buyer worry with that and ready to move on and reason price is what it is

for sure 360 chrysler...dont know the whole story....i will ask him no doubt if go forward on this

i looked pretty good in transom etc as i could...seemed solid and looked good but again no expert and again i stumbled on this today...for sure got more questions and trying to do homework and got a friend who knows boats pretty good(mechanically/motors) but could not reach today...i am trying to not be too lax cause i dont want to snooze and lose....he mentioned some guy came out of state to look at...but did not get

thanks for the tank link....wow talk about a drama fest

zelatore
06-11-2011, 08:56 AM
I'll throw in my 2 cents and try to address some of your questions.

First, it sounds like a great price if the boat is as it appears. $4K for even a non-runner with a trailer is a steal. Hard to put a price on it, but let's say if it's in decent shape it should bring twice that, so I don't think you need to worry about the buy-in price.

Now for the But...

You've admitted you're pretty green with boats. That's fine, and this could be an excellent candidate to learn with. You say the transom looks fine - did you try tapping it with a small hammer? The parts you can see might be perfect, but the wood core can rot on the inside meaning a huge repair - search this site for transom replacements and you'll find plenty of info on just how big it can be. A surveyor will take a small hammer and tap all over the transom and stringers listening to the sound. It should be a sharp rap, if it sounds dull or hollow, you've got core problems. In particular, you're most likely to find these problems at the bottom of the transom/back of the stringers and around any opening/penetration/screw-hole.

The Chrysler motor is odd indeed, but not unheard of. If it runs, great. But it will be a little harder to find parts for and maintain. If it dies or is currently dead, the logical choice would be to replace with a chevy based motor as they are the most common/cheapest/easiest. However it won't be a drop-in and will require a fair bit of work. Still easier for most people than potential glass work like a transom or stringers, but it will require some knowledge or a good size check.

The fuel is almost certainly bad after 8 years, even if it was treated with a stabilizer. Being stored with a full tank is good - the tank won't corrode (on the inside) if it's full of fuel. You may have some gunk in there, but I'd bet it's not too bad. Most likely I'd try to pump the fuel off and put in some fresh before trying to run the boat. That said, the tank is still over 30 years old and may well need to be replaced. Maybe not now, but just be prepared for it at some time in the future. Replacing a tank isn't a cake-walk, but it's not as bad as it might sound if you've got the space and some friends to help. You've already seen some threads about splitting the deck on these boats. A big job, but do-able by a handy guy at home.

Basically, I'd be inclined to go for it, but go in expecting to spend some time/money getting it sorted out. It's possible you'll get away with nothing more than replacing the old gas and doing basic maintenance/tune-up stuff, but consider that the 'best case' situation and instead be prepared to spend some time and money. If you find the stringers/transom/deck bad, I'd probably walk. Though all those things can be repaired, I don't think that would be a good place to start your Donzi experience. Better to spend a little more and get a solid boat in that case.

mattyboy
06-11-2011, 09:12 AM
chrysler was one of the many that marketed the volvo outdrive with their name on it. In 76 the CC 300 chevy was the common offering Fords were fading from sight at that point. I don't have any info on a 360, the superbee and super beeII were 318 mated to a volvo. chrysler also made their own 90 degrees drive that was mated to their 383 and 440 motors.they had a 340 mated to a volvo has well. I am looking for the date on this info but can't find it I can't see why a 330 hp 350 chevy could be mated to volvo so it could take anything a 360 could throw at it.
do you have a hull number?? or pics

they did make a few commando/commander powered 18s in 76

mattyboy
06-11-2011, 10:07 AM
i was going to add some thoughts but the boards seem to be acting up
if you want any info please drop me a line
I had typed some long winded info and it spit it back to me.
be happy to help
mnmveth@optonline.net
Matty veth
Lake George Donzi Classic Club

Carl C
06-11-2011, 11:57 AM
I don't like the outdoor storage part, covered or not. If it had been sitting dry in a barn all these years it would be quite a find. Be careful you don't buy a boat with a lot of hidden rot. They have a lot of wood you know.......

silverghost
06-11-2011, 07:38 PM
As far as the engine goes~~~
I would not buy into his story that it was runnng a little rough "Timing-off or something" so he just did not fix it and just let it sit for 8+ years ?
There is more here he is not telling you~~~ I suspect ?
Expect the worst here~
And hope for the best.

Sitting ouside for 8+ years in someone's yard is NOT good .

If you would be buying this boat as a project for yourself~ OK

But don't expect to fix it up fast and flip-it to make some quick cash.

There are lots of good Donzi 18s & 16s out there .

johnny b
06-11-2011, 09:16 PM
hey guys....thanks for recent replys/help...appreciate the input no doubt and very well be in touch via pm's or number's...thanks

i was pretty stoked yesterday....today i am so so with my emotions on where i may go with this....bottom line, a friend i know who i had mentioned is pretty good with motors/outdrive, not sure if he knows the boat in's and out's you guy are touching on and he is not a guy i hang out with everyday (got to track him down real soon)....we will see and for sure keep you guys posted and maybe get some pics if look at again and do some more homework or get no doubt

i really think this guy is honest who is selling, but storing/parking a boat away for 8 yrs that was being used... just is not logical, "but" this guy was older and just seemed to have all kind of projects/boats/cars etc and maybe ???

just to add and i am sure you boat guys would appreciate, he had a row boat 16 ft i guess, that was from the 40's and the workmanship/wood was unreal, i cant remember the details, but it had a brass tag up at the bow and i think it was/said johnson or something, but fella was saying it was worth a mint and it was stored for more then 30 years...this deal where i found and what he had was like going to one of them places the american pickers/tv show go to (if you know what i mean)

and this boat might have been in a barn or some type of good storage....we were jumping around in conversation and some things i wanted to ask, i just did not, cause i dont run into donzi's for sale everyday and was tripping alittle....thanks again and any more input is much appreciated and will keep you all up to speed and for sure i think i am going to least make another trip to go see this boat and do what you guys have mentioned or ask and get to bottom of some questions "or" say heck with it and find something turn key, budget is the big factor.....sorry for the rant/long post

joseph m. hahnl
06-12-2011, 07:26 AM
When I bought my Minx, it sat for 5 yrs with salt water in the engine. The boat had been dropped while it was being lifted into the water. The exhaust pipe went under water flooding 2 cylinders with sea water.
Some one may have tried to purge it , But in any case 2 cylinders were seized. I had bought a alleged turn key, pickled motor from a Regazza that had sunk in Long Island Sound. When I got that engine home and started getting into it, The carb leaked fuel all over the place. I took the carb off, and I was going to use the original Mag's carb. The further I dug into both of them the more the original was in better shape. It appeared as if the Mag that was in the boat, was brand spanking new, and had been dunked on it's maiden voyage. I assessed this, as the Oil valleys were completely clean with no caramelized oil. At this point I decided that I was going to get the original engine broken free, and rebuild it. Some navel Jelly and a crow bar and she broke free. Then I dismantled it,honed it, new bearings, rings and one piston, and the short block came back to life. The top end on the other hand was a completely different story. The sea water in the coolant passages was not friendly to the heads, intake and T stat housing. I was able to fix the Intake, but the heads and T stat housing were shot. I used the pickled motor's heads and the Orca closed cooling that it had.This is the Sixth season on that engine for the price of a rebuild kit and cost of the other engine which turned out to be for parts, rather than a turn key.

So this what I say about it. "Buy it" The Brethren here will will give you all the support you need to get her up and running. An original unmolested hull with out paint, is well worth it.

All of the Donzi owners here had an obsession with the look,only to find that the ride is better than anything imaginable.

"Donzi 18 $4000, Grin on face, Priceless"

http://ocdeals.ocregister.com/files/2010/04/Visa-card-2.jpg (http://ocdeals.ocregister.com/files/2010/04/Visa-card-2.jpg)

DonziJon
06-12-2011, 10:50 AM
hey guys....thanks for recent replys/help...appreciate the input no doubt and very well be in touch via pm's or number's...thanks

i was pretty stoked yesterday....today i am so so with my emotions on where i may go with this....bottom line, a friend i know who i had mentioned is pretty good with motors/outdrive, not sure if he knows the boat in's and out's you guy are touching on and he is not a guy i hang out with everyday (got to track him down real soon)....we will see and for sure keep you guys posted and maybe get some pics if look at again and do some more homework or get no doubt

i really think this guy is honest who is selling, but storing/parking a boat away for 8 yrs that was being used... just is not logical, "but" this guy was older and just seemed to have all kind of projects/boats/cars etc and maybe ???

just to add and i am sure you boat guys would appreciate, he had a row boat 16 ft i guess, that was from the 40's and the workmanship/wood was unreal, i cant remember the details, but it had a brass tag up at the bow and i think it was/said johnson or something, but fella was saying it was worth a mint and it was stored for more then 30 years...this deal where i found and what he had was like going to one of them places the American Pickers/tv show go to (if you know what i mean)

and this boat might have been in a barn or some type of good storage....we were jumping around in conversation and some things i wanted to ask, i just did not, cause i dont run into donzi's for sale everyday and was tripping alittle....thanks again and any more input is much appreciated and will keep you all up to speed and for sure i think i am going to least make another trip to go see this boat and do what you guys have mentioned or ask and get to bottom of some questions "or" say heck with it and find something turn key, budget is the big factor.....sorry for the rant/long post

This is exactly what I was thinking when I started reading this post. :yes: DJ

Kirbyvv
06-13-2011, 08:43 AM
The gas tank is probably questionable, but in 1976 it would have been aluminum so may be OK. the gas tank replacement thread referenced above was mine. If you have the right equipment (friend with a big fork lift), etc. the tank replacment isn't bad. it just took alot longer than anticipated. Doing all the work myself, plus rewiring, doing some glass work and the cost of the tank, I don't think I spent more than $800 (not counting my labor).

scag
06-13-2011, 10:18 AM
Where did the $4k price tag come from...was that the number he came up with or did you make a semi serious offer of $4k? If he was the one that told you $4k would take, then I say you present all of the questions/scenarios you've read on here that the pros have told you to check and assume, then offer him $3k.

If its been sitting for that long, he surely cannot be that attached to the boat. Just tell him you can only do $3k at this time....he'll probably say no. Part ways nicely with him and call him back in 3 or 4 days and tell him you are still interested at $3k. If you continue to wear on him, he'll probably give in. That will save you 25% and allow more room to put $$$$ into the boat (which surely on some level will have to happen). Bottom line, you need to be prepaired to spend additional money...AND time on this boat.

If you have to work hard on the wifey to get permission to buy this $4k fixer upper...she is going to flip her $hit when you tell her you now have to dump at least another $4k in it just to get it to run. She probably won't be crazy happy you just impulsed $4k on a new lawn ornament. :kingme:

While it may be a deal, your time and money may be better served learning more about the boats from the great guys on this forum and then buying something down the road that has a little less unknown...It may cost you more initially, but less in the long run.

Just my .02

johnny b
06-16-2011, 08:27 PM
Where did the $4k price tag come from...was that the number he came up with or did you make a semi serious offer of $4k? If he was the one that told you $4k would take, then I say you present all of the questions/scenarios you've read on here that the pros have told you to check and assume, then offer him $3k.

If its been sitting for that long, he surely cannot be that attached to the boat. Just tell him you can only do $3k at this time....he'll probably say no. Part ways nicely with him and call him back in 3 or 4 days and tell him you are still interested at $3k. If you continue to wear on him, he'll probably give in. That will save you 25% and allow more room to put $$$$ into the boat (which surely on some level will have to happen). Bottom line, you need to be prepaired to spend additional money...AND time on this boat.

If you have to work hard on the wifey to get permission to buy this $4k fixer upper...she is going to flip her $hit when you tell her you now have to dump at least another $4k in it just to get it to run. She probably won't be crazy happy you just impulsed $4k on a new lawn ornament. :kingme:

While it may be a deal, your time and money may be better served learning more about the boats from the great guys on this forum and then buying something down the road that has a little less unknown...It may cost you more initially, but less in the long run.

Just my .02

well said, and thanks again to all, actually this guy is quite attached to the boat, cause i could just tell (i am big car/truck guy) and he reminded me of myself when selling something and i get very attached and he was no doubt, again he was a "collector" type and horder if you will in a mild sense and some stuff around.....anyways...bottom line i think 4k would take(he actually wants 4.5k ) but there may be some wiggle room, but get vibe not much....i talked to my boat guy as mentioned in previous reply and actually he was more knowledgeble then i even thought....he basically talked me out of the boat somewhat, pretty much boiled down to i am not the most mechanic type (wish i was) and while i would enjoy getting it up and running and project with friends etc and this forum....i am scared of possible big expense, and sway towards a "turn key" and spend more up front if you all know what i mean...and just have something that is more solid and not in limbo land intiallly (limbo land i dont like) and this guy is too much "as is/where is" and i do get a vibe he is honest, that dont mean i am correct.(back to limbo land again my friends)..motor/outdrive would be not major biggie,(but enough) but structure/tank etc.., and even something more,could just turn into a "lawn ornament" for awhile and as you said, wifey might not like ...lol

thanks to all again and you guys are quite nice and helpfull and hope to be back here sometime soon with pics and questions on a newer/better aquired sweet 16!!!

scag
06-16-2011, 09:09 PM
well said, and thanks again to all, actually this guy is quite attached to the boat, cause i could just tell (i am big car/truck guy) and he reminded me of myself when selling something and i get very attached and he was no doubt, again he was a "collector" type and horder if you will in a mild sense and some stuff around.....anyways...bottom line i think 4k would take(he actually wants 4.5k ) but there may be some wiggle room, but get vibe not much....i talked to my boat guy as mentioned in previous reply and actually he was more knowledgeble then i even thought....he basically talked me out of the boat somewhat, pretty much boiled down to i am not the most mechanic type (wish i was) and while i would enjoy getting it up and running and project with friends etc and this forum....i am scared of possible big expense, and sway towards a "turn key" and spend more up front if you all know what i mean...and just have something that is more solid and not in limbo land intiallly (limbo land i dont like) and this guy is too much "as is/where is" and i do get a vibe he is honest, that dont mean i am correct.(back to limbo land again my friends)..motor/outdrive would be not major biggie,(but enough) but structure/tank etc.., and even something more,could just turn into a "lawn ornament" for awhile and as you said, wifey might not like ...lol

thanks to all again and you guys are quite nice and helpfull and hope to be back here sometime soon with pics and questions on a newer/better aquired sweet 16!!!

I am in the same "boat" as you (no pun intended):kingme:. I think you've made a wise decision by the sound of it. Sounded like a total crap shoot...who knows...could have been the deal of the decade....also could have ended up sitting in your driveway, sucking up your disposible income like a black hole and worst of all...pissing off the wifey! It sounds like one day you'll have your Donzi and you'll probably be glad you passed on this one. Good luck!