PDA

View Full Version : Lawyers SUCK

pipnit
06-09-2011, 09:53 AM
Sorry if you're an ESQ., don't take it personally but I'm serious, between the insurance companies and the lawyers... well you know...

The politico's are to blame too
Lawyers contribute to politicians
Politicians refuse to implement tort reform
Lawyers and politicians win
Businesses and general population lose

taken from this site: http://www.tradeonlytoday.com/home/514150-appeals-court-brunswick-partially-liable-in-prop-accident

The Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals last week affirmed a decision handed down last year by a jury that Brunswick Corp. was partially liable for a 2005 accident on Lake Austin, Texas, in which a teen’s leg was severed by a propeller.

The court’s decision, filed May 27, was unanimous.

Jacob Brochtrup brought the case against Mercury Marine and Sea Ray. He was 18 at the time of the accident.

On the day of the accident, Brochtrup and three others were in a 17.6-foot Sea Ray, powered by a 135-hp MerCruiser sterndrive. When one of the tow ropes unhooked and fell into the water, Brochtrup jumped in behind the boat to retrieve it, according to court documents.

The driver put the boat in reverse to stop its forward motion and backed over Brochtrup. The propeller shredded his right leg, which was ultimately amputated at the hip joint.

According to the original suit, the manufacturer of the boat and motor did not have safety devices, including guards or covers, to prevent Brochtrup from becoming entangled or stuck.

The case proceeded to trial three times, with the first two juries unable to reach a verdict. The third jury concluded that there was a design defect and awarded damages to Brochtrup.

Jurors ordered the company to pay $3.8 million in medical expenses and damages, finding that Brunswick shared more than half the blame for the accident. Jurors found that Brochtrup also was responsible, as was the driver of the boat.

The appeals court decision includes upholding the jury finding that an unguarded propeller was “unreasonably dangerous and defectively designed.” That jury finding necessarily included determining that a guard would prevent the injury and would not adversely affect the use of the boat or engine, Brochtrup’s lawyer Robby Alden said.

“The parties collectively spent over a million dollars testing the guard, and the jury heard substantial evidence from all experts,” Alden said in an e-mail to Soundings Trade Only. “Believe me, guards work and save lives.”

Brunswick did not immediately return a request for comment.

After last year’s verdict, Brunswick issued a statement saying they “stand behind our products, which are used safely and properly by boaters around the world.”

“While we at Brunswick remain sympathetic to the plaintiff for this unfortunate accident, we are nevertheless disappointed with today's verdict," Brunswick officials added last year.

Ghost
06-09-2011, 11:18 AM
Wow, what a crock of $hit.

pipnit
06-09-2011, 11:41 AM
Wow, what a crock of $hit.

Yup, don't sue the drunk driver, go after the manufacturer of the truck, the manufacturer of the booze and the store the booze was bought from. :nilly::bonk::nilly:

Conquistador_del_mar
06-09-2011, 12:03 PM
Yup, don't sue the drunk driver, go after the manufacturer of the truck, the manufacturer of the booze and the store the booze was bought from. :nilly::bonk::nilly:

That is the same logic used in the famous McDonald's spilled coffee in the crotch law suit (thankfully overturned later). These type unbelievable shift of blame law suits drove most of the small plane manufacturers out of business. Bonehead acts do not deserve compensation - even in a liberal world. Bill

LuauLounge
06-09-2011, 12:36 PM
How about Mastercraft set to pay 30 Million......

http://www.sacbee.com/2011/06/08/3684518/jury-awards-30-million-to-chico.html

pipnit
06-09-2011, 12:48 PM
how about mastercraft set to pay 30 million......

http://www.sacbee.com/2011/06/08/3684518/jury-awards-30-million-to-chico.html

ho-ly isht!!!

Ghost
06-09-2011, 01:09 PM
"The two women were both washed into the lake as the boat made a 3-to-5-mph turn to retrieve a wakeboarder it was towing who had fallen, according to evidence at the trial."

Huh?! WTF?

pipnit
06-09-2011, 01:28 PM
"The two women were both washed into the lake as the boat made a 3-to-5-mph turn to retrieve a wakeboarder it was towing who had fallen, according to evidence at the trial."

Huh?! WTF?

YES, WTF is right. All sorts of goofy things in there.

19 people in an 18 person boat with 12 of them up in the bow. I'm sure they were all WASTED.

Ghost
06-09-2011, 01:33 PM
YES, WTF is right. All sorts of goofy things in there.

19 people in an 18 person boat with 12 of them up in the bow. I'm sure they were all WASTED.

I bet they blew the weight numbers right off the capacity plate.

gcarter
06-09-2011, 07:21 PM
Do y'all remember the scene in Jurassic Park when the attorney got eaten and how the lawyers bitched and moaned?

zelatore
06-09-2011, 10:17 PM
My God, the balls of some people....how to they even think to sue for what is so obviously their own stupid mistake?!?!

silverghost
06-09-2011, 10:27 PM
Most Lawyers try to find someone with very deep pockets.
Then they work on the Jury to make them feel as if someone has to pay~
And why not get the deep pockets guy, or company, to pick-up the tab for their own client's stupidity & carelessness.
After-all~~~
"They can afford it ! "

I have a real issue with this sort of thinking.

osur866
06-09-2011, 10:42 PM
Don't get started, my ex is an attorney :bonk:

silverghost
06-09-2011, 11:18 PM
Don't get started, my ex is an attorney :bonk:

Let me take a guess~~~

She got the house & bank account along with the 401K~
AND~~~
YOU got custody of the Donzi ?

Sorry~ I just could not resist~

Walt. H.
06-09-2011, 11:38 PM
How about we all sue this attorney for poetic justice for the same amount because he has pissed us all off after reading this court decision and has caused us permanent emotional anger and distress every time we think about this decision or hear a name of any bottom feeding scum sucking ambulance chasing lawyer, and we never felt that way before until now.:wink: