PDA

View Full Version : Lake Huron

Mondolioni
06-08-2011, 02:08 PM
Any of the members interested in gathering at lake Huron or just passing through and want to meet up for a day or two let me know and we can arrange something on the big lake..... My place will sleep 3 couples comfortably and more if neccesary.

Cheers

Joe

Carl C
06-08-2011, 08:05 PM
If on a week-day. Lake Huron is a little unpredictable and you need to be careful in a 22. I've been in near calm to 5 footers. I've never been across to the Canadian side except by the Bluewater Bridge. I like Tawas City and it would be cool to go to Mackinac Island. On the Canadian side I'd like to see Georgian Bay. I don't know if I'm ready to cross that lake though...:nilly:

Mondolioni
06-24-2011, 01:34 PM
If on a week-day. Lake Huron is a little unpredictable and you need to be careful in a 22. I've been in near calm to 5 footers. I've never been across to the Canadian side except by the Bluewater Bridge. I like Tawas City and it would be cool to go to Mackinac Island. On the Canadian side I'd like to see Georgian Bay. I don't know if I'm ready to cross that lake though...:nilly:

I already looked into crossing the lake. Apparently you have to call customs on the other side and let them know your plans before you cross or you could get into hot water. Let me know if you are planning on coming over and you can have a rest stop at my place. I'm aprox a hlf hr drive by car from the pennisula south of Sauble Beach. There's a safe habour you leave the boat at over night. My email is joe@elmirapump.com if you are interested.

J

Carl C
06-24-2011, 01:39 PM
I already looked into crossing the lake. Apparently you have to call customs on the other side and let them know your plans before you cross or you could get into hot water. Let me know if you are planning on coming over and you can have a rest stop at my place. I'm aprox a hlf hr drive by car from the pennisula south of Sauble Beach. There's a safe habour you leave the boat at over night. My email is joe@elmirapump.com if you are interested.

J

I appreciate that and customs shouldn't be a problem but I don't think it would be wise to cross the lake in my boat. Maybe sometime we can hook up down on the safer connecting waterways.

glashole
06-24-2011, 02:24 PM
what are you guys Texan's- you can't run in rough water................

Jk
pick your day, plan on spending the night

make sure its hot and you will be fine

if you guys wanna do a trial run come to lake ontario

its only 60 miles across

Carl C
06-24-2011, 02:59 PM
Sauble Beach is the furthermost point on shore from Michigan not including Georgian Bay. I have a summer home at Oscoda directly across from it but it is about 75 miles across. That's too scary for me in a 22 foot boat. You have to have respect for all of the Great Lakes because conditions can change fast. I'd love to do it but need a bigger boat. Or bigger balls!!

Actually it looks closer to 85 miles.

OFFSHORE GINGER
06-24-2011, 05:04 PM
Carl ,Lake Huron is really only 100 FT deep in some places ................if that , and very calm compaired to Lake Mich.:hangum:

Carl C
06-24-2011, 05:09 PM
Carl ,Lake Huron is really only 100 FT deep in some places ................if that , and very calm compaired to Lake Mich.:hangum:

Try 750 feet deep and the second largest of the Great Lakes. I've been out there a dozen times and it can go from near calm to 5 footers without warning. Shallow parts can equal rough water as the waves build. Take Western Lake Erie for example; 35' deep and notorious for huge waves. Very calm compared to Lake Michigan? Whatever. http://www.great-lakes.net/lakes/ref/huronfact.html

Carl C
06-24-2011, 05:22 PM
I might try it with at least one other boat along. I can put folks up at my cabin in Oscoda directly across the lake from Mandolioni. Who's in for a big adventure??

Got a little break here at work and it looks closer to a 90 mile cruise. That's pushing close to my limits. Anybody else crazy enough?

OK, now that I'm home and able to actually measure this it is over 100 miles to cross Lake Huron. That's over my range. I would have to carry gas cans.

Anybody? A two hour cruise. Just like the SS Minnow ;).

OFFSHORE GINGER
06-25-2011, 03:09 PM
Try 750 feet deep and the second largest of the Great Lakes. I've been out there a dozen times and it can go from near calm to 5 footers without warning. Shallow parts can equal rough water as the waves build. Take Western Lake Erie for example; 35' deep and notorious for huge waves. Very calm compared to Lake Michigan? Whatever. http://www.great-lakes.net/lakes/ref/huronfact.html Give me a frickin break ...........that lake is for pu$$ys , considering i have lived in........ and on the Saginaw Bay area , and often made the trip from Saginaw to Tawas , Alpena , or Oscoda.......................

Ghost
06-25-2011, 03:28 PM
...Actually it looks closer to 85 miles.

So, you can get there in an hour, right? Your boat won't run an hour on a full tank? WTF? :) <ducking>

Carl C
06-25-2011, 04:18 PM
So, you can get there in an hour, right? Your boat won't run an hour on a full tank? WTF? :) <ducking>

ha! This could be the adventure of a lifetime. Crossing the widest part of Lake Huron in a 22' boat. I wonder if anyone has done it....I wouldn't try it alone without an EPIRB.

Mondolioni
07-01-2011, 10:12 AM
ha! This could be the adventure of a lifetime. Crossing the widest part of Lake Huron in a 22' boat. I wonder if anyone has done it....I wouldn't try it alone without an EPIRB.

Sorry lads been busy as a MF!
I'm on holidays on the lake from the 8th to the 17th of July if anyone is planning to giver a go? I know Glasshole is busy but he might bring his bad ass boat for a day or 2? Also there are alternatives to going across at that point. You go across at a shorter point then gas up at any of the harbours and race up the coast. Some beautiful scenery.
Let me know via email that gets redirected to my bb. joe@elmirapump.com
Could be the start of annual run....

Joe

Carl C
07-01-2011, 10:24 AM
Joe, I just don't think it's doable even if Artie thinks Lake Huron is always like glass and is for "pu$$ys"..............

Offset
07-01-2011, 08:31 PM
I might try it with at least one other boat along. I can put folks up at my cabin in Oscoda directly across the lake from Mandolioni. Who's in for a big adventure??

Got a little break here at work and it looks closer to a 90 mile cruise. That's pushing close to my limits. Anybody else crazy enough?

OK, now that I'm home and able to actually measure this it is over 100 miles to cross Lake Huron. That's over my range. I would have to carry gas cans.

Anybody? A two hour cruise. Just like the SS Minnow ;).

Hey CarlC now you wish you had paid more attention to that gas saving nonsense a couple of weeks ago right? LOL. It is not all about speed when you are drifting and out of gas!! Good luck if you try it.

Murray

Carl C
07-01-2011, 09:33 PM
Hey CarlC now you wish you had paid more attention to that gas saving nonsense a couple of weeks ago right? LOL. It is not all about speed when you are drifting and out of gas!! Good luck if you try it.
Murray

I've got room up front for 4 of those flat 5 gallon gas cans..................Not gonna go alone. Who else is in????

OFFSHORE GINGER
07-01-2011, 10:39 PM
Carl i am going to be in that area this week end .......Shoot me your address .

Carl C
07-02-2011, 11:17 AM
Carl i am going to be in that area this week end .......Shoot me your address .

I work all week-end and am leaving for Alaska Tuesday :). I won't be boating for awhile I guess :(. Call me if you want at 248-330-0048. Lake Huron can get as out of shape as any of the Great Lakes BTW ;).

Mondolioni
07-22-2011, 05:03 PM
I'll be up at my cottage for 2 weeks holidays. Let me know if any of you are interested in joining me for a day or 2 on the water. My cell is 5196356403 shoot me a text or call if you can swing it. I'll make arragements. There's an extremely outside shot at me going to the Muskoka gig if the stars all align this weekend but highly doubtful.
Anyway hope to here from you all soon....

Cheers and stay thirsty...