PDA

View Full Version : Any North Florida Donzi's?

scag
06-04-2011, 07:49 AM
Hello,

I'm not a Donzi owner (but hope to be one day), however, I'm looking to see if there are any Donzi Classic owners near where I live and boat. I would love to do photograph one of these boats and wanted to see if there was anyone near by that would want to get together to get some pictures done.

I live in Tallahassee, but frequently take my boat to the Flint River, which is in Bainbridge, GA. So I'm looking for anyone in that area or perhaps in the Panama City area, Destin, or another South GA spot not too far away.

I would really love to get more experience shooting boats and I thought, why not try to find someone with my favorite boats of all time to shoot...after all...the picture is only going to be as good as the subject right?

Reply to this thread or shoot me an email at dpd.photo@yahoo.com. This doesnt have to happen in the immediate future...I'll be willing anytime!

You can see my photography here: www.donaldsonphotography.net (http://www.donaldsonphotography.net) and as you'll see, there is currently no boat photography. I hope to change that.

Here are a couple pictures I took last year of my friends American Skier project:

http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr278/dpd03c/amskier2of3.jpg
http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr278/dpd03c/amskier1of3.jpg
http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr278/dpd03c/amskier3of3.jpg

silverghost
06-04-2011, 11:02 AM
Great high-quality photos.

That's one heck of a BIG wakeboard tower on your friend's American Skier.

Forrest
06-06-2011, 02:21 PM
Come to the Eufaula Donzi Event this year over the labor Day Weekend. If all goes as planned, there should be a number of nice Donzis a greet Donzi owners to meet and maybe hitch a ride or two.

Depending on which side of town you live on, it's about a 100 (+ or -10) miles away. You just head north on US27 to Blakely, GA, then north on GA39 just past Ft Gaines.

We'll be there!

BTW, I have a pontoon boat (the other boat) which works great for photos.

Link to the event thread:

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=65275

I managed to find one picture from a past Eufaula event on this PC. I'll post a few more once I get back to my main PC:

VetteLT193
06-06-2011, 03:06 PM
I've been to flint once, haven't been back because the GA lifejacket laws are pretty insane for kids and I felt the river was suited for a smaller boat.

At this point we boat out of Carrabelle for the most part. We hit up Dog Island most weekends over summer or we go to the St. Marks Sandbar (well, we haven't actually hit up the St. Marks sandbar from carrabelle but we're going to try this weekend if the weather permits.)

So if you are ever down my way, drop me a note. BTW, where are you in Tallahassee? I'm on the East side of town.

Forrest
06-06-2011, 03:13 PM
Oh yes, there are not too many Donzis at all in Tally. VetteLT193 lives here and he has a nice Donzi, I'm here just south of the Parkway, and there are possibly a few "quiet" board members here as well. But for the most part, you usually don't see Classic Donzis running in Wakulla or Franklin counties.

I did once many years ago see a nice Corsican at Ochlocknee River State Park, and I've been up and down Ochlocknee Bay and river many times not seeing any others. Even back when the economy was better, you would not see very many offshore performance boats around here. I used to run my Magnum out of St Marks and from my house at Mashes Sands, but would only occasionally see a Fountain or a Cigarette, and most of those sightings were during the White Trash Bash.

There is great water in the Big Bend area, but 99% of the boats are fishing boats - maybe because the fishing hers is so good!

Magnum pics from Mashes Sands - 38 Blue Crab Lane.

Forrest
06-06-2011, 03:28 PM
I've been to flint once, haven't been back because the GA lifejacket laws are pretty insane for kids and I felt the river was suited for a smaller boat.

Bob, you are right about the Flint!

For everyone's information, DO NOT, repeat DO NOT go up the Flint River much past Bainbridge, unless you are in a small boat and you or someone with you knows that river very well. The problem is, once you get a little north past Bainbridge there are giant unmarked boulders sticking above and hiding under the water that you can easily hit and ruin your day - perhaps a little longer.

Also, you might try the St. Marks to Dog Island run. I haven't done it in a while, but, you can run the inside across Alligator Point Shoal during a good high tide, but you alway have to run the outside during any other tide. GPS map is a must.

scag
06-06-2011, 08:15 PM
Come to the Eufaula Donzi Event this year over the labor Day Weekend. If all goes as planned, there should be a number of nice Donzis a greet Donzi owners to meet and maybe hitch a ride or two.

We'll be there!

BTW, I have a pontoon boat (the other boat) which works great for photos.

Link to the event thread:

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=65275 (http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=65275)

I'll Definitely calendar this...as it gets closer, I'll have a better idea of whether I can make it out there. Thanks for the heads up!

At this point we boat out of Carrabelle for the most part. We hit up Dog Island most weekends over summer or we go to the St. Marks Sandbar (well, we haven't actually hit up the St. Marks sandbar from carrabelle but we're going to try this weekend if the weather permits.)

So if you are ever down my way, drop me a note. BTW, where are you in Tallahassee? I'm on the East side of town.

Good to know. I'm actually going to be down at St. George this Saturday at some point..doing a photoshoot for a couple whom I recent shot their wedding. Thats about as close to the coast in the past 18 months or so. I'm on the North West about 5 minutes from Lake Jackson.

Oh yes, there are not too many Donzis at all in Tally. VetteLT193 lives here and he has a nice Donzi, I'm here just south of the Parkway, and there are possibly a few "quiet" board members here as well. But for the most part, you usually don't see Classic Donzis running in Wakulla or Franklin counties.

I did once many years ago see a nice Corsican at Ochlocknee River State Park, and I've been up and down Ochlocknee Bay and river many times not seeing any others. Even back when the economy was better, you would not see very many offshore performance boats around here. I used to run my Magnum out of St Marks and from my house at Mashes Sands, but would only occasionally see a Fountain or a Cigarette, and most of those sightings were during the White Trash Bash.

There is great water in the Big Bend area, but 99% of the boats are fishing boats - maybe because the fishing hers is so good!

Magnum pics from Mashes Sands - 38 Blue Crab Lane.

Nice boat. Know what you mean about the boats being predominantly fishing boats. Rencently, I did see someone towing a black 22 classic, turning from Mahan onto capital circle heading south...kinda surprised me.

Bob, you are right about the Flint!

For everyone's information, DO NOT, repeat DO NOT go up the Flint River much past Bainbridge, unless you are in a small boat and you or someone with you knows that river very well. The problem is, once you get a little north past Bainbridge there are giant unmarked boulders sticking above and hiding under the water that you can easily hit and ruin your day - perhaps a little longer.

Also, you might try the St. Marks to Dog Island run. I haven't done it in a while, but, you can run the inside across Alligator Point Shoal during a good high tide, but you alway have to run the outside during any other tide. GPS map is a must.

Yes..must share my experience. 3 weeks ago on a Saturday, I ruined my day...and some.... about 2 minutes after leaving the dock. Hit a rock just outside the freaking no wake zone...couldnt believe it was un marked. I've been on the river 10-15 times with zero problems and from what all the locals have said, there werent many rocks up until you go past the 2nd sand bar at the s curve...which is about maybe 5 miles past the boat basin launch in bainbridge. Anyhow...if you are launching at the boat basin, make sure once you get past the no wake zone buoys, you continue out into the center of the river before you turn north...if you try to cut the corner, beware of the boulders ...i hesitate to call them rocks. After I put my boat on the trailer, I had to go out and swim to see if I could find where I hit....I found a few boulders that I was able to walk on with my chest completely out of the water...I.E., they were only about 3-4 feet under the water. Long story short...bent prop shaft, ss prop, etc...lower drive wont need to be replaced, but getting new shaft, seal kit, etc. Got the $1700 today...thank goodness for insurance!

scag
06-07-2011, 07:46 AM
Here is a picture of said prop...

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m612/melissa0785/boat3of3.jpg

Forrest
06-07-2011, 09:20 AM
Oh man! That looks bad, but the good thing is that that rock didn't punch a hole in bottom of your boat. Lots of horror stories from the Flint.

BTW, when I first moved to this area, I unknowingly took my '72 16 Donzi (pictured in the above post) a good ways up the Flint marveling at the great rock formations that seemed to pop up on either side and occasionally in the middle of the river. I just figured that if there were any hazards on what seemed to be navigable water, the Army Corp would have surely place a marker there. After a while one thing became abundantly clear, there were no boats, I mean absolutely none in this area where there were many boats on the river just south or west of Bainbridge. I also noticed there some fairly good size eddies in places in the middle of the river as the current was running at a fair clip. Anyway, the bottom line is though not marked in any way (at the time), the Flint in this area is not considered navigable waters and I'm totally lucky that I didn't crash and sink the Donzi on one of the many unmarked submerged boulders there. By sheer luck, the river must have been high that day. The Flint north of Bainbridge? Never again in anything other than a kayak.

scag
06-07-2011, 01:10 PM
Oh man! That looks bad, but the good thing is that that rock didn't punch a hole in bottom of your boat. Lots of horror stories from the Flint.

BTW, when I first moved to this area, I unknowingly took my '72 16 Donzi (pictured in the above post) a good ways up the Flint marveling at the great rock formations that seemed to pop up on either side and occasionally in the middle of the river. I just figured that if there were any hazards on what seemed to be navigable water, the Army Corp would have surely place a marker there. After a while one thing became abundantly clear, there were no boats, I mean absolutely none in this area where there were many boats on the river just south or west of Bainbridge. I also noticed there some fairly good size eddies in places in the middle of the river as the current was running at a fair clip. Anyway, the bottom line is though not marked in any way (at the time), the Flint in this area is not considered navigable waters and I'm totally lucky that I didn't crash and sink the Donzi on one of the many unmarked submerged boulders there. By sheer luck, the river must have been high that day. The Flint north of Bainbridge? Never again in anything other than a kayak.

Here's a map of the portion of the river we frequent. I've seen the boulders you are talking about. At about the Red X at the top of the map is where I would advise you do not head past...you'll seldom see boats go there and if you do, its always very small boats or locals. About 1000 yards south of the X is "the hangout" beach that everyone goes too...i've seen powerboats up to about 30ft beach here all day long.

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m612/melissa0785/flint.jpg

The X at the bottom of the map is the boat basin where I launch from....its a really nice launch area (they've recently as of spring '11 put major money into the complex) but its still somewhat shallow until you get into the main channel of the river. Definitely o.k. for a 22 classic or smaller.

VetteLT193
06-07-2011, 01:26 PM
Here's a map of the portion of the river we frequent. I've seen the boulders you are talking about. At about the Red X at the top of the map is where I would advise you do not head past...you'll seldom see boats go there and if you do, its always very small boats or locals. About 1000 yards south of the X is "the hangout" beach that everyone goes too...i've seen powerboats up to about 30ft beach here all day long.

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m612/melissa0785/flint.jpg

The X at the bottom of the map is the boat basin where I launch from....its a really nice launch area (they've recently as of spring '11 put major money into the complex) but its still somewhat shallow until you get into the main channel of the river. Definitely o.k. for a 22 classic or smaller.

I'm pretty sure that bottom X is where I launched from. I was like the odd man out there though.

We went with friends that day, who have a Tahoe, and they lost the bottom of their drive hitting something.

scag
06-10-2011, 08:48 AM

I tried to send you a pm, but your box was full...I am staying in the st. teresa area this evening ... might be to take some pics Sat. morning. Shoot me a ring if you are interested 407-257-7980.

-David

VetteLT193
06-10-2011, 09:18 AM
cool man, I'll be going out in the morning, just not sure when. I don't run a classic though so I'm not sure if I'm a good candidate.

scag
06-10-2011, 12:08 PM
cool man, I'll be going out in the morning, just not sure when. I don't run a classic though so I'm not sure if I'm a good candidate.

Its all good...I enjoy taking the pics regardless! Would be cool to get them posted back up on the forum. Just give me a buzz when you figure out when your leaving. Do you leave from a Marina or do you have a place there?

JustMercMe
06-28-2011, 11:11 AM
Scag,
I'm up the Chattahoochee in Columbia, AL, We are about 30 miles south of Eufaula, I have a 22C and theres a 22ZX and Minx that frequents here with us also. We usually do a river trip down to Apalach every Memorial Day.....This year was tough due to water levels but we trailered down anyway.

Been to the big sandbar on the Flint a couple of times, Have friends there with tunnel boats that we run with.

Forrest, Looking forward to Labor Day.....See ya then!

scag
06-28-2011, 11:41 AM
Scag,
I'm up the Chattahoochee in Columbia, AL, We are about 30 miles south of Eufaula, I have a 22C and theres a 22ZX and Minx that frequents here with us also. We usually do a river trip down to Apalach every Memorial Day.....This year was tough due to water levels but we trailered down anyway.

Been to the big sandbar on the Flint a couple of times, Have friends there with tunnel boats that we run with.

Forrest, Looking forward to Labor Day.....See ya then!

Cool! Keep in touch then and let me know if you are ever heading to the Flint in the near future. When you say you've been to the flint sand bars...did you travel by boat down the Chat and then up the flint? If so, about how long did that take?

JustMercMe
06-28-2011, 05:02 PM
Cool! Keep in touch then and let me know if you are ever heading to the Flint in the near future. When you say you've been to the flint sand bars...did you travel by boat down the Chat and then up the flint? If so, about how long did that take?

Never had the Donzi on the Flint....Everytime we've been over it's been on the drag boat and we put in at the boat basin and ride down about a mile to the sandbar. We do trips to Trails End quite a bit during the summer to eat then come back and lock thru. GPS says 38 miles to there from my house.

We have a pretty good sandbar like Bainbridge that we hang out on up this way called Smith's Bend. People here every weekend mostly.

Might wanna check out the Emerald Coast Poker Run coming up in August in Destin. Ton of big Hi Po boats to look at there. We take our vacation for that every year. Big Time. Got a bud from LA bringing his 18C to hang with us this year also.

Give me a call sometime if your up this way. We're on the water most every weekend. Jonathan 334.790.6616

Here's a pic on the boat in Destin for Bowlegs a couple of years ago.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l195/itchysnrvous/Billy%20Bowlegs%2009/DSC00518.jpg

realmc6@cox.net
06-28-2011, 06:21 PM
I live in Fort Walton Beach and have a Sweet 16. If you are ever over this way let me know maybe we can work something out for you to take some photos. realmc6@cox.net

scag
07-01-2011, 08:59 AM
Never had the Donzi on the Flint....Everytime we've been over it's been on the drag boat and we put in at the boat basin and ride down about a mile to the sandbar. We do trips to Trails End quite a bit during the summer to eat then come back and lock thru. GPS says 38 miles to there from my house.

We have a pretty good sandbar like Bainbridge that we hang out on up this way called Smith's Bend. People here every weekend mostly.

Might wanna check out the Emerald Coast Poker Run coming up in August in Destin. Ton of big Hi Po boats to look at there. We take our vacation for that every year. Big Time. Got a bud from LA bringing his 18C to hang with us this year also.

Give me a call sometime if your up this way. We're on the water most every weekend. Jonathan 334.790.6616

Here's a pic on the boat in Destin for Bowlegs a couple of years ago.

Great looking boat right there! Thanks for the good info....i'll be in touch.

I live in Fort Walton Beach and have a Sweet 16. If you are ever over this way let me know maybe we can work something out for you to take some photos. realmc6@cox.net

Definitely. My wife and I are supposed to get over that way late July. I'll let you know. Thanks!