PDA

View Full Version : engine hatch 18

ted z
06-04-2011, 06:55 AM
I just got back from a half soggy week at lake george and trying to give it a once over before I put it in my local lake.I cannot open the rear hatch.It seems like the knob on the latch will not pop up all the way.It turns fine and it locks fine.I dont want to pry on it and scrath it all up.Cant remember what the latch looks like,maybe a pin worked loose?Any insite,since I dont have another to look at,would be app. thank you

mrfixxall
06-04-2011, 09:17 AM
I just got back from a half soggy week at lake george and trying to give it a once over before I put it in my local lake.I cannot open the rear hatch.It seems like the knob on the latch will not pop up all the way.It turns fine and it locks fine.I dont want to pry on it and scrath it all up.Cant remember what the latch looks like,maybe a pin worked loose?Any insite,since I dont have another to look at,would be app. thank you

yep the pin worked its way over..going to have to pry it open,,i think some guys used a 2x4 and somthing to pry the hatch latch up..

Kirbyvv
06-06-2011, 07:49 AM
This happened to mine a couple years ago. The pin slipped. Get it in the open position and carefully pry, while wiggling the knob. Keep trying with the knob in both directions. Replacement stainless split pins are available at your local Ace Hardware. Good luck.

ted z
06-06-2011, 08:56 PM
Thanks for the help.I tried to pry it up with a board but the board snapped.I got a little concerned that I was going to crack the fiberglass so I drilled out the hinge screws and reached under and tapped the pin over.Im going to epoxy that son of a bitch in and if I ever need to remove the knob I will cut the pin and drill it out of the knob.

silverghost
06-06-2011, 09:15 PM
A solid brass or aluminum pin might be a better choice here than a hardened split steel or SS pin.
If you ever need to break it~ It would be fairly easy to do so.
Use locktite thread-locker to secure the pin in the center position.