PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a 25 zx Donzi 1997

tdlong98
06-02-2011, 09:03 AM
I bought a 1997 Donzi 25 zx. It has the 454 magnum 365 HP. It looks to be in good shape with around 450 hours on it. What should I look for.I paid $21,000. I cant seen to find much information on this boat. Is there any thing I should know? Where can I find more info? I am picking it up next week. Thank you, Dean

http://www.donzi.net/forums/images/buttons/quote.gif (http://www.donzi.net/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=287673) http://www.boatfreaks.org/forums/images/buttons/multiquote_off.gif (http://www.donzi.net/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=287673) http://www.donzi.net/forums/images/buttons/quickreply.gif (http://www.donzi.net/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=287673)

Mckillop
06-02-2011, 10:14 AM
Hi Dean, I have the same boat (97 25ZX) with a fuel injected 502. Congrats. Depending on the condition of the boat and trailer it sounds like you got a smoking deal. I have never heard of one having a 454, time for some forced induction.lol What prop is on the boat? I'm guessing you are going to need to run a 23p 4 blade prop to get that boat out of the water with any weight in it.
Have you had a mechanical survey done on it yet? If not you will want to have the drive pulled and checked as well as the motor compression checked. Might want to go ahead and have the plugs changed at the same time and it wouldn't hurt to replace the impeller for peace of mind. There are not any issues of dry rot that I have ever heard of with that boat, unless there was transom damage at some point and it was sitting in the water.

tdlong98
06-02-2011, 10:47 AM
Hi Dean, I have the same boat (97 25ZX) with a fuel injected 502. Congrats. Depending on the condition of the boat and trailer it sounds like you got a smoking deal. I have never heard of one having a 454, time for some forced induction.lol You are also going to want to run a 4 blade prop to get that boat out of the water.
Have you had a mechanical survey done on it yet? If not you will want to have the drive pulled and checked as well as the motor compression checked. Might want to go ahead and have the plugs changed at the same time and it wouldn't hurt to replace the impeller for peace of mind. There are not any issues of dry rot that I have ever heard of with that boat, unless there was transom damage at some point and it was sitting in the water.

I know that he had EMI headers put on. The out drive had a shaft upgrade to a larger one 3 years ago. I am not an outdrive guy so im not sure what was done there. The guy I bought it from said it will run 63 MPH on GPS. He told me it has a a it has a 3 blade lab finished 21 pitch prop with added cup and the boat runs 5000 RPM. After the summer, I am thinking about getting the valves reground, a better intake and cam. I would like to see 67 to 70 mph if possible. The trailer looks like brand new and has new tires. It has a $4000 radio, amps, and 10 speakers (very loud) I am picking it up next week and I will post some more pic's then. Thank you for your help, Dean

Mckillop
06-02-2011, 01:37 PM
I know that he had EMI headers put on. The out drive had a shaft upgrade to a larger one 3 years ago. I am not an outdrive guy so im not sure what was done there. The guy I bought it from said it will run 63 MPH on GPS. He told me it has a a it has a 3 blade lab finished 21 pitch prop with added cup and the boat runs 5000 RPM. After the summer, I am thinking about getting the valves reground, a better intake and cam. I would like to see 67 to 70 mph if possible. The trailer looks like brand new and has new tires. It has a $4000 radio, amps, and 10 speakers (very loud) I am picking it up next week and I will post some more pic's then. Thank you for your help, Dean

Sounds like a nice boat. I would bet that he added the BX1 gears which is a nice upgrade. I can't possibly imagine it will runs over 60mph with a 454, but you never know. I also can't imahine you will see anywhere above 65mph without a super charger. There is just to much drag in the water, but you will like the boat i'm sure, I love mine

are you sure it doesn't have the 496?

WifeHatesMyDonzi
06-02-2011, 03:29 PM
nice purchase....beautiful boat..... make sure you post more pics when you get her.....looking forward to seeing more of her

Donzi_Dude
06-02-2011, 05:32 PM
sounds like a great deal.

sweet boat!

im thinking the boat runs closer to 60 based on the rpm/prop/speed claims.

tdlong98
06-03-2011, 07:34 AM
nice purchase....beautiful boat..... make sure you post more pics when you get her.....looking forward to seeing more of her

Im sure you guys are right but hope you are wrong about the speed. LOL. Im not sure why we feel the need to go faster and faster. That is why I bought a Yamaha Apex snowmobile, Now if I could get my boat to run 122 MPH like my sled. LOL. As soon as I get it home I will take mor pic's. Thank you guys

FISHIN SUCKS
06-04-2011, 08:44 PM
Congrats and welcome to the Donzi family:wavey:!!! Definitely put some more pix up, she looks sharp, prolly looks better away from the dock:kingme:. I see a Michigan registration....is she stayin in Michigan or where is she headed?

tdlong98
06-04-2011, 08:52 PM
Congrats and welcome to the Donzi family:wavey:!!! Definitely put some more pix up, she looks sharp, prolly looks better away from the dock:kingme:. I see a Michigan registration....is she stayin in Michigan or where is she headed?

It is staying in Michigan. I like to stay on Hardy Dam. Friday nights are so quiet. Not many boats friday nights

FISHIN SUCKS
06-04-2011, 08:58 PM
i've heard a lot about Hardy Dam, just never been there with the boat. So many places to go, so little time. Looks sharp.......and that's a serious tow vehicle!!

tom

tdlong98
06-04-2011, 09:09 PM
i've heard a lot about Hardy Dam, just never been there with the boat. So many places to go, so little time. Looks sharp.......and that's a serious tow vehicle!!

tompic's are a year old. I forgot to take some when I went to look at it last week

The truck is not mine. I drive a 04 silverado crew cab 4X4. The pic's are a year old. I forgot to take some when I went to look at it last week. I will be picking it up some time this week.