PDA

View Full Version : Charging Mystery???

VancouverMark
05-31-2011, 10:25 PM
I changed my Alternator today on my Port motor because it was showing 8-10 volts on the gauge. I put a brand new one in today and it is still showing low, under 12 volts. All the wires are hooked to the alternator properly and the belt is nice and tight.

Any ideas?

I have an '89 Z33
:bonk:

Planetwarmer
05-31-2011, 10:59 PM
There must be some place that is leaching power (bad ground, short, etc). Your gauge could also be wrong. If you are truly suspicious of the second alternator, take it to Oreily's and have them bench test it.

mrfixxall
05-31-2011, 11:16 PM
I changed my Alternator today on my Port motor because it was showing 8-10 volts on the gauge. I put a brand new one in today and it is still showing low, under 12 volts. All the wires are hooked to the alternator properly and the belt is nice and tight.

Any ideas?

I have an '89 Z33
:bonk:

Get a dvom meter and check it at the battery...or try switching the gauge and see if its the same..

Donzi Vol
06-01-2011, 02:17 PM
What kind of alternator is it? One wire or several? Auto or marine?

VancouverMark
06-01-2011, 02:49 PM
What kind of alternator is it? One wire or several? Auto or marine?

Marine Alt. has several wires

zelatore
06-02-2011, 08:44 AM
Get a dvom meter and check it at the battery...or try switching the gauge and see if its the same..

Sounding like a broken record, but put a meter on the alternator and/or switch the dash gauges. It's free, it's easy, and it's better than throwing money at an alternator that may or may not be a problem.

Donzi Vol
06-05-2011, 05:51 PM
Marine Alt. has several wires

Well, since you've already invested in the new part, I doubt you want to spend more money on another. However, I run a single wire marine alternator straight to the battery, and have no issues. I had some issues before I figured out the easy system.

I'd go with the other suggestions here and do a little more testing. Keep us updated on the thread with your findings, and I'm sure that you'll figure it out.

Good luck