PDA

View Full Version : alpha one, over and out

joseph m. hahnl
05-31-2011, 06:46 PM
:bonk:Sheared my upper gear set last night. So should I rebuild, replace

go used, or SE aftermarket ?

I'm thinking new gear kit.

What kind of tools are required in a rebuild?

gcarter
05-31-2011, 06:49 PM
I'm sure you're capable of rebuilding it Joe, but more than likely you'll end up rebuilding the whole thing.
The 3 year SEI "no questions" warranty is hard to beat for the price.

joseph m. hahnl
05-31-2011, 07:02 PM
I'm sure you're capable of rebuilding it Joe, but more than likely you'll end up rebuilding the whole thing.
The 3 year SEI "no questions" warranty is hard to beat for the price.

I was thinking the only things that would not be new, are the yoke and the carrier assembly.
Plus, I can give my self a warranty. If it breaks I can fix it again.:salute:

Are the SEI as good as merc?

.http://www.mercruiserparts.com/images/CRUISER/99964/30066.png

gcarter
05-31-2011, 07:10 PM
Joe, the argument is;
"What got down into the lower?"
"If I don't disassemble the lower and clean it, how long will it last?"

Check the prices of "Merc" parts and your time and compare it to the cost of the SEI.
But if you insist, check the price of
SEI parts.

BTW, if you do go w/SEI, you can still rebuild your old drive as the SEI is new and there's no core.

Jraysray
05-31-2011, 08:02 PM
Joe, the argument is;
"What got down into the lower?"
"If I don't disassemble the lower and clean it, how long will it last?"

Check the prices of "Merc" parts and your time and compare it to the cost of the SEI.
But if you insist, check the price of
SEI parts.

BTW, if you do go w/SEI, you can still rebuild your old drive as the SEI is new and there's no core.

George,
I did the same thing along with twisting the vert shaft. I was told SEI is a cheaper alt than the replacement Alpha. However, I was warned about SEI being built in China and using inferior parts. Do you have any seat time with a SEI or know someone that has used this drive?

What max HP do you think you could get away with?

Got to admit the 3 year no question asked replacement warranty looks pretty good.

mike o
05-31-2011, 08:37 PM
Joe, a bunch of "stuff" on NH craigslist. Get ya going during our 2 day heat wave :)

gcarter
05-31-2011, 08:47 PM
George,
I did the same thing along with twisting the vert shaft. I was told SEI is a cheaper alt than the replacement Alpha. However, I was warned about SEI being built in China and using inferior parts. Do you have any seat time with a SEI or know someone that has used this drive?

What max HP do you think you could get away with?

Got to admit the 3 year no question asked replacement warranty looks pretty good.

I put one on the Minx. They were very new on the market at that time and only had a one year warranty.
It did very well. It had gear whine that disappeared after about 10 hours.
I used it for about 2+ years before selling the boat.
They're about half the price of a Merc product and there's plenty of anecdotal evidence that they do well.

Buddyc
05-31-2011, 09:05 PM
Thing is here in the North East is that our season is only about 4 to 5 months. My mechinac wont use or work with the SEI. 2 time he did use them he had bearing problems (made in China) and by the time the warranty parts came back nearly a month of tima was lost on our season. I would rather be safe than sorry and go with the Merc. Myself, Im going with a Bravo1

Pismo
06-01-2011, 08:13 PM
I think you can just replace the upper gear set for fairly little money and time.

Rootsy
06-02-2011, 09:17 AM
Make sure you use the HD gear set in the upper. Take the lower apart to flush all of the metal out that got into it with the oil.

Going to need quite a few specialty tools to do it. Spanner wrenches, shimming gauges, way to get races in and out and to remove and press bearings. feeler gauges... Torque wrenches and a way to measure dynamic (rolling) torque.

In the lower you need, at a bare minimum, the spanner to get the hub nut loose, the puller to get the hub out and then a narrowed down 7/8 wrench to get the pinion nut off and a splined hex that fits on the vertical shaft to hold it while removing said nut. Watch out for falling needle bearings after removing the vertical shaft.

Reckon I probably forgot something in that list. Not a difficult job just requires the proper tools and don't think for a minute you can do it without them...

joseph m. hahnl
06-02-2011, 04:22 PM
Make sure you use the HD gear set in the upper. Take the lower apart to flush all of the metal out that got into it with the oil.

Going to need quite a few specialty tools to do it. Spanner wrenches, shimming gauges, way to get races in and out and to remove and press bearings. feeler gauges... Torque wrenches and a way to measure dynamic (rolling) torque.

In the lower you need, at a bare minimum, the spanner to get the hub nut loose, the puller to get the hub out and then a narrowed down 7/8 wrench to get the pinion nut off and a splined hex that fits on the vertical shaft to hold it while removing said nut. Watch out for falling needle bearings after removing the vertical shaft.

Reckon I probably forgot something in that list. Not a difficult job just requires the proper tools and don't think for a minute you can do it without them...

Thanks for the heads up. I'll whittle away at getting all the tools.
I'm going to put a new upper in for now, and I have another lower.
I can't afford to loose any Donzi time, over learning how to disassemble and reassemble a drive to get the right running torque:yes:

I definitely want to, and will learn how to do it. Once the Minx is going again I'll have the patience to do it right:wink:

rustnrot
06-03-2011, 07:55 AM
SEI are NOT assembled in China. I have been to their plant near Tampa, FL first hand. While they may use many (all?) parts from China the assembly of the drive is done here, if that really makes any difference.

We put one on a F14 Donzi and it was a great decision. We did have a warranty claim, however as we noticed oil leaking out slowly. Since I was going to FL anyway at the time, I took the upper and lower to them (2 years after it was originally installed). They shipped it back within 5 days free of charge. They replaced the upper with a new one and, as a courtesy, replaced the water pump impeller and checked out the lower unit also.

When I took the drive out, I damaged the shaft that the hydraulic tilt cylinders mount to. I showed them the shaft and they replaced it for free. Apparently, even if you hit something and destroy the drive it is a "no fault" warranty and they will fix/replace it for free.

I'm a previous and will be a future customer.

gcarter
06-03-2011, 08:06 AM
SEI are NOT assembled in China. I have been to their plant near Tampa, FL first hand. While they may use many (all?) parts from China the assembly of the drive is done here, if that really makes any difference.

We put one on a F14 Donzi and it was a great decision. We did have a warranty claim, however as we noticed oil leaking out slowly. Since I was going to FL anyway at the time, I took the upper and lower to them (2 years after it was originally installed). They shipped it back within 5 days free of charge. They replaced the upper with a new one and, as a courtesy, replaced the water pump impeller and checked out the lower unit also.

When I took the drive out, I damaged the shaft that the hydraulic tilt cylinders mount to. I showed them the shaft and they replaced it for free. Apparently, even if you hit something and destroy the drive it is a "no fault" warranty and they will fix/replace it for free.

I'm a previous and will be a future customer.

I've heard and read many comments like Tom's.

joseph m. hahnl
06-03-2011, 02:46 PM
I've heard and read many comments like Tom's.

I think their name is tarnished with negativity too.I think that is, in part, why they have a three year warranty. They're trying to polish there name by showing it is a rock solid product." Word a mouth":hyper:

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/public/-qUNzQybS4SUV4ApNHKoDZ8VOyGMizRgnzwO3gB_cKWn6SXwVbH oID1KbPdk7yAq3O2BUbEdFkwp0kKUytH-eHVQWC65q3uxJS1TaCjt_WHdKvNwts761vHYXsJDjs_C4psuiD JmEj57L9EjbGuAaq-Bma4Z-0pxhSoVprz7

I'll let you Know how it works out:wink:
http://i.ebayimg.com/19/!CFc(h-!BGk~$(KGrHqF,!l8E1Fw8)RhIBNVFI!cqB!~~_12.JPG

nguber57
06-04-2011, 03:39 PM
I have a couple 1.32 ratio alpha uppers.Been sitting around for a couple years may need seals.They are in good condition.let me know if interested.