PDA

View Full Version : Quick and Quiet exhaust

Tidbart
05-31-2011, 02:26 PM
Just pulled the 502 to replace the coupler. Been 3 years since the rebuild and this is the only issue since.

Now that I have the engine out, I am rethinking earlier decisions.

My question, what are your feelings on keeping the Q&Q? Should I leave it alone or remove it and the Y pipe and make much more room for myself, in the back of the engine.

I rarely have occasion to use it in quiet mode as the engine is not that loud.

I think I asked this question years ago, but can't remember what enticed me put it back.

Bob

jdsdls
05-31-2011, 02:43 PM
Leave it if its working with the noise laws today, it would be a nice feature if you ever sell.

Pismo
05-31-2011, 02:46 PM
Leave it if its working with the noise laws today, it would be a nice feature if you ever sell.

I concur..

Carl C
05-31-2011, 03:06 PM
I'll tell you my feelings. When I am on the big (Great) lakes my transom takes a lot of waves and having those Y pipes gives me some peace of mind that any water that might get past my internal flappers will run down the Y pipe and can't get over the hump into the engine. I only use it once in a while like idling around a marina where they wouldn't appreciate the loud exhaust.

VetteLT193
05-31-2011, 03:25 PM
I like mine. If I change anything, I'm either changing the tips or gutting the Corsa tips so it's either loud or quiet instead of moderate or quiet.

Conquistador_del_mar
05-31-2011, 06:37 PM
A also think the Q&Q is a nice addition. Are you going to use the heavy duty Bravo coupler? Bill

gcarter
05-31-2011, 06:52 PM
I like them and really nice to have when you need them.
They only add about 15-20#.

Tidbart
05-31-2011, 06:52 PM

Noise isn't a big issue. Boat has mufflers.

Wasn't necessarily going to sell it. Could keep it for the next owner.

B

Tidbart
05-31-2011, 06:53 PM
I'll tell you my feelings. When I am on the big (Great) lakes my transom takes a lot of waves and having those Y pipes gives me some peace of mind that any water that might get past my internal flappers will run down the Y pipe and can't get over the hump into the engine. I only use it once in a while like idling around a marina where they wouldn't appreciate the loud exhaust.

Good point. Never really thought of that.

B

Tidbart
05-31-2011, 07:01 PM
A also think the Q&Q is a nice addition. Are you going to use the heavy duty Bravo coupler? Bill

Bill,

All my research turned up all kinds of info on couplers. Without getting into it too much in this thread............... I decided to go with stock one for the BBs. The HD one was made for the 496s and has the long snout on it. It is harder to align and isn't woth the extra $250 bucks (maybe less) for it. Merc currently makes two, the A19 and the A11, if memory serves me correctly.

As long as the engine is mounted and aligned correctly, the coupler should last a long time. Spoke a couple who put up to 650 hp through the stock on without any problems.

I did find one issue which did not help the current one, but I will speak of that later. :bonk::yes:

Conquistador_del_mar
05-31-2011, 07:12 PM
Bill,

All my research turned up all kinds of info on couplers. Without getting into it too much in this thread............... I decided to go with stock one for the BBs. The HD one was made for the 496s and has the long snout on it. It is harder to align and isn't woth the extra $250 bucks (maybe less) for it. Merc currently makes two, the A19 and the A11, if memory serves me correctly.

As long as the engine is mounted and aligned correctly, the coupler should last a long time. Spoke a couple who put up to 650 hp through the stock on without any problems.

I did find one issue which did not help the current one, but I will speak of that later. :bonk::yes:

Interesting. I just bought a 496HO with the HD coupler, but I didn't know it was just for that specific engine. Yes, it has the long snout. I wonder what a friend of mine used in his 1150HP blower engine a few years back. His Bravo drives would not last, but I don't think he had coupler problems. Bill

Tidbart
05-31-2011, 07:53 PM
Interesting. I just bought a 496HO with the HD coupler, but I didn't know it was just for that specific engine. Yes, it has the long snout. I wonder what a friend of mine used in his 1150HP blower engine a few years back. His Bravo drives would not last, but I don't think he had coupler problems. Bill

The 496 one will fit the 502 also. The high hp motors from merc racing have a different coupler.

I guess what I am saying is that the HD one wasn't necessary.

Also, for the most part, I am a one man shop. I don't need to make things harder to align.

The Hedgehog
05-31-2011, 08:17 PM
I would dump it. You have muffs right? It is another thing to screw up. Throw a block off plate in, seal it up and be done with it. More than one boat has been lost to a leaking Y pipe. Technically cutouts are not even legal.

That is coming from a guy that has both a boat with and without them. Just another perspective.

zelatore
06-01-2011, 10:32 AM
I'm going to agree with hedge. I had one on my 22 and when I did the blower I pulled it off. I rarely used it, and it's one less thing to deal with when I'm working in the engine bay. Makes for easier access to the oil lines and other stuff at the back of the motor.

I'll hold on to it and if it proves to be a problem I can always reinstall, but for now I like the room.

VetteLT193
06-01-2011, 10:47 AM
I would dump it. You have muffs right? It is another thing to screw up. Throw a block off plate in, seal it up and be done with it. More than one boat has been lost to a leaking Y pipe. Technically cutouts are not even legal.
That is coming from a guy that has both a boat with and without them. Just another perspective.

Quick and Quiet is not the same thing as a cutout. you are going from one legal muffled exhaust to another. Plus, down here in FL we don't have marine exhaust laws to begin with. (except for air boats).

In a nutshell... un-muffled dry exhaust is legal here.

Tidbart
06-01-2011, 11:05 AM
I'm going to agree with hedge. I had one on my 22 and when I did the blower I pulled it off. I rarely used it, and it's one less thing to deal with when I'm working in the engine bay. Makes for easier access to the oil lines and other stuff at the back of the motor.

I'll hold on to it and if it proves to be a problem I can always reinstall, but for now I like the room.

This is what I have been leaning towards and for all the same reasons. I can always put it back.

Question.....Did you just fill in the void area with some kind of pipe or just put a new hose all the way from the riser to the transom??

B

VetteLT193
06-01-2011, 12:19 PM
go with new hose. The Minx had a fiberglass coupler when I bought it, I didn't like that at all. I ended up with the Trident silicone stuff. Very nice hose, it will set you back more than a few bucks though.

zelatore
06-01-2011, 01:05 PM
I went with new hoses - got some spiffy blue silicon hoses to replace the old black rubber hose while I was at it.