PDA

View Full Version : Got into some SHALLOW sandy water this weekend.

Mckillop
05-31-2011, 10:46 AM
This weekend I accidentally ran aground into a shallow sand bar at almost idle speed. The is no damage or anything like that, just rubbed a little paint off the skeg, but I did kick up quite a bit of sand and mud in the water. My question is, should I check the impeller out or anything else to make sure I didn't suck up too much sand? I did run the boat for a while after it happened and the temp was right where it is supposed to be and everything ran perfect, I just want to make sure I get everything cleaned out.

Tidbart
05-31-2011, 01:21 PM
It is probably as clean as your gonna get it just from running it.

Run it and replace your impeller at the next normal interval.

B

CHACHI
05-31-2011, 01:55 PM
If you don't overheat you are good to go.

Flush everything out when you lay it up for the year.

Ken

Mckillop
05-31-2011, 02:10 PM
Thats what I was hoping to hear. Thanks guys

mrfixxall
05-31-2011, 03:08 PM
pull the water plugs in the block and run it on the hose,,if you sucked up sand it will settle in the block and the lower part of the manifolds or if you have headers the sand will settle in end of the water distribution tube that feeds the headers..i see it all the time where i boat..

Carl C
05-31-2011, 03:10 PM
Sand and muck will usually flow through the closed cooling system. I've done the same thing without any problems. Raw water cooled, I hear the sand can accumulate in the block.

Mckillop
05-31-2011, 03:12 PM
Its a 502mpi w/o fresh water cooling. But it was in a fresh water river. Where are the water plugs located on the block? I would want to just run hise water through it without the engine on right?

Carl C
05-31-2011, 03:14 PM
No, its a 502mpi w/o fresh water cooling. But it was in a fresh water river.

I saw that your's is an 18 and edited my post but you already read it! It's been mentioned here lots of times that sand can accumulate in the block.

Mckillop
05-31-2011, 03:16 PM
This was in my 25ZX. I appreciate the help. Thanks

mrfixxall
05-31-2011, 03:24 PM
Its a 502mpi w/o fresh water cooling. But it was in a fresh water river. Where are the water plugs located on the block? I would want to just run hise water through it without the engine on right?

so your saying you have antifreeze in the engine?? you have a heat enchanger?

the way i rear w/o fresh water cooling??

just pull the plug in the heat enchanger and see if sand comes out of it..

MOP
05-31-2011, 03:32 PM
The plugs are low on the block, one just ahead of the starter and one in the same location on the other side. I pays to remove the whole thing, most have a screw out center which does not allow for great water flow. You should run the engine on the hose, one other place that can have some residue is the oil cooler that is a simple back flush.

Phil

Mckillop
05-31-2011, 03:38 PM
so your saying you have antifreeze in the engine?? you have a heat enchanger?

the way i rear w/o fresh water cooling??

just pull the plug in the heat enchanger and see if sand comes out of it..

Its a raw water cooled engine

Conquistador_del_mar
05-31-2011, 06:42 PM
pull the water plugs in the block and run it on the hose,,if you sucked up sand it will settle in the block and the lower part of the manifolds or if you have headers the sand will settle in end of the water distribution tube that feeds the headers..i see it all the time where i boat..

+1 on cleaning out the block and exhaust. You would be shocked at how much sand I recently removed from some exhaust manifolds. Bill

gcarter
05-31-2011, 06:57 PM
A deep style strainer, like a Perko, can collect it and keep it out of your system.
A transom pickup, rather than the drive pickup can help also.

Tidbart
05-31-2011, 07:10 PM
Its a 502mpi w/o fresh water cooling. Where are the water plugs located on the block?

I just happened to have one handy. will post you a photo or two to show you exactly where they are.

B

Tidbart
05-31-2011, 07:41 PM
first one is the starboard side, second the port.

See the blue drain plugs. One is on the bottom of the exhaust and the other is down on the side of the block.

B

Mckillop
06-01-2011, 10:52 AM
Thanks a lot Tidbart, thats a HUGE help. I really appreciate everyones help

CaribouLou
06-02-2011, 11:46 PM
:drunk::smileybo: