PDA

View Full Version : Drain plug hole

Buddyc
05-29-2011, 01:22 PM
Im working on my hull this am and noticed that when the transom was redone there was never a drain plug reinstalled. What is the process for installing a new one and hole size? I would think there would have to be pressed in like a ferrel type? Im sure there are a few of you guys on here that have done it before.
Thank you in advance,
BuddyC

gcarter
05-29-2011, 01:35 PM
Here's your answer in two parts;

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=61174

And then the installation;

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=50476&page=42

If you want to use the tool, you can PayPal some money to me for shipping......

MOP
05-29-2011, 01:38 PM
You can go with the rubber plug or the bronze screw in type, no matter which you use the hole must sealed extremely well. Much of the transom rot we encounter is due to leakage by the drain plug, it in most cases wicks its way into the stringers as most builders do not isolate the stringers from the transom. Stringers dhould alway be glassed over at the aft ends before setting them in place.

Buddyc
05-29-2011, 01:45 PM
Now thats what im talking about... Thank you so much guys! Im assuming when Rootsy did the stringers and transom he did a quality job...Its very solid. Im just working on a few details before I flip her over and start prepping for topcoat.

Buddyc
05-29-2011, 01:52 PM
Here's your answer in two parts;

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=61174

And then the installation;

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=50476&page=42

If you want to use the tool, you can PayPal some money to me for shipping......
Thanks George. Let me know what you want and where do I get the brass plug u used?

gcarter
05-29-2011, 02:13 PM
I found the tube on eBay, where I find most of my stuff.
I'll figure out the shipping if you'll PM your address.

Buddyc
05-29-2011, 02:38 PM
I found the tube on eBay, where I find most of my stuff.
I'll figure out the shipping if you'll PM your address.
Just found the same one you used on E bay....Will have it next week. Thanks for the help George

silverghost
05-29-2011, 03:37 PM
Buddy~
A few years ago 5 boats were sunk in my Ocean City NJ lagoon and several others in the area, after some idiot removed the rubber transom drain plugs.
My boat somehow escaped .
How, or why, I will never know ?
The guy was NEVER caught.
I later pulled my boat & removed the bronze tube and replaced it with a bronze flange style transom drain with a 1/2" screw in long pipe plug.
I now make sure I tighten this scew-in plug with a big wrench.
Since then~I have never been a big fan of those tube style drains & plugs.

Buddyc
05-29-2011, 04:06 PM
Buddy~
A few years ago 5 boats were sunk in my Ocean City NJ lagoon after some idiot removed the rubber transom drain plugs.
My boat somehow escaped .
How, or why, I will never know ?
I later pulled my boat & removed the bronze tube and replaced it with a bronze flange style transom drain with a 1/2" screw in long pipe plug.
I now make sure I tighten this scew-in plug with a big wrench.
Since then~I have never been a big fan of those tube style drains & plugs.
I can appreciate that but believe me when tell you this.., she won't be out of my site after I finish her. If someone ever got caughtdoing that i believe u have the right to a public hanging

Morgan's Cloud
05-29-2011, 04:21 PM
Brad makes a point that hits home for me too. When I redid the transom in the St T , I described how I redid the drain hole in detail somewhere. I was pleased with how it came out and water intrusion is not on my worry list now.

I didn't switch over to the screw in garboard drain type plug but retained the original rubber plugy thing seeing that the original hole for the drain plug still existed in the then single skin of the transom.

I deliberately made the new tube a weenie bit longer than the original and now have an outer AND inner plug when it's overboard.

So if some miscreant ever pulls that trick , he'll no doubt be dissappointed to see the boat still floating the next day .

Buddyc
05-29-2011, 04:27 PM
Brad makes a point that hits home for me too. When I redid the transom in the St T , I described how I redid the drain hole in detail somewhere. I was pleased with how it came out and water intrusion is not on my worry list now.

I didn't switch over to the screw in garboard drain type plug but retained the original rubber plugy thing seeing that the original hole for the drain plug still existed in the then single skin of the transom.

I deliberately made the new tube a weenie bit longer than the original and now have an outer AND inner plug when it's overboard.

So if some miscreant ever pulls that trick , he'll no doubt be dissappointed to see the boat still floating the next day .
The Garbard plugs I have seen dont have the thru hull brass sleve... Or do they? My Cobalt had one and always seemed to seep water after a long day out

Morgan's Cloud
05-29-2011, 04:32 PM
Admittedly , that's one of the weak points of the screw in garboard drain plugs. You have to start out with a completely waterproof drain hole and then contend with properly sealing the screws perfectly ..

One of the very few applications that I would recommend 5200 for.

But it'll take that bas***rd a lot longer to get the plug out of one of them than a rubber plug drain.

rustnrot
05-29-2011, 05:45 PM
I would not put the drain plug in. That is what bilge pumps are for. One less (rot around the plug), make that two (did you forget the plug?) things to worry about...

gcarter
05-29-2011, 06:48 PM
I think in my thread, I sealed the wood w/System Three penetrating epoxy (Clear Coat). Well, whether I stated it or not, I did do it, and since I did, it won't rot. When the soda straws can't absorb water, it can't rot.
Then I did use 5200 to seal the tube in. I don't think I (or anyone who buys the boat) will have any issues w/it.
I like the 1" brass tube because I can run a oil drain hose through it. I don't think you can w/the garboard drain.
And, since I keep the boat inside, I very seldom pull the drain.

Carl C
05-29-2011, 07:16 PM
I think in my thread, I sealed the wood w/System Three penetrating epoxy (Clear Coat). Well, whether I stated it or not, I did do it, and since I did, it won't rot. When the soda straws can't absorb water, it can't rot.
Then I did use 5200 to seal the tube in. I don't think I (or anyone who buys the boat) will have any issues w/it.
I like the 1" brass tube because I can run a oil drain hose through it. I don't think you can w/the garboard drain.
And, since I keep the boat inside, I very seldom pull the drain.

My oil drain hose runs through the garboard style drain that my boat came with. In fact it is attached to the plug for easy drain hose extricating.

DickB
05-30-2011, 08:27 AM
I would not put the drain plug in. That is what bilge pumps are for. One less (rot around the plug), make that two (did you forget the plug?) things to worry about...
Here in Minnesota we are required to drain bilges before leaving the boat ramp to prevent invasive non-native species such as millfoil and zebra mussels. Specifically, it is illegal to transport water from infested lakes. My bilge pump doesn't get all the water out. I think a drain is necessary.

hardcrab
05-30-2011, 10:27 AM
The brass tubes will get brittle and deteriorate with age.

When I overhauled my Whaler, I glassed in a tube to house the brass drain tube.
I started by using a longer than needed brass drain tube, covering it with parting agent, wraping the tube with fiberglass tape (resin soaked) - then rolled it tight in wax paper to shape the exterior.
When it cures, remove the wax paper , slide the tube out and install it in the transom. I feathered the holes on both sides to allow glasswork to to seal it in. Trim off the excess and intall the brass tube with 5200.

thescooter
05-30-2011, 01:15 PM
the 3 stooges had a "Water Letter Outer". Now that what i have a water letter outer not a drain plug.

gcarter
05-30-2011, 01:49 PM
The brass tubes will get brittle and deteriorate with age.

When I overhauled my Whaler, I glassed in a tube to house the brass drain tube.
I started by using a longer than needed brass drain tube, covering it with parting agent, wraping the tube with fiberglass tape (resin soaked) - then rolled it tight in wax paper to shape the exterior.
When it cures, remove the wax paper , slide the tube out and install it in the transom. I feathered the holes on both sides to allow glasswork to to seal it in. Trim off the excess and intall the brass tube with 5200.

Your solution was clever.
I agree they'll disentegrate over time as they're brass and de-zinkefy.
And while I wish they were copper or bronze, mine lasted at least 22 years w/o any issues. I also sealed the wood inside w/penetrating epoxy.

hardcrab
05-30-2011, 02:40 PM
Your solution was clever.
mine lasted at least 22 years w/o any issues. .

I agree it's nothing to lose sleep over.

The Whaler is a '66 and there wasn't much of them tubes left !

MOP
05-30-2011, 03:28 PM
IMO a properly installed screw plug is the best, bronze is near indestructible. They never need to be much more than a little over hand tight, I drilled the head of mine and put a hefty cotter pin through it for a tab extra leverage. Another plus id they don't come out unintendedly, many years of running a marina the only plug sinkers were rubber plug boats!

Buddyc
05-30-2011, 04:59 PM
This may be a real stupid question... but why can't you put the brass sleeve in and modify the the bronze screw in plug and put that over top of it?

mike o
05-30-2011, 06:45 PM
the 3 stooges had a "Water Letter Outer". Now that what i have a water letter outer not a drain plug."Victim of circumstance"...........:kingme: nuck-nuck-nuck:kingme:

silverghost
05-30-2011, 06:53 PM
"Victim of circumstance"...........:kingme: nuck-nuck-nuck:kingme:

Get out the old brace & bit to let that water out .

Hey Guys~
I actually met MOE HOWARD in person in the early 1970s at the old "Mike Douglass Show" studio from Philly~~
A friend's Dad was an audio engineer on that show & got us back-stage to meet our childhood hero.
We both cut classes early to get there for the show taping~

Moe was great to us !

BUT~
That's a story for another thread .