PDA

View Full Version : No shortage of time when you daydream

yeller
05-29-2011, 05:08 AM
DISCLAIMER: This is a useless thread. Read only if bored.

I am stupid busy and don't know when I'll be able to boat again. That doesn't stop me (of course) from buying parts for the Donzi....dreaming of the day I can peacefully and leisurely install them. Despite having no free time; "dreaming" is the key word here, because installing new parts never turns out to be peaceful or leisurely. Certainly not when your imaginary best friend is Murphy.

I'm still trying to find the time to do the simple install of the fuel-sending unit I purchased from Tidbart. That's the easiest one and I can't even find time for that. So what to do when I find 30 minutes of free time??? Of course.....buy more parts!! :hyper:

What did I buy?
Cupholders! What the @#%#! do you need cup holders in a Classic for....and where the @#%* do you put them!
I have a spot picked out for them, but I can't say for fear of being banished from the site. :bonk: ....But they are necessary because I need a spot to hold my coffee while I install the other parts that I'm accumulating.

What else...? What's boating without breaking or wearing out parts? Goes hand in hand doesn't it? Well it does for me anyways. The last time out, (well the only time this year), the intercooler for my SC blew a hole. Purchased a new cooler, but of course it's not a direct bolt in. No, of course not, that would cost extra $$. In my daydream world, I have lots of time, so why buy a direct replacement. Save some cash, spend a bit of extra time and buy one that requires custom brackets and tubing. No biggie...I'll find the time

So after I install the cooler, I'll be ready run...but of course I want to know how fast I'm going. Since I installed the Blackhawk, my speedo hasn't been hooked up. I need an aftermarket speedo pitot for it. Who needs a speedo in a Classic you say?? After all, the tach is all a Real boater needs. True, but no one needs a boat either....especially a Classic. I mean...do I fish with my boat?...No. Do I ski or tube with my boat?...No. Do I take a dozen friends and cruise the shoreline sipping wine on my boat?...No Do I sleep on my boat?...No...well sort of, maybe...does passing out count? :tongue: So what use is it?? Well it goes fast and makes me look good. Isn't that enough?? Certainly is for me, because I need help in looking good and as I'm getting older, I don't move to fast either. :boggled: So looking good...got it covered...own a Donzi Classic. Going fast...great...once the speedo is hooked up, I'm sure it'll read at least 5mph high...so that'll make me feel even better!

So now that the boat will be 5mph faster with the new pitot installed, I better make sure the drive lasts. How about a drive shower. Done! I'll just put it on the list of things to install.

OK, so now I have a place to hold my coffee (or other assorted work enhancing beverages :wink:) while I work. New cooler installed, speed-enhancing pick up installed and drive saving shower installed. Well if I want to drive the boat flat out for hours on end now, I better make sure it stays under control.
How about new trim tabs! That'll work! Easy install. Just a couple hours in my daydream world. :cool: Tabs...check. Sitting in the box ready for install.

So now I'm set. Was able to stay "refreshed" because I didn't spill my drink, thanks to the new cupholders. Boat runs great with the new intercooler. Hitting the 90's due to the new and improved speedo pitot. I can fun flat out forever because the drive is protected by the drive shower, and the new tabs keep me running flat and stable.

Done!

Oh...wait a second...the Classic is about going fast and looking good. I've got the fast part (well I guess that depends on who you compare yourself to)...now what about the looking good part. That's certainly not going to come from looking in the mirror. I need some help.

Shiny stuff! That's always good. How about some new S/S Donzi lettering for the boat. That'll look good! Of course that will mean I'll have to remove the old Donzi decals and there will be some ghosting so I'll have to buff the hull. No biggie. Just a bit more time involved.

...But what if I'm at the dock and I have to raise the engine hatch? Better have it looking good underneath as well. A small chrome engine dress up kit will help. Sounds good. Picked up one of those as well.
But is that really enough? That's kind of normal 'bling' and nothing really different. If you want to 'bling' Donzi style, you have to let people know you have a Donzi...inside and out! A nice Donzi prop logo for inside the engine hatch will add the needed touch.

That's it!! Boat's going fast and looking good. That's what it's all about!

You know.......I have seen some pics of guys putting a mirror on the inside of their hatch. That really sets off the Donzi logo. Yeh, that's what I'll get next. Should only add an hour or two to the workload. Oh...and a new windshield. Mine's cracking. No need to buy a replacement. Others have made their own...I'm sure I could too.

I love daydreaming....I get so much accomplished. :yes:

silverghost
05-29-2011, 12:03 PM
Many of us are in the very same "Boat" as you .

Stop dreaming~
Make the Time~

Life is short~
Get out on the water~
Enjoy your Donzi.

Donziweasel
05-29-2011, 12:18 PM
You might have a list, but at least the deck is done!!! :)

Morgan's Cloud
05-29-2011, 04:42 PM
With the time it took to post that you could have gotten some serious work done on it ....

wokka wokka wokka .. :bonk: :biggrin.:

fogducker III
05-29-2011, 09:56 PM
Wow, I didn't know you were that swamped Glen.....:eek::hyper: Good tiraid though....:nilly:

Drop the boat off in my shop with all the parts and give me a couple of days and you will be boating in comfort.....:yes:

Cost= beer.....:cool:

yeller
05-30-2011, 04:18 PM
Thanks for the offer Jeremy, but with the amount of beer you drink, I can't afford you. :tongue: :wink:

I think a squeeze out a day next week, so I was hoping to come up there and knock off a few items.

yeller
05-30-2011, 04:24 PM
With the time it took to post that you could have gotten some serious work done on it ....
wokka wokka wokka .. :bonk: :biggrin.:No doubt. The thing that sucks is I can't keep the boat at my house, so if I get a free hour or two it's not enough time to drive to the boat and get anything done. Makes it impossible to "pick away" at the work load.

fogducker III
05-30-2011, 04:45 PM
Thanks for the offer Jeremy, but with the amount of beer you drink, I can' afford you. :tongue: :wink:

I think a squeeze out a day next week, so I was hoping to come up there and knock off a few items.

Gin and tonic ain't cheap.....:lookaroun:

Bring it up any time, you know where we live.....:yes:

Let me know the day before, I can pull my boat out and put it at the neighbour's for the day which will give us LOADS of room in the shop to get 'er done.....:wrench::thumbsup:

yeller
05-30-2011, 07:23 PM
I missed the 't' in can't. I "can't" afford you.

Gin and tonic....don't mind if I do. I'll bring you some water. Once you start drinking, you'll be useless to me. :biggrin:

I'll call you when I know what day I can go. Hopefully I can get an early start so we can knock a bunch of the stuff off.

Do we dare tackle the tabs next week? Once we start, the boat will be out of commission until its done.