PDA

View Full Version : 22 C 454 Internal cooling?

Lowflyn
05-25-2011, 09:19 PM
Gentlemen
U all have more experience than I - I'm in process of refreshing my 454 to 467, smaller cci head change, cam... etc...

My main concern is the RAW cooling, that I currently have and want to enclose the system - in other words - keep the fukin salt out of my new block, heads, etc ....

I'm looking for recomendations - I know this is pricie, from what I have researched so far... Yet long run... It will pay for itself... Kind of like going solar on your house...

Any ideas are all appreciated...............

mrfixxall
05-26-2011, 12:20 AM
get ahold of george carter,he has the specs you will need for the cooling system..

MOP
05-26-2011, 05:50 AM
That is the way to go, higher temps bring you tolerances into a better range your engine will live longer also keeps the internal moisture down. I run my 383 with a 180 Tstat as did Griz with his blown Criterion.

Phil

gcarter
05-26-2011, 06:05 AM
Yes, I have your answer! :)

Here's the link to what I think is the finest closed cooling system available. This one is for up to 500 HP;
http://www.perfprotech.com/store/product/High-Performance-FWC-System-Full-Flow-500HP-Capacity-HP424RH-K1,24598.aspx
Followed by another page w/a selection for even larger systems. I like the remote systems listed;
http://www.perfprotech.com/store/catalog/High-Performance-Fresh-Water-Cooling-Systems,3203.aspx
As you can see, they're available up to 1,200 HP.
Besides being remote, the system thermostat is located in the HE plumbing so that the engine has full, continuous flow of coolant through a bypass loop until the engine reaches operating temp when the T-stat opens.

Here's a picture of my installation;

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=59575&stc=1&d=1288537040

The electric circ pump is a Meziere remote pump that circulates at 55 GPM continuously.

And here's a link to the beginning of the installation;
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=50476&page=51

silverghost
05-26-2011, 11:20 AM
I boat 95% of the time in salt 'water and would not own an inboard boat engine without a freshwater cooling heat exchanger system.
On many Donzi boats an engine top & front or rear bell-housing mounted system is far easier to drain + service.
You have to be able to remove the heat exchanger's end caps to drain it each winter & also clean out it's internal tubes . You also need to be able to change-out it's protective zinc pencil anode.
There are a dozen quality heat exchanger builders out there.
Do a web search.
I have had great luck with "Monitor products"
on-engine systems.
The off-engine system George suggested is great~
As long as you don't have to stand on your head to try to service it.

gcarter
05-26-2011, 04:37 PM
Brad, my remote system happens to be a Monitor product.

Lowflyn
05-29-2011, 07:42 PM
Apprciate all the suggestions - I like George's system - not mounted on the engine. Not sure about standing on my head to service - need a little more details. But Damn - everything that I am seeing is $1100 and UP!!! I believe I can build my own system..... ONLY Kidding Guys - got talent, but not that good of a welder!!

Again Thanks for the advice - Always appreciated..

PS

Fired engine last week - heard knocking - Pulled it this weekend - When manifold came off - I thought I was looking at a gold mine.... YET...

Not gold - brass deposits in the lifter valley. Have not dropped the oil pan yet, just got it on the stand in the garage - But my suspect is bad bearings !!!

Time to treat this block to some re-work. Possibly change from 4" to 4.25 stroke with a .060 bore.... In other words - push it to almost 502ci.............

Arrrrrrggggggg - MORE HP!!

This engine has been a lemon since day one of purchase - heads are totally freshened with larger studs, new valve treatment - large push rods and guides with roller rockers - they're ready to go.
Now the short block.......and I'm in a hurry - It's already memorial weekend and I'm NOT boating.....!!!!!!!

Thank God my Harley is running great - Summer Time in S. Cal - without a toy - I'd be going out of my mind!!!

Again Thanks

gcarter
05-29-2011, 07:49 PM
Yep, the price of copper is through the roof @ well over $4,00/lb.
The price you see is more than $300.00 more than what I paid for this system about 2.5 years ago.
That sure paid off.

silverghost
05-29-2011, 08:07 PM
Sometimes you can find a steal-of-a-deal on slightly used heat exchangers on ebay.

The old damagd units can also be re-tubed for reasonable cost.

Like George I bought my "Monitor" Big Block 600 HP unit years ago for around $700. new.