PDA

View Full Version : Gel Coat Restoration Product

ssgharkness020147
05-25-2011, 03:10 AM
Hey Guys,
I don't get over here too often but like to browse some. I'm a long time Donzi admirer and looking forward to joining the ranks, just as soon as my new business picks up!

Anyways, I grew up on a lake and have wrenched on boats my whole life. Recently a friend bought a 1990 Master Craft 190 that I've been fixing up with him. We're on to the gel coat which is being sanded out before polishing. We started at 800 and worked up to 1500 grit. After hitting 1500 grit I went back to polish the boat out, but had a hell of a time getting all the final sand scratches out. I've got all bells and whistles as far as tools and compounds go, but this old 190 threw me for a loop; despite having sanded down a number of boats in the past.

Tonight while roaming around the parts store I found the Trizact sanding pads from 3M. I purchased their 3000 grit series pads and stuck them on my Porter Cable DA, ran them over the boat, and could not believe the results they produced. All the sand scratches were gone, it left the bow's gel dead flat (no surprise after all the hand sanding), and had begun polishing the gel out again. I'll be giving the rest of the boat a light going over with the 3000 pad, when done this 21 year old boat should look better than new.

They also make the pads in 800, 1000, 1500 grit as well for scratch removal. Anyone that has sanded an entire boat down before knows its a lengthy process, the 3000 Trizact pad really does help produce true professional results in record time. When I'm done I'll put the boat in the sun, and shoot some pics with my DSLR for you guys.

joseph m. hahnl
05-25-2011, 04:05 PM
When I'm done I'll put the boat in the sun, and shoot some pics with my DSLR for you guys.

Don't forget to, wax / polymer it , with UV protection.

I sanded the transom of the Minx with 400 then 600 by hand. and put on :spit:Attwood Gel coat rejuvenater.
No words can explain how great it worked.:fam:

Tony
05-25-2011, 08:36 PM
About how long did the pad last?

When I wet-sanded my 22 several years ago I was tossing a pad away about every 1-1/2 square feet!

:beer: