PDA

View Full Version : 22ZX GPS antenna placement

Donzi LG
05-23-2011, 12:41 PM
Hey everyone, I'm finally looking to permanently mount my Livorsi GPS speedometer antenna in my 22ZX; I just received the battery-less replacement antenna so hopefully there won't be anymore problems with it. I'm trying to find a suitable location in the cockpit to mount it but the only flat surfaces are around the cupholders on the cockpit sidewalls. I wonder if that might be a good spot for signal reception. Looking for some suggestions if anyone has one in their 22ZX. I had previously just had it stashed behind the dash panel unmounted but I want to properly locate it now. Thanks!

John

zelatore
05-23-2011, 12:49 PM
I can't speak for your boat specifically, but typically GPS antennas aren't super-sensitive to location. You can even mount it under the helm as the signals will penetrate fiberglass.

The manufacturers will tell you to mount them as high as you can with a clear view of the sky, but having installed maybe 100 GPS's over the years I've found you can get away with quite a bit with them. Generally speaking, so long as it's not blocked by something metal or near anything that might give off RFI you'll do fine.

If you want to test it, just temporarily tape or zip-tie it in place and go out for a day to see if it works.

Pismo
05-23-2011, 03:07 PM
I agree, I mounted my Sat radio antenna under the front deck, out of sight and out of the weather and it works fine. Worth a try with a GPS as well.

CHACHI
05-23-2011, 06:17 PM
My GPS antenna is also mounted under the front deck, no issues.

Ken

MOP
05-23-2011, 06:57 PM
Mine is attached to the passenger foot well top and has done its job for fives now.

The Hedgehog
05-23-2011, 07:47 PM
Mine sits on the dash. It does not seem to do any better than the rest.

Donzi LG
05-24-2011, 06:09 PM
Thanks guys, I'm going to try the behind the dash approach first and see how that goes.