PDA

View Full Version : Help with carburetor "slide" on Volvo Penta

Conquistador_del_mar
05-23-2011, 12:16 PM
I need to make or buy a mechanism to allow the single handle throttle on my 1971 Donzi 18' with the Volvo drive to shift into gear before the throttle raises the RPMs. Can anyone show a mechanism that will allow the throttle cable to start moving the actual carberetor linkage after the shifter has engaged the drive? It looks like it needs to give at least about 1/2" before activating the carburetor linkage - correct? Bill

MOP
05-23-2011, 07:18 PM
If you have the slide block both nuts should be on the tip! They pickup the throttle after the drive engages, this allows for silky smooth drive engagement. All you are setting with the throttle cable is full throttle, the cable should never be locked to the cable!

Phil

jstokes8407
05-23-2011, 07:31 PM
I put a nice Livousi single lever in my buddies 69 18c with a volvo 280 oudrive. almost all shift levers go into gear before they move the carb linkage

Conquistador_del_mar
05-23-2011, 09:19 PM
If you have the slide block both nuts should be on the tip! They pickup the throttle after the drive engages, this allows for silky smooth drive engagement. All you are setting with the throttle cable is full throttle, the cable should never be locked to the cable!

Phil

Right now, I don't have any play. Could I drill out the connector for the cable and let the threaded cable slip until it hits the nuts at the end of the cable? Is this what you mean? Bill

I put a nice Livousi single lever in my buddies 69 18c with a volvo 280 oudrive. almost all shift levers go into gear before they move the carb linkage

In my case, it is just engaging the drive when the RPMs are going up. I want it to go totally in gear before starting to engage the throttle. Mine is the original Morse throttle where both cables are moving at the same time when not in the neutral detent.

mrfixxall
05-23-2011, 09:33 PM
Right now, I don't have any play. Could I drill out the connector for the cable and let the threaded cable slip until it hits the nuts at the end of the cable? Is this what you mean? Bill

In my case, it is just engaging the drive when the RPMs are going up. I want it to go totally in gear before starting to engage the throttle. Mine is the original Morse throttle where both cables are moving at the same time when not in the neutral detent.

yes bill that is correct,drill out the center of the tab that attaches to the carberator..(if its a pull throttle) i will use 2 nuts at the bottom of the threads and 2 nuts at the vary tip..the nuts on mine are vary thin brass 5/16 x 10/32 nuts..10/32 ?? threads.

you want about 1/4'' gap between the throttle and the nuts..

MOP
05-24-2011, 12:43 AM
They way I was taught in tech school was to tie the throttle lever back into the full throttle position then run the nuts up to the block and lock them. You want to avoid unnecessary tension on the throttle arm, that will cause wear and make it tough to adjust idle mixture. There is no given gap as all controls throw a tad different, most I have done were closer to 1/2" if done properly!

New2Donzi
05-24-2011, 08:03 AM
Here a great thread that mop posted several years ago that offers several options....Ed
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=58594&highlight=volvo+carb

Conquistador_del_mar
05-24-2011, 12:03 PM
Thanks for all the replies and help - :yes:. I couldn't remember how it was done until now. Bill

Conquistador_del_mar
05-29-2011, 12:40 PM
As a followup to this thread: The carburetor linkage in my boat is a quick connect type at the carburetor, which I like, so I decided to do the modification at the throttle which has the barrel connectors on the back side. I drilled out the barrel connector where it used to thread on the cable and installed some nuts which I locked together. The carburetor linkage does not move until the throttle handle is now moved well into gear first. I also installed a carburetor return spring as a safety measure. Thanks for the help/advice. Bill

MOP
05-29-2011, 06:01 PM
Bravo that is using your noggin!!!

Conquistador_del_mar
05-29-2011, 06:15 PM
Bravo that is using your noggin!!!

Thanks. I don't get that credit too much anymore - lol. Bill