PDA

View Full Version : Why Team Jefe missed AOTH

Team Jefe
05-23-2011, 12:10 PM
There are not to many reasons why I would miss an Awakening, its one of the best rallys of the year and I really enjoy the events and people in Jamestown.

One of those reasons happened last week.....My mom died from a heart attack, she was 64, taken way too early.

I felt like I needed to speak at her funeral....and after doing so, I feel like I need to let more people know just how incredible a woman she was. It a little odd, I know, but below is the Eulogy I gave at her Memorial service.

Good afternoon. For myself and the family, I’d like to thank you all for being here to honor Diana.

I felt compelled in many ways to speak here today, and Dad, Matt and Jennifer asked me to speak for them as well

As I have reflected on, and discussed Mom’s life over the last several days a couple words keep coming to the forefront: Faith and Service

I know Linda is going to address mom’s faith, so I want to speak to you a bit about her service.

Mom’s entire adult life was spent in service of others….lots of times to her own detriment….I can not remember a single time where she put herself before anyone else….FOR SURE it never happened when it came to the four of us.

She was nurse, maid, chauffeur, cook and head bottle washer

She changed our diapers and bought our clothes

She coached us, was our team mate, and our biggest fan!

She was the shoulder we cried on, and the bright smile with whom we shared the good times.

She was tutor, study partner, editor, contributor, and scribe….and not just the 3 of us, but for many of you as well.

She was a lover, a companion, a best friend…and a partner in crime

She was there every minute of every day, every time we needed her:
Ball games and Boy Scouts, Hospitals and Surgeries, The first days of School and the Graduations, The Going off to war….and coming home again

Whatever we needed, she made it happen

She also served her community as an elementary school teacher, and in Alvin even serving the other teachers as a substitute who actually moved the lessons along, not just keeping the natives calm for the day, or week, or semester.

Then in her later career doing market research…serving other companies in helping them determine which products to bring to market.

Her service to this church is well known in this room. She was a faithful member here for well over 30 years. Always being there, never in the limelight, but quietly going about being a good Christian.

She would always bring prayer request to me. “Jeff, Mrs. So and So’s… Niece’s… husband is having Gall Bladder surgery; we need to keep them in our prayers”

As a young man, I always thought, that’s nice mom, but what does this have to do me…..As I got older I understood more, but still I don’t think I really got it until the last few weeks. All of the well wishes, good thoughts and prayers we have gotten during the process have been overwhelming.

And I realized those requests didn’t have anything to do with me…or her. She was simply praying to serve others…something that was so fundamentally basic to her soul; she couldn’t conceive anyone not wanting to do the same thing.

David Reid and Diana Eaker met when they were 6 and 4 years old and their families moved in next to each other. Since her mom was a teacher, Diana started school early so they were both in the same grade.

A few years later, in the 2nd grade, Jackie Corn was pushing Diana on a swing, and she inadvertently kicked him. Well he pulled her off the swing and slapped her. Young David was having none of that, walked over punched Jackie in the face, took Diana’s hand and said “from now on you’re going to be with me”……and she was.

Dad and I were talking a few days ago, and in the last 60 years, he and mom have spent something less than 3 years apart. 1 of those was high school, when dad’s family moved, the Year plus, dad was in Vietnam and after that a week here, and month there. These were not two people who were in each others lives….These are two people who shared the same life, their whole life.

And now dad will have to continue that journey alone. He won’t truly be alone because mom will be with him always….as will God. I’ll be there, Matt and Jennifer will be there, many of y’all will be there……but it’s not the same.

So I ask all you, as a personal favor to me, that you focus your prayers in this matter on dad. Us kids, we expect to loose our parents one day…this was too soon for us, but still something we knew we would have to face. So don’t worry about us.

Really, don’t WORRY about dad….pray for him, but he’s a tough old cob…..not as tough as he wants everyone to believe…..but he’s tough enough, he’s strong enough to weather this storm.

Dad, always called mom “Steady”….meaning it in a way common to the early part of the 20th century as in Loyal, Always there, Ever-ready and Vigilant, but being so in a calm and unassuming manner.

I’d describe both of my parents as “Steady”….with dad being maybe a bit less calm and unassuming.

Matt tends to be more stoic that Jenn and me. Still, I know my brother, mom’s was the hand who held his through some very tough times lately, and that means the world to him.

When one faces ones own mortality, there is no better person to be there than your mom. I know that feeling too little brother. We’ve both gone eye to eye with the Reaper, and I always tell people the Reaper blinked…..But, we know that’s not true.

It was mom, praying, asking y’all to pray and calling in markers …begging God to take the pain from us and give it to her.

It was mom, who pointed at the Reaper and said you get out of here and leave my child alone.

It was mom who ate the green beans and orange jello because we didn’t want it…and because she would not leave to eat a meal herself.

Matt’s relationship with mom was quieter, more subdued, but none-the-less real, loving and solid.

We all say that we would do anything for our moms, and I believe that is true…..but I’ve always had the feeling that Matt would do even more….he wouldn’t talk about it, he wouldn’t advertise it, he’d just do it.

Jennifer’s relationship with mom was on the opposite end of the spectrum.

More that Mother and Daughter….they were pals, cohorts, BFF’s

They’ve driven across country together….braved New Jersey…and NEW YORK CITY together…..Had fun in the Florida sun and the Cloudy skies of England together.

They Crossed the “CHUNNEL” and visited the Eiffel tower together……I’ve been there….Dad has too, but only Jenn has gotten to have that experience with mom.

They have shared being educators, and Jennifer is taking on mom’s legacy to serve the State of Texas

Of the three of us, Jenn is going to feel the finality of mom’s passing the most.

But Also, Jennifer will have the best memories of mom, because they are not just of mom….they are also of her friend Diana.

As for me… I think my relationship with mom comes down to Worry. I’ve always lived my life pretty loose and fast, which constantly made her worry.

The relationship ups and downs, the trips to far away lands, the chopper rides offshore…. The countless times I took a small piece of fiberglass flitting all over the Gulf Of Mexico,
Pancreatitus and Kidney Stones, Broken Bones and Bloody noses….. the list goes on and on.

All the time I’d tell her “mom don’t worry about me, I’ll be OK”…..she’d say “its my job to worry honey”…..I’d bet that a lot of the prayer requests she had were for something about me.

I’ve always felt bad about making her worry, but she knew I had to be me, I have to make my way in this world a little different than most….and she supported me without reserve, even though many times I know she didn’t fully understand why I do the things I do.

Even not understanding, she was never critical, not full of advise or things I “need” to do, just there in whatever way I needed her to be…Steady.

Mom, for all the times I’ve made you worry, I’m sorry. I love you with all of my heart, but you still deserved better from me……so, please rest, read a good book, visit with Grandma and Grandpa, enjoy this time…we’ll all be along soon enough… You don’t have to worry about me, I’ll be OK…

Of course she won’t listen….I can see it now, through the Pearly Gates…”hey Pete, how ya doin” “Mom, Dad…great to see you…hold that thought, first I need to check on David and the Kids”

Service to Others…It’s the only way she knows how to be. I can see that by looking out into the room.

Her influence permeates this place today; most of you are here today to honor her memory.

But some of you never even met her…...you’re here to support me, or Dad, or Matt or Jennifer. You’re here because of the people we are…and the people we are… is very much because to her.

As she would say…Relax, God’s In charge… we mourn the loss, because we are selfish, when in reality we should be celebrating…she’s now in paradise, but I don’t want to step over Linda’s area. So I’ll leave the rest to her.

Once again, thank you all for being here today to honor mom.

Fishermanjm
05-23-2011, 12:24 PM
really sorry for your loss capt. mom's are really somethin else, my mom passed away two years ago now, not one day passes by without a reminder of her,,, miss u mom sorry agin for your loss

Bad-Tat
05-23-2011, 12:39 PM
Very sorry to hear that Jefe. Mom's are truly special to us all. I know what you're feeling as I lost mine in 07. The pain will lessen slowly, but daily thoughts will always be with you.

pipnit
05-23-2011, 12:40 PM
Sorry for your loss. I haven't had many family members pass away but those that have I think about every day I'm on this planet.

Hang in there

Geoff

Ghost
05-23-2011, 01:56 PM
Very sorry for your loss. -Mike & Lisa

Z-Man
05-23-2011, 02:05 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss. My prayers go out to you, your family and friends.

I hope to see you soon brother.
Dre

gcarter
05-23-2011, 02:09 PM
Jeff, being the last of my family alive, I understand.
Stand strong and support your dad and your sister.

tmh
05-23-2011, 02:17 PM
My condolences to you and your family.
T.M. Hayes

Sweet Cheekz
05-23-2011, 05:14 PM
RIP
She sounded special

Parnell

LITTLE MAX
05-23-2011, 05:29 PM
Jefe
I know the feeling so well my mom pass a way 10 months ago
Sorry for your lost

mrfixxall
05-23-2011, 05:36 PM
So sorry for your loss, I to lost my mom at a vary early age..65, she was taken in her sleep 10 years ago this November..not a day goes by not thinking about her,moms are the best! :)..hang in their brother,she is watching over you and from time to time she will let you know she is there..
RIP..

Donziweasel
05-23-2011, 07:28 PM
I looked for ya Amigo. Like we discussed, first round was supposed to be on me. You were missed. I am very sorry for your loss. You are in me and Boo Boo's prayers. Think about Chattanooga, first AND second round is on me.

Offset
05-23-2011, 07:35 PM
My thoughts are with you. Sorry for your loss.

Buddyc
05-23-2011, 07:40 PM
So sorry for your loss. I just lost my father a few months ago, and I miss him everyday. Again so sorry and stay as strong as you can...

Tony
05-23-2011, 09:19 PM
Thoughts and prayers to you and your family.
I spoke at my mom's service, and it was both difficult and an honor.

Thanks for sharing the text. It was well-written and, knowing you even a little bit, probably delivered with emotion and passion.

RickSE
05-24-2011, 09:58 AM
Jeff, sorry to hear about your loss. As you may remember we had my Mom with us at PK several years ago. She was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease just before the trip. Ever since then we've been loosing her, day by day, hour by hour as the disease slowly takes her away. This is one of the hardest things I've ever had to deal with in my life, so I certainly feel your pain. Your Mom will always be with you. Take Care. :angel:

Rick

hot shot
05-24-2011, 12:05 PM
Jefe, I'm sorry for your loss, These are some hard times... stay strong and be there for your family... You were missed at aoth Mick

yeller
05-24-2011, 02:39 PM
Very sorry to hear about your mother.
I know it must be tough, (I dread that coming day), but always remember your own words, "…she’s now in paradise".

Rick is right. "Your Mom will always be with you".

Team Jefe
05-24-2011, 04:57 PM
Guys...thank you so much...it really means alot to have so many kind thoughts!!!!

oh, and Mick... I coming after my Custom Choice crown again next year:kingme:

Walt. H.
05-24-2011, 10:56 PM
Please accept my condolences for your loss and like George mentioned, be there for your dad & sister and make sure to keep him busy and still needed to continue on in the months to follow.

tylogans 22
05-25-2011, 09:38 AM
Capt,
We never met however I know what your going thru my father passed three year's ago suddenly fell on the ice hit his head. Hardest thing I ever did was write his uelogy and give it. Your mom sounded like a wonderful mother I know that you miss her everyday and you will. Don't be surprised someday when you least expect it that you will feel her presence around you. Next year I look forward to meeting you at my second AOTH.

take care and with time the pain you feel will lessen but your memories will last a lifetime.

Gregg
Waterford, Michigan
22 Yellow Devil

hot shot
05-26-2011, 07:26 PM
jefe: The only reason I won is cuz you weren't there... but hang on I'm gunnin for ya next year... I might just put some custon speaker grills on or maybe even a custon steering wheel :-). Hang in there and don't forget you have all of your donzi brothers and sisters here for support.

Craig S
05-27-2011, 11:13 AM
I'm sorry for you guys.
Craig