PDA

View Full Version : Volvo AQ 200 Right Hand Prop

acook
05-18-2011, 01:06 PM
Does anyone know where I could get a right hand rotation prop for a Volvo AQ 200 outdrive. I am looking to reverse the drive on a 67 Skisporter to reduce the torque steer when the boat is throttled up.

Any help locating one would be much appriciated.

Thanks

Sweet little 16
05-18-2011, 01:35 PM
what props have you tried??? the aq200 should take any AQ prop even a long hub with some minor mods. The aq200 does have some issues with larger diameter props. Not sure a right handed prop will help torque steer but the"right" prop will.

some tips to help torque steer

remove as much play in the steering connections, the helm ,cable,helmet and tiller.

invest in a torque trim tab(fin).

have you tried an ultra yet?? or a solas??

acook
05-18-2011, 02:48 PM
Thanks for the feedback. To date the only prop I have used is the prop that came with the boat. I know it's a 14" LH aluminum prop but I don't know the pitch. I was told (perhaps incorrectly) that reversing the drive would help with the torque steer. Do you know what the standard prop pitch was on the 67's?

Sweet little 16
05-18-2011, 03:06 PM
Remember they were setup with to deal with prop torque from the factory lh prop lh helm ( skisporter) rh prop rh helm (16 baby). all the lh helm classics that run rh props That I've seen need some tab to compensate.

you'll need to find some lh props like a volvo ultra or solas, also you need to address any slack in the drive and steering . If there is any play where you can move the drive with out moving the cable and wheel any prop will cause torque steer. so a rh prop is just going to move the torque to the other side.
The classics are very prop sensitive and correct propping can usually tame torque steer and porpoising.
If you are near an event or you can reach out to a member near you that has a setup like yours maybe you can try some different props.

what motor does your 67 have?? does it have a torque trim fin on the lower unit??

acook
05-18-2011, 09:49 PM
Thanks again for the additional feedback. The motor is a 289 ford V8 but not the original motor. Therefore, i'm not sure if the motor rotation is LH or RH. So I'm not sure it currently matches the outdrive set up. Forgive my ignorance but would the prop rotation be setup to rotate in the same direction as the engine or opposite?
It wouldn't surprise me if the there was a little play in the steering setup. Regarding the trim fin, I'm not certain but I think the trim fin on the AQ 200 is also an exhaust port in addition to the through hull exhaust. So perhaps that can be adjusted to help compensate as well.
i bought the boat last spring but I didn't run it much because the engine was pretty spent. The motor was rebuilt last winter and the boat is currently at Lake George. Perhaps I can hook up with one of the members up there.
Thanks again,
Andy

Sweet little 16
05-19-2011, 06:27 AM
most old ford volvo combos in a single I/O setup were standard automobile rotation. The drive is what controls prop rotation. The volvo was easy to change direction by moving the shift linkage. Your in a pretty good location( if the boat is in Lake George NY) the Lake George Donzi club is up there and they have quite a few members running older volvo setups . They have an event in June and it would be a great time to reachout to them and maybe get some tips and some props to try. Check under the donzi club link on the left side of the front page of this site for their info.

jl1962
05-19-2011, 07:52 AM
2011 Lake George Dust-Off Info
http://www.lgdonziclassic.com/invite.html

Kirbyvv
05-19-2011, 08:27 AM
acook, I'm on Lake George and have a few LH volvo props you could try. Where on LG do you keep your Donzi?
Come to the lake George Dust-Off and meet a bunch of Donzi folk.

bzsmarina
05-31-2011, 03:51 PM
i have a custom made spinelli stainless rt hand 14 1/4 by 21 for volvo aq drives. if you would like to try it. i payed spinelli 1000.00 to make it. now i repowerd and i do not need it. i will sell it for 350.00 plus the ride. let me know if you want to try it. it never hit anything. i can send/post pictures if you like.

silverghost
05-31-2011, 04:17 PM
Talk with Scott Pearson or Matty at the local Donzi club near your boating area.

bzsmarina
05-31-2011, 04:40 PM
here are a few pictures. and its a 14 1/2 by 21.

staarrl
06-01-2011, 05:51 AM
Another thing to try only if you have thru hull exhaust is to take a Mercury extended torque tab and bolt it on the original exhaust outlet behind the prop. Did that on a 69 Classic 18 and with some adjusting, bye bye torque! They are cheap and easy to install.
Bob

JimG
06-01-2011, 06:05 AM
I killed the torque steer on my boat with an Ultra. My boat torqued so bad, it was almost undriveable. My aluminum prop with no cup was even worse! Put the Ultra on, and it's almost hands off stable...

I've heard the Solas are just as good...

Sweet little 16
06-01-2011, 07:51 AM
I killed the torque steer on my boat with an Ultra. My boat torqued so bad, it was almost undriveable. My aluminum prop with no cup was even worse! Put the Ultra on, and it's almost hands off stable...
I've heard the Solas are just as good...

:yes: torque steer is more about the prop's design than what way it spins. little things like play in the steering can also lend to the problem. same boat same setup one prop pulls hard needing almost 2 hands on the wheel and one prop can almost be hands free.