PDA

View Full Version : Newbie possibly interested in a Sweet 16

John Bee
05-17-2011, 11:28 PM
HI,
I tried looking for this information on the site before posting this question, but couldn't find it, possibly because I am not very good at looking. I have been watching the classified section for Sweet 16s and have seen several that were of interest. I called on two, but they were sold. I would like to know if the 16 came with a V8 Mercruiser and thru prop exhaust, and what my chances are of finding a very clean one if they did. I am possibly interested in replacing my current runabout. I like the styling and the size is perfect. I am on a chain in northern Wisconsin where it is nice and quiet, and I really don't want the racket of a thru hull exhaust system, neither do my neighbors. I am considering building another project boat, but a clean Donzi 16 may just be a good fit.
I am sorry if I am asking a question that has been asked and answered many times.
Thanx,
John.

silverghost
05-18-2011, 12:56 AM
If you want a late-model Donzi~
Have you ever considered a late model Donzi 18 "classic" ?
It's only two foot longer than the sweet 16, basically the same boat design only slightly longer, but your choice of a V-8 Mercruser might be easier to find here.
Many newer model " sweet 16s" are only V-6 powered.
Many late model Donzi 16s & 18s have a silent choice style exhaust system where you can direct the exhaust through your prop under water via a "Y" pipe for quiet running, or out the upper transom outlets with the flip of a control swtch.

The Donzi 16 guys here are going to shoot me~~~
But in my opinion the Donzi "classic 18" is a better boat for your boating area & needs.
I know your general area well.
The 18 will handle rougher water a bit better, and to my opinion is a much better riding boat, will plane better, & is a faster boat in spite of it's slightly longer length.
Look at a Donzi 16 & 18 side-by-side & choose the one you like best .
They are almot the same boat. The LATER model 18s should give you all the options you are seeking. Modern Mercruiser V-8 power with a switchable under-water through prop exhaust option.

OK Donzi "Sweet 16" guys~
Tell us why my oinion is wrong here ?

Sweet little 16
05-18-2011, 06:12 AM
what will the boat be used for?

the sweet 16 is a better water sports boat than a 16 classic or 18 with the lounge seating and with the built in hook will plane faster than an 18. The sweet 16 is also better if you plan on relaxing on the boat with another person.

you'll find more v6 donzi with no thru hulls and even some omc v8 with out thru hulls. the high hp v6 will perform very closly to the low hp 5.0 so a v8 is not always needed.
after 95 with the 2 bucket front seat layout 16, AMH put more 5.7 motors in the 16 .

there are some other things you'll find too most newer 18s will have a windshield most 16s will not but there are a few exceptions. Not sure what style you like. gas prices too do you want to feed a v8

if you want bigger water handling and faster speeds yes than the 18 might be for you. you have to answer how it will be used and what you really want.

Very good silver i think you are finally getting the whole discussion board thing . where you back up your point with supporting facts :)

John Bee
05-18-2011, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the help.16' is the size I like. It fits my shore station and would tow easily. I come from Great Lakes boating, i1t is never rough on this 4300 acre chain. The interior of the 16 really caught my eye. It looks perfect for water sports or just slow cruising with friends, and I like the no windshield look. A V8 may not be necessary, it's just that I have experience with the sbc and they are very reliable. Does a V6 4.3 perform really well in it? My friend has that set up in an 18' open bow and It's ok, but no thrill machine. Maybe in the Sweet 16 it is. This would just be a toy for me and my daughters to replace a 1964 runabout. I have other boats and a pontoon for big get togethers, but life gets dull without a little adrenaline rush. the Donzis really look beautiful. I hope they are built as well as their appearance suggests.
There was a 95 16 on the classified page in TX with the V6 and I called on it, but it is apparently sold.

John Bee
05-18-2011, 09:21 AM
Thanks for the help.16' is the size I like. It fits my shore station and would tow easily. I come from Great Lakes boating, i1t is never rough on this 4300 acre chain. The interior of the 16 really caught my eye. It looks perfect for water sports or just slow cruising with friends, and I like the no windshield look. A V8 may not be necessary, it's just that I have experience with the sbc and they are very reliable. Does a V6 4.3 perform really well in it? My friend has that set up in an 18' open bow and It's ok, but no thrill machine. Maybe in the Sweet 16 it is. This would just be a toy for me and my daughters to replace a 1964 runabout. I have other boats and a pontoon for big get togethers, but life gets dull without a little adrenaline rush. the Donzis really look beautiful. I hope they are built as well as their appearance suggests.
There was a 95 16 on the classified page in TX with the V6 and I called on it, but it is apparently sold.

Sweet little 16
05-18-2011, 09:58 AM

the high hp v6 is 210 -220 hp and with the weight savings(over a v8) mated to an alpha will be a low 50 mph to mid 50 mph boat depending on setup. It will be agile very responsive and a blast to drive.

Again depending on setup I think there was a 220 version v6 that was the base hp for the 5.0 v8 the 5.7 was 260. the v6 will have more civil manners( not to say the v8 has bad manners but will be faster and at speed little things get amplified and things happen faster)

these boats take seat time, they have some quirks from their deep vee, but once you get use to them they are capable and fun. If your looking for cruising with people find a boat with trim tabs this will make it easier. They are like race horses they love to gallop but need to be coached to slow trot.

good luck in your search.

HIGH LIFE
05-19-2011, 09:34 PM
John Bee, Ihave a 16' outboard '76 w/200 Mariner... if you want quite !!! "HIGH LIFE"