PDA

View Full Version : AOTH Eve...

roadtrip se
05-17-2011, 08:48 PM
Scott Boldt, the guy who pushed for the original AOTH runs, used to write a quick post on what I like to call “AOTH Eve”, or the night before everyone started to travel to Kentucky.

So here we are. The day or so before the eleventh run of the Awakening of the Horses. People are loading up their boats, their weekend “perishables”, and getting ready for an awesome time on the water and the docks with great friends made over years of attending this rally in the Spring.

Last fall, we lost a great one. Big Grizzly. I have spent some time over the months since his passing wondering what would Grizzly do? Well, I know. He would say just go do it again and have a ball doing it. If you are looking behind you, then you aren’t going fast enough! And so, we will.

So be safe on the road. Check those tires, slow down, and get here in one piece. And get ready for one heck of a great time. The water awaits.

Donzi Vol
05-17-2011, 08:52 PM
There's a little black boat hooked up to the Pathfinder outside right now. 2nd day of prep coming up tomorrow :)

fogducker III
05-17-2011, 09:04 PM
Have fun boys and girls, be safe and savour the moment....:wink:

Buddyc
05-17-2011, 09:14 PM
Have a great time everyone! Im jealous and hope to be there next year and hang out with you all. Be well and be safe... Cant wait to see some pictures
RIP Big Grizzly... Im sure there will be a few toasts in your honor.

Sweet Cheekz
05-17-2011, 09:37 PM
GT waxed and ready Cant wait

Parnell

zelatore
05-17-2011, 09:43 PM
No road trip for me, just a 40 minute drive to the Sacramento airport about 5:00 AM Thursday morning, a few hours on a plane, then a few hours in the back of Mike's truck up to the lake.

I'll likely miss the dinner, but should be just in time for after dinner refreshments. Too bad I can't bring a cooler of beer as a carry-on. TSA might not like that.

fogducker III
05-17-2011, 10:08 PM
No road trip for me, just a 40 minute drive to the Sacramento airport about 5:00 AM Thursday morning, a few hours on a plane, then a few hours in the back of Mike's truck up to the lake.

I'll likely miss the dinner, but should be just in time for after dinner refreshments. Too bad I can't bring a cooler of beer as a carry-on. TSA might not like that.

SOB...............:wink::yes:

Z-Man
05-17-2011, 10:08 PM
Hooked up and rolling in the morning. Unfortunately, I've got to make a couple of work stops. I look forward to seeing everyone late on Thursday. Wishing everyone safe travels and I'm ready for another great AOTH!

Phil S
05-17-2011, 10:10 PM
Hey RT....What time does the auction start Saturday eve ?

Phil S.

sweet 16 1966
05-17-2011, 10:15 PM
Just completed the impeller replacement. Good thing i'm handy. only took me 6 months to complete. Put in at ramp Sun and it had power but starter did not turn over. Pulled it out- back home to check out. Got it turng over - back to ramp. Cranked it on trailer- ran it to be sure it was pumping water -did not want to risk trial on the water hose. Leaking blue drain plug on manifold broke off when I tightened it. Monday- found a dealer who stocked and made a lunch run from work. Trial #2 Monday after work so back to ramp. Ran fine on trailer so got it up to temp before parking boat at dock and pulled trailer to parking lot. Wind was 30 mph with 2-3' whitecaps - good conditions for me. 9 miles later - no visible problems!! I'm pulling my boat to Jamestown! It was close, the boat is dirty so after work Wed, I'll pack and hose it off. No time for a good wax job but for a 23 year old boat,
its all good.

Sheila and I will be traveling Thurs am Taking I-24 from Chatt past Murphesboro-heading north to drop off a passenger in Scottsville Ky then west to Jamestown. We hope to arrive in time for dinner!!

Looking forward to seeing all! Hope everyone arrives safely! I remember last year- some had multiple issues but its a journey that pulls us together. Nobody said it was supposed to be easy...

osur866
05-17-2011, 10:18 PM
Just checked in, 27 steps to docks and from what I can see looks clear, hoping to get on water tomorrow :) see ya when you all arrive.
Steve

zelatore
05-17-2011, 10:29 PM
SOB...............:wink::yes:

Hey, I know for a fact they have an airplane in Canada.

Whether they let it fly east of Calgary, I can't say. :wink:

ITTLFLI
05-18-2011, 07:54 AM
Just completed the impeller replacement. Good thing i'm handy. only took me 6 months to complete. Put in at ramp Sun and it had power but starter did not turn over. Pulled it out- back home to check out. Got it turng over - back to ramp. Cranked it on trailer- ran it to be sure it was pumping water -did not want to risk trial on the water hose. Leaking blue drain plug on manifold broke off when I tightened it. Monday- found a dealer who stocked and made a lunch run from work. Trial #2 Monday after work so back to ramp. Ran fine on trailer so got it up to temp before parking boat at dock and pulled trailer to parking lot. Wind was 30 mph with 2-3' whitecaps - good conditions for me. 9 miles later - no visible problems!! I'm pulling my boat to Jamestown! It was close, the boat is dirty so after work Wed, I'll pack and hose it off. No time for a good wax job but for a 23 year old boat,
its all good.
Sheila and I will be traveling Thurs am Taking I-24 from Chatt past Murphesboro-heading north to drop off a passenger in Scottsville Ky then west to Jamestown. We hope to arrive in time for dinner!!
Looking forward to seeing all! Hope everyone arrives safely! I remember last year- some had multiple issues but its a journey that pulls us together. Nobody said it was supposed to be easy...

Good story!! Yep....In TRUE "Awakening of the Horses" fashion!

ITTLFLI
05-18-2011, 07:58 AM
It has rained ever since I returned from Florida!!:nilly:

Still no wash, no wax! But engine is ANGRY and READY TO RIP!!! :shocking:

My brother did all the trailer maintenance while I was out of town so we will get their in one piece!:pimp:

We should roll in before noon Thursday!

jl1962
05-18-2011, 07:59 AM
Y'all have fun.

And please post pictures for us bench racers still at home!

Fishermanjm
05-18-2011, 08:00 AM
U guys be safe,,, maybe next year this newbee will make it down there

tylogans 22
05-18-2011, 08:36 AM
Newbies from Waterford (Gregg, Tyler and Logan and our good friend Jim) will be making our first AOTH will be arriving late Thursday PM. As soon as we arrive we will be heading down to the dock's. "Yellow Devil" is ready hopefully her crew is ready as well? Hope everyone has a safe trip to and from the awakening.

Be safe,
Gregg and crew

roadtrip se
05-18-2011, 09:20 AM
Hey RT....What time does the auction start Saturday eve ?
Phil S.

Usually about 8:30 central time. What do you have in mind, some proxy bidding?

RedDog
05-18-2011, 01:07 PM
Just got Genuine Trouble out of the shop. Required a new recirc water pump to replace a leaky one. I'll wash her off in the morning but not much time for a real cleaning.

I could have sworn I had leakage thru the transom somewhere but the mechanic couldn't find it. Guess I'll find out at the Jamestown dock...

I have only had 2 short runs in her this year - hope that was enough to sort out any issues.

Leaving around noon on Thursday - about a 3 hour drive

fogducker III
05-18-2011, 01:50 PM
Just got Genuine Trouble out of the shop. Required a new recirc water pump to replace a leaky one. I'll wash her off in the morning but not much time for a real cleaning.

I could have sworn I had leakage thru the transom somewhere but the mechanic couldn't find it. Guess I'll find out at the Jamestown dock...

I have only had 2 short runs in her this year - hope that was enough to sort out any issues.

Leaving around noon on Thursday - about a 3 hour drive

Maybe the "leakage" you thought was transom related was the water pump...? Just a thought. Have a great time at AOTH.....:wink:

Team Jefe
05-19-2011, 01:59 PM
Well folks, I too wish I was going, and really wish I didn't have the reason I do for Not being there....still Mom's passing trumps everything, so y'all will have to muster on without Team Jefe.

Hey 'Trip, I still get my goodie bag though right?:lookaroun:

AND, I may be a call in bidder at the Auction.....so you'd better stop by the ATM on the way into town:kingme:

glashole
05-19-2011, 02:21 PM
are you going to post pics of the auction items for people who may want to bid over the phone

boldts
05-19-2011, 04:26 PM
Wow.....we've come so far in the 11 years of AOTH. Now you all want to have Internet and phone bidding. LOL

Kinda mixed emotions on that one as many of the auction items are secret and special for the owners attending. Just glad and maybe you all are too that I'm no longer the club's president. :wink:

Tripper, I couldn't resist in doing a Twas the Night Before AOTH XI post here on the Registry. I placed it in the Events section though is all. You did a great job with your version. As most of you know, I write books when I tell a story. LOL

Wishing everyone in attendance this year a wonderful weekend filled with fun. Be safe and use common sense. Take your time getting there because as Todd said, everyone wants you to arrive safely.

Looking forward myself to seeing pictures. I know like always, that rain picture were seeing on the cam will not be the actual picture.