PDA

View Full Version : Classic 18 OMC Engine/

hcastellon
05-17-2011, 02:25 PM
I recently purchased a Classic 18 w/ Ford 351 OMC. She wasn't performing right, only getting up to about 35-40 mph GPS. I had a mechanic take a look at the engine and he told me that cylinder 7 and 8 werent firing due to low compression. He believes I should get new heads and manifolds/risers (rusty). Where is the best/cheapest place to get them online and are there any that I could get that would last longer and/or perform better?

Thanks for all the help in advance!

mrfixxall
05-17-2011, 02:50 PM
I recently purchased a Classic 18 w/ Ford 351 OMC. She wasn't performing right, only getting up to about 35-40 mph GPS. I had a mechanic take a look at the engine and he told me that cylinder 7 and 8 werent firing due to low compression. He believes I should get new heads and manifolds/risers (rusty). Where is the best/cheapest place to get them online and are there any that I could get that would last longer and/or perform better?

Thanks for all the help in advance!

the heads on your engine should be a gt21 style head which are hp heads,,send them out to be checked and cleaned up and do a valve job..not to scare you but i have seen on allot of 302's and 351's where the #8 cylinder had a bad piston..with it being 7&8 it may just have a bad head gasket..

MOP
05-18-2011, 10:27 AM
7 & 8 are sister holes like Fixx said head gasket would be the first thought, pull the heads very good chance you will find a bad spot between the two. By now they are probably due for some work, don't buy anything until it comes apart! Inspect heads and exhaust stuff carefully, if run in salt most of its life not sure what you will find.

cgentile
05-18-2011, 07:02 PM
Try this place..
I picked up elbows , risers, t stat water pump, they have everything and pricing was great..

pretty sure they stock everything ...
TC electronic's marine Toronto Canada 21 Canadian road unit 17 416 751 7326

http://www.sterndrive.info/
C gentile
toronto
happy hunting