PDA

View Full Version : Bennett Trim tabs question on the buttons???

Selenium
05-17-2011, 12:24 PM
Why is the Left button control the Right tab and Right button control the Left tab? This is on the Donzi 22C, soneone I know has it like this too. He now switched the buttons to Left for Left and Right for Right. Should I do it to mine since it's in the shop now?

Conquistador_del_mar
05-17-2011, 12:41 PM
Why is the Left button control the Right tab and Right button control the Left tab? This is on the Donzi 22C, soneone I know has it like this too. He now switched the buttons to Left for Left and Right for Right. Should I do it to mine since it's in the shop now?

The switch control says "bow down" or "bow up". If you hit the right bow down on the switch, the left tab will lower to bring the starboard bow down by raising the port side aft when the tab lowers. I prefer to rewire the switch so the switch does exactly what the tabs do. In other words, after I rewire the switch, when I hit the left bottom switch the left tab goes down and so on. On the Martini I just bought, the Bennett switch was mounted upside down instead of being rewired to accomplish this very thing. The previous owner did not know why the switch was mounted upside down, but I was able to fill him in on the reason another previous owner had done it that way. It boils down to your preference in mental logic. I hope this makes sense. Bill

Dr. David Fleming
05-17-2011, 01:20 PM
I believe the buttons are wired inaccordance with the KISS principle - "Keep It Simple Stupid" - those who do not know how the equipment works can operate the boat - 90% of drivers.

Planetwarmer
05-17-2011, 09:19 PM
The way they are wired and installed was something I had to get used to as well. If I want the port bow to go down, I push the left rocker forward. In order to achieve this, the tabs need to do the opposite. If you like to think of the operation of the buttons as controlling the hull, keep it the way it is. If you like to think of controlling the tabs, simply flip the switch.

MOP
05-18-2011, 09:54 AM
If wired as per the factory instructions it is a mindless operation, right bow down push the right button left down down left button it could not be more simple.

yeller
05-18-2011, 01:15 PM
I'm one of those "stupid" drivers and like the factory wiring. With the factory wiring setup, I hit the switch based on what I want the bow to do. After all, that's what I'm looking at while driving. :)

Kirbyvv
05-18-2011, 02:30 PM
It's personal preference or what you are used to. I wired mine like Bill. If I want the port tab to go down, I push the port button down, etc. I just couldn't get my head to think the other way.

Sweet little 16
05-18-2011, 02:49 PM
yes very much a personal choice. just like backing up a trailer some can process go left turn right and some just grab the bottom of the steering wheel and turn they wheel the way they want the trailer to go. :)

CHACHI
05-18-2011, 05:28 PM
It's personal preference or what you are used to. I wired mine like Bill. If I want the port tab to go down, I push the port button down, etc. I just couldn't get my head to think the other way.

+3, tried the factory way for many years, I like the rewire way.

Just make sure you explain your tab switch to anyone who drives your boat.

Ken