PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle

tmh
05-14-2011, 03:07 PM
My 18 year old son, who is going to college this August at University of Florida, is looking to buy a used motorcycle and has $4,000-$5,000 for a budget. This is his own money from working a part time job. I'm trying to to get him into a car instead but it is his money. He is leaning towards a 500 CC sport type bike and a buddy of his suggests a Kawasaki Ninja 500R. I know numerous of you are into motorcycles and I want your feedback as to suggested makes, models, and year for potential bikes to consider. If it makes any difference he is 6'2" and 200 pounds of muscle, built like a footbal player, even though basketball has been his sport. I appreciate your feedback.
T.M. Hayes

BUIZILLA
05-14-2011, 03:41 PM
his physique isn't going to be happy on a sportbike under 900...

plenty of deals on Shadow 750's, Zuki Intruder's, 650 or 800 GS Beemer's, Buell Ulyusses or Lightning, Ducati 900ish Monster,

jstrahn
05-14-2011, 04:57 PM
If it is his first bike, you should be looking at small lightweight bikes. Put him on a liter bike or even a 750cc sport bike and it's asking for trouble.

Most people suggest starting on a 250cc sport bike if you are going to go that route.

mrfixxall
05-14-2011, 06:05 PM
if he is going to collage i would suggest for him to buy a Honda civic or a mac daddy scooter,,he will need a place for his books and theirs no room on a ninja for books..

DonziJon
05-14-2011, 06:38 PM
if he is going to collage i would suggest for him to buy a Honda civic or a mac daddy scooter,,he will need a place for his books and theirs no room on a ninja for books..

FIXX is right. Civic or Corolla...maybe an older Camry. That way he won't have his college friends sayin...How FAST is this BAD BOY.... Can you do us a WHEELIE..?? :bonk:

The key to student personal transportation (and longevity) is a LOW KEY Sedan.. DJ

Buddyc
05-14-2011, 06:52 PM
I have been riding motorcycles since I was 8. If he gets into a 500cc sport bike at his size and weight, He will outgrow it quickly and be bored. Im partial to harleys... Better return when you sell them and besides the women like them:wink:

jstrahn
05-14-2011, 07:21 PM
I have been riding motorcycles since I was 8. If he gets into a 500cc sport bike at his size and weight, He will outgrow it quickly and be bored. Im partial to harleys... Better return when you sell them and besides the women like them:wink:

Going to have to respectfully disagree with you. You've been riding motorcycles since you were 8, as have I. I'm going to venture a guess that like me, you started on a small 50cc or 80cc dirt bike. Learned how to ride and moved up in size steadily.

An 18 year old kid combined with being a new rider and a 600cc sport bike is asking for big trouble. I watched a lot of my friends hurt themselves using that same formula.

Even an 883 Sportster isn't the greatest starter bike as it's pretty heavy but it would be much better than a 500 or 600cc sport bike.

I still say go with a 250 and after a year of riding under his belt, he can move up.

Buddyc
05-14-2011, 07:31 PM
Going to have to respectfully disagree with you. You've been riding motorcycles since you were 8, as have I. I'm going to venture a guess that like me, you started on a small 50cc or 80cc dirt bike. Learned how to ride and moved up in size steadily.

An 18 year old kid combined with being a new rider and a 600cc sport bike is asking for big trouble. I watched a lot of my friends hurt themselves using that same formula.

Even an 883 Sportster isn't the greatest starter bike as it's pretty heavy but it would be much better than a 500 or 600cc sport bike.

I still say go with a 250 and after a year of riding under his belt, he can move up.
Yes, I started with an Indain 80cc.
In NJ our local harley dealers have a learn to ride program. You learn and take the test on a Buell.
Maybe im different than most but I think he would be bored to tears in no time on anything under a 883. Heavier bikes are only heavy when you stop.
Whatever he decides, learn to respect it and assume most people on the road dont see him... If it was my son I would steer him against it. But then again I just bought my 6 yr old a 50cc Honda for his birthday

zelatore
05-14-2011, 07:44 PM
Step one - revise the budget. He's got $4-$5000K to spend, but since this is his first bike I'll assume he has no gear. You don't have to go out and buy Arai and Aerostich, but figure he'll need to spend at least $500 on some decent riding gear. Full face helmet, gloves, jacket (maybe two jackets since he'll want something mesh for the heat/humidity and something waterproof for the rainy season). Personally, I also ride with boots and pants as well, but if I were going to cut corners I guess those would be the two parts I would skip first.

Now we're in the $3500-$4500 price range. Still plenty of decent beginner bikes out there in that price.

You say he's looking at sport bikes. Has he priced insurance on one? He may be in for a shock - it can be STUPID expensive for a kid to insure a sport bike. I'd highly recommend he make a couple calls on this front before buying.

If he's serious about wanting a sport bike, the thing that always comes to mind for me is the SV650. It's getting a little long in the tooth these days but still has a MASSIVE following for a good reason - it's a great all around bike. The twin sounds great and makes more bottom end torque than most super sports, so while it won't outrun a CBR600RR or R6, it's actually easier and more satisfying to ride around town. The suspension is a little cut-rate compared to supersports, but as a new rider he won't know any different and unless he starts really railing it'll be more than good enough. It's plenty fast and entertaining to ride, so he won't outgrow it like some of the beginner bikes suggested. You can find them for well under the price range he's in and still have money for mods or extra gear like a tail bag/saddle bags/tank bag/courier bag (if it's his only transportation, luggage will be important)/replacement turn signals for when he drops it/etc.

That last part is inevitable, and something not to be overlooked. A fully faired sport bike, even something like the 500, is very expensive to repair when it goes down. Even if it's just at a walking pace in the parking lot, all that plastic is pricey. A naked bike like the SV is just plain cheaper and easier to repair WHEN he drops it.

Take a look at SVrider.com. It's a very active SV forum with tons of good info. They're even hosting their annual rally at the Dragon next month if he wants to make a little run north to meet some like-minded people. My brother will be there with his 'Kandy Tangerine' SV-S.

DO NOT get a Harley - you'll spend a fortune for the name and end up buying an older bike with (likely) problems that a first-time rider doesn't need. Plus they handle like pigs and are very heavy - not great attributes for a first time rider.

DO NOT get a supersport. Even a 600 is a very serious machine these days and is basically a race replica. Some people act like a 600 is just a 'beginners bike'. Underestimating a GSXR600/R6/CBR600RR/Ninja600 would be a mistake - they are expensive and highly tuned bikes that are more happy at the track than commuting around town.

DO look at naked bikes. For a beginning rider, they offer all the sporting potential of the race replicas, are cheaper to buy/maintain/repair/insure, and (at least in my mind) are cooler anyway. They tend to be more comfortable and easier to ride with wider, upright motocross style bars and slightly lower pegs. They usually have more mid range and bottom end torque as opposed to needing 10,000 rpm to pull away from a stop.

DO consider 'adventure' bikes. He won't be able to afford any of the big names like the BMW GS (except maybe the 650), and they often have very high seat heights that can make a newbie uncomfortable, but he's a big guy and might be OK with that; heck, the extra leg room might be more comfy for him. This style is on the rise in popularity these days and is evolving toward a more street oriented setup instead of the on/off road combo. They're very functional and the longer travel suspension is good on crappy roads even if it's not so good off-road any more. That's good as few riders ever tackle anything more than a mile or two of gravel road even if they think they're going to do the Dakar. Bikes to look at here might be the V-strom 650 or Glaydus. Not sexy, but good all-arounders.

Lastly, DO try to get him into a motorcycle safety course. It's all about parking lot stuff, but it'll make it much easier for him to pass the riding test for his license and may give him a small break on insurance. Some of the courses will even let you by-pass the skills test on your license if you pass the course.

silverghost
05-14-2011, 07:47 PM
My uncle bought my cousin Bobby Hunter a similar sport & performance bike. He was the same age as your son & thought he was indesructable.
Two weeks later on a rainy night he lost control and drove head-first into a telephone pole at speed on a turn commng out of Wildwood NJ..
He arrived at Burdett/ Tomlin Hospital brain-dead & put on life support for two weeks.
His organs were later donated to save other young lives.
Evryone was heart-broken..
His family has never gotten over it to this very day.
~~~25 years later~

My opinion?
BUY your son a good safe & cheap used car .

zelatore
05-14-2011, 07:54 PM
Maybe im different than most but I think he would be bored to tears in no time on anything under a 883. Heavier bikes are only heavy when you stop.

Here's a classic Harley rider problem - you're thinking in terms of displacement only. Think in terms of performance. That 883 makes what? 40 hp? And it weighs what? 500 lbs?

Any modern 600 makes nearly three times that power and weighs in 100 lbs less. The performance from a new 600 is staggering. If you find a 600 boring, it's because you forgot the key and are pushing it!

And heavy bikes are heavy every time you stop, not 'only' when you stop. I find I have to stop quite often. Like, every time I ride. Sometimes more than once per ride! The low seat height of an HD will help, but just imaging a new rider tipping it over in the parking lot when that 500+ lbs gets away from him. Oops - that'll be $500 for paint, signals, levers, etc.

I'm not going to turn this into a bash HD thread, but you can't honestly make an argument for a Harley over another bike on a 'just the facts' basis. If the history, style, or hanging with 20 other buddies on the same brand is your thing that's great. But as your first and only bike? I'd never recommend one.

zelatore
05-14-2011, 08:03 PM
About that sad story...

I'm sure nobody has a sad story about a kid who died in a car accident.

I'm not saying a motorcycle doesn't have it's drawbacks, but it's basically as safe as the guy riding it. A kid can do something just as stupid on a bike as behind the wheel of a Volvo. Either can get you killed if you try.

Sorry for your friend, but I get tired of hearing the same old story trotted out every time somebody mentions getting a bike. 'I knew a guy who's friend's sister's brother bought one of them murder-cycles and killed himself dead! No way I'd get on one of them!'

Oddly, every member of my family rides (mother, father, brother, and myself) and although all of us have had accidents, all of us are still alive and riding today with plenty of miles and years under our belts and plenty more to come. We've all also had auto accidents as well, yet nobody has suggested we should swear off driving or even asked 'you won't drive again, will you?' after an accident.

Back to the topic at hand, another bike to consider is the venerable kawi KLR650. It's cheap, it's virtually indestructible, and it'll go almost anywhere. It's not sexy or fast, but it has a loyal following and can be turned into anything from a city-shredding motard to a continent crossing adventure bike. All on the cheap.

zelatore
05-14-2011, 08:06 PM
One more bike I'd put on my beginer's list: Triumph Bonneville.

(how could I have failed to mention this? :bonk:)

Not a sport bike. Not even close. But cheaper than a Harley and has history and style out the wazoo. It'll also run circles around an 883 Sporty in both power and handling, is lighter, and rides better.

It's hard to find a cooler bike at any price than a Bonneville.

gcarter
05-14-2011, 08:21 PM
Don's comment about "naked bikes" reminded me Jay Leno said that he doesn't trust bikes he can't see through! LOL :wink:

Buddyc
05-14-2011, 08:35 PM
I just think it depends on the individual. Its nice that you care enough to help him out and get some answers. Im an aggressive guy and know what i like and how I progressed. Was racing motorcross when I was 14.
The most important thing I can stress is that other people on the road have a hard time seeing bikes...I cant stress that enough!!

BUIZILLA
05-14-2011, 09:39 PM
I just bought a 2007 Triumph Tiger 1050 w/3316 miles off ebay

absolutely MINT condition

for $6969.00

rode it allll day today

pretty cool machine

with that said a T100 Triumph is very cool in it's own place at the curb

and the chicks dig a flat seat motorcycle

Greg Guimond
05-14-2011, 09:43 PM
My 18 year old son, who is going to college this August at University of Florida, is looking to buy a used motorcycle and has $4,000-$5,000 for a budget. This is his own money from working a part time job. I'm trying to to get him into a car instead but it is his money. He is leaning towards a 500 CC sport type bike and a buddy of his suggests a Kawasaki Ninja 500R. I know numerous of you are into motorcycles and I want your feedback as to suggested makes, models, and year for potential bikes to consider. If it makes any difference he is 6'2" and 200 pounds of muscle, built like a footbal player, even though basketball has been his sport. I appreciate your feedback.
T.M. Hayes

Everyone has an opinion but no one asked a simple question, has he EVER ridden a motorcyle of any size before for more then a quick spin?

dclassic
05-14-2011, 10:09 PM
New rider? This is what I suggest...

Step 1. Take 3 day Motorcycle Safety Foundation class. If he gets the right one, he can use one of their bikes, so no bike required. I believe the Harley Riders Edge is basically the same, and probably just as good.

Step 2. Shop insurance (by particular bikes of interest as cost varies wildly from model to model), it will be ugly until he is over 25.

Step 3. Get good gear. Helmet, jacket(s) with armor/crash pads, good gloves, boots with ankle protection, and some riding pants with armor (no they don't look cool off the track, but they will save his skin when needed). Good gear makes riding SO much more enjoyable. I waited way to long before I figured this out.

Step 4. Get a good STARTER bike. BYPASS 600 CC sportbike as Zelatore mentioned (they are way more machine than many people give them credit for). If sporty is important the SV650 is a solid choice as is a Ducati Monster 620-800ish, again pointed out by Zelatore. A Triumph Bonneville as Buiz also mentioned is a great choice (super easy to ride, relatively light, fun, good resale, and yes chicks do dig them). Don't "over bike" the guy. When he is more skilled and comfortable, he can always upgrade. The important thing is to be safe and responsible.

Step 5. Go to a small well organized track day/track school. No I am NOT kidding. This is one of the most educational experiences any rider can partake of. Working on his skills and limitations (as well as the bikes limitations) in a controlled environment. If something bad is going to happen, this is where it needs to happen as he will not be run over by grandma in her Olds 88 and the ambulance is at trackside. Heck, even if he bags the motorcycle in favor of a Corolla, send him to a performance driving school/track event. This is some of the best educational and skills development out there. When my girls are of age, they will be going.

He must respect the machine and his limitations and ride/drive as if everyone out these is trying to kill him. He needs to be very defensive and responsible. He will need to develop his skills and he will be fine. Hope this helps.

zelatore
05-15-2011, 02:42 PM
I just bought a 2007 Triumph Tiger 1050 w/3316 miles off ebay

absolutely MINT condition

for $6969.00

rode it allll day today

pretty cool machine

with that said a T100 Triumph is very cool in it's own place at the curb

and the chicks dig a flat seat motorcycle

It's hard to beat that 1050 trip for a street motor. And the Tiger is a great do-it-all bike. A little wierd looking, but short of single-tracking it'll do anything/go anywhere with few mods.

Some people call it a Speed Triple with bags and a windshield.

Although I have to admit if I were looking for a DS bike I'd look hard at the new Tiger 800 XC. Ligher, better off road (well, limited off road), and still plenty of grunt for crossing state lines at double the posted limit...That's important, as Nevada is big and lonely :kingme:

dsparis
05-15-2011, 09:24 PM
Buy American your job may depend on it.

younger
05-16-2011, 07:28 AM
If you love your son have him save his money for beer. You buy him the civic and know you saved a life. I have and still do ride! My last accident was on a gsxr 1000 that I tricked out! I high sided and went for a good bounce. It is not if but when the accident will happen.

zelatore
05-16-2011, 09:20 AM
Buy American your job may depend on it.

I'd be glad to buy American. Please point me to the nearest American made motorcycle that isn't an overpriced, overweight, underpowered, poor handling 'lifestyle accessory'.

(I'm assuming you don't count things like the made-in-Ohio Goldwing since it's a Japanese brand)

While you're at it, could you point me to the nearest fun-to-drive, not gigantic, not fwd, American made sports sedan for under $50K? Because I'd like to know what I should replace my BMW with.

Sorry, I don't mean to attack you on this, but I get sick of blanket statements like that. I am more than happy to buy American - if American companies will produce something I want. I will not however disregard everything I want in a vehicle simply because it was made by a company from another country. That statement is a foolish as a German telling his fellow countryman who is shopping for a pickup truck to 'buy German'. The Germans build excellent vehicles; they just don't build trucks.

gcarter
05-16-2011, 10:06 AM
The Germans build excellent vehicles; they just don't build trucks.

They do, just not in the size you want.

But a Tundra is almost an American only product. Toyota does export a few.
Buell built a nice bike, but it had an Austrian engine.

RedDog
05-16-2011, 10:18 AM
Don (zelatore) has a lot of great advise. And he is right on when taking about the sport 600s. Back in the 80s I had a modified 1100 Katana (header, smoothbore carbs, cam). Today's 600s would easily leave it behind. 600s run what 150 -160 mph?

Oh, and a crash will happen no matter what. Hopefully it is only road rash. After riding dual purpose bikes for several years, I dropped the first pure rode bike I had about 10 minutes after taking delivery - at about 1 mph!

A Triumph Bonny is definitely cool...

mrfixxall
05-16-2011, 11:12 AM
I'd be glad to buy American. Please point me to the nearest American made motorcycle that isn't an overpriced, overweight, underpowered, poor handling 'lifestyle accessory'.

(I'm assuming you don't count things like the made-in-Ohio Goldwing since it's a Japanese brand)

While you're at it, could you point me to the nearest fun-to-drive, not gigantic, not fwd, American made sports sedan for under $50K? Because I'd like to know what I should replace my BMW with.

Sorry, I don't mean to attack you on this, but I get sick of blanket statements like that. I am more than happy to buy American - if American companies will produce something I want. I will not however disregard everything I want in a vehicle simply because it was made by a company from another country. That statement is a foolish as a German telling his fellow countryman who is shopping for a pickup truck to 'buy German'. The Germans build excellent vehicles; they just don't build trucks.

Sorry and not to bust your bubble but me and dan ride harleys!! as the same goes for about 150 of our friends.we dont care about flying around corners at any high rate of speed, we just like to cruise and occasionally get on it and that's it. our bikes get us from point a to b and thats all we care about...

CHACHI
05-16-2011, 12:50 PM
(I'm assuming you don't count things like the made-in-Ohio Goldwing since it's a Japanese brand).

Don, shhhhh, Honda doesn't make the Wing in Ohio any more.

Ken

CJmike
05-16-2011, 01:40 PM
I agree with Don on almost all points.

Another underlooked at bike, Aprilia. Crappy resale, but if you are buying used, you win with that. My Falco was a great bike that needed hardly anything but routine maintance.

zelatore
05-16-2011, 05:21 PM
Sorry and not to bust your bubble but me and dan ride harleys!! as the same goes for about 150 of our friends.we dont care about flying around corners at any high rate of speed, we just like to cruise and occasionally get on it and that's it. our bikes get us from point a to b and thats all we care about...

I know there are plenty of HD riders here. And I think everybody here also knows I'm not an HD rider (currently 2 Triumphs and a Honda). I'm not trying to make this a bash Harley thread, but even the most die-hard HD rider has to admit that in a straight 'by the numbers' comparison HD looses every time.

Now if you add in the 'cool factor' and the style, sound, comradery, etc, then HD becomes very competitive. In the segments they choose to participate in. Note that I’m not saying HD builds oil leaking junk piles that vibrate parts off so fast it looks like a used bike shop on the shoulder after a group passes by – that’s the old HD. The bikes are actually pretty well made these days and I can acknowledge that.

But, knowing that the original post was looking at sport(y) bikes in the $4K range, what Harley are you going to suggest?

Knowing that my primary bike is a Triumph 1050 Speed Triple, what American bike should I buy that would be competitive?

I don't hate Harley. Heck, about every 6 or 7 years I get the itch to actually buy a bagger like a Road King for relaxed 'smell the roses' two-up cruising. Of course that itch is quickly gone when I start adding up all the mods I have to make on top of the high buy-in price to get a bike that will offer adequate perforce for two-up riding in the mountains - even when measuring that performance by cruiser standards. I also find the new XR1200 pretty interesting, though I don't see myself buying one any time soon.

Like I said, I'm more than happy to buy American - when there is an American alternative to choose from. In this case (as in the case of my preference for smaller sports sedans) I don't have an option, and really neither does the original poster. These segments are not served by any American producer.

BTW, had Harley not done everything they could to stifle Eric Buel, culminating in shutting him down entirely last year, I might well have bought one of their bikes. I've always found them interesting. Had Eric been allowed to do what he wanted with the company the bikes could have been so much more. We can only hope that when his non-compete clause expires he'll come back to the table with some truly creative rides. He's one of the good guys in the industry.

Further to that end, I wish Motus well. They are trying to bring a high-end V4 sport touring bike to market with a very interesting engine based roughly on the SBC. Launching a new bike company is no easy thing, but they seem to be making good progress so far.

And on the automotive front, I’m paying close attention to what Caddy does with the forthcoming ATS sedan; their ‘3-series fighter’. The CTS-V is very impressive, but a bit too big and outside my budget. If they can bring a true competitor to the 335/S4/C350 to market, I’ll certainly be willing to shop them on equal terms, even though it means going to a (shudder) Cadillac dealer. Maybe I’ll dye my hair grey first so I don’t look so out of place. Heck, I even once went to a Lexus dealer to look at the IS sedan when it first came out, and Lexus represents everything I HATE in automobiles. So yes, I’m willing to give anybody a fair shake if they will only build the sort of thing I want and no, I’m not willing to buy something I don’t want just for the sake of ‘buying American’. Nor do I in any way feel that makes me un-patriotic. If you build it, I will come. If you don’t, you can’t complain.

Don, shhhhh, Honda doesn't make the Wing in Ohio any more.

Ken

Doh! I had no idea! When did that happen??

I guess I could have suggested a Zero – an electric bike company based in Santa Cruz, CA. Then again, I have no idea where the actual manufacturing is done.

zelatore
05-16-2011, 05:29 PM
They do, just not in the size you want.

But a Tundra is almost an American only product. Toyota does export a few.
Buell built a nice bike, but it had an Austrian engine.

Sorry, should have said 'pick-up truck'. So far as I know, the Germans don't build in that segment.

As for the Tundra, I know it well. I lived in Princeton, IN when they built the plant for them and have family that works there now. (albeit as an outside contractor). In the case of pickups, I've only bought American and have no plans to buy anything but. This is a segment where American companies not only are competitive, but truely define the market.

GBond
05-16-2011, 06:40 PM
If you love your son. You buy him the civic and know you saved a life. I have and still do ride! It is not if but when the accident will happen.

Best advice!

MOP
05-16-2011, 08:30 PM
Best advice!

Another vote for if you love him! Push the Macho Krap aside, talk some sense with him. New no knowledge rider under the pressure of a new school, his head will not be where it needs to be. I rode as much as most up here, he should first "learn" to ride in leisure time. It looks like he may be going to school in warm country but every day is not sunny and dry, he is screwed on rainy days he needs a dependable form of transport.

CHACHI
05-17-2011, 05:53 AM
Doh! I had no idea! When did that happen??

Don, 2009. They sent production back to Japan.

Ken

mike o
05-17-2011, 06:23 AM
Well, I leaned to ride on a 125cc dirt bike in a big field. Dirt is the best place to learn to ride for sure. I always see newbies on the road where the bike is riding the riders (timid drivers) :yes: that dont have control of what they are riding. Maybe you could spend the weekend some where renting "something" learn "off " the "road" a tad, to get a feel for 2 wheels, before he hits the tar and traffic.....:wink:

DonziJon
05-17-2011, 02:08 PM
Don, 2009. They sent production back to Japan.

Ken

I had no idea either. Speaking of motorcycles, I stopped by to see my cousin Gordon R. today to talk about the old days. Since I don't ride anymore it's been awhile see I've been over there. (N.Kingstown) He said business has been down quite a bit, competitors going under, but he's still hanging in there.

He showed me another bike I had no idea about. The new BMW 6....(in line), Tourer. $25..30K depending on whats on it. He says it handles like a good sport bike. There's supposed to be an article in this months Cycle World. No Gold Wings on the showroom floor.

BTW Ken, Gordon told me he really likes that Spectro Jacket you gave him. :yes: :yes: John

zelatore
05-17-2011, 02:44 PM
The new I6 BMWs look pretty interesting; should pose a big challenge to the existing heavy-touring bikes. Lots of tech, lots of power, but lots of weight and lots of expense.

Honda's doing a revised '12 Wing as well, but I don't think it's a major refresh. After all, if you're Honda just how much are you going to mess with the all-time champion touring bike?

Back to the subject at hand, I'm going to really shoot myself in the foot here and say something that goes against everything you would expect from me: the kid is actually better off with a car at school. I love my bikes and imagine I'll have at least one in the garage for decades to come, but the truth is he's an 18 year old kid living away from home for the first time (I'm assuming). He may love the idea of a bike, but he's never had to live with one. Even I admit I still need a car/truck. You can make a bike do a lot, and I encourage anybody with an interest to take the sport up, but the practicality of having a bike as your only transport isn't the best.

Wow. Can't believe I just said that.

But I'll still be glad to weigh in on various bikes, gear, accessories, etc if he still wants to go that way.

BUIZILLA
05-17-2011, 02:46 PM
I rode a new K1600GT last Saturday..

pretty interesting moped

CHACHI
05-17-2011, 05:10 PM
BTW Ken, Gordon told me he really likes that Spectro Jacket you gave him. :yes: :yes: John

John, I'm a giver.....:wink:

Ken

DonziJon
05-17-2011, 07:05 PM
John, I'm a giver.....:wink:

Ken

:wink: :wink: :wink: John

DonziJon
05-17-2011, 07:33 PM
I was in the Thousand Islands with my newly acquired Minx a number of years ago. I had left the boat at the town dock (Clayton, NY). When I came back there was a note taped to the wheel. Call me. I did. Ken put me on to Donzi.net. In subsequent years, we bumped into each other up there again. Just sayin. :yes: John

EDIT: It turned out we had more in common than we would have imagined. We liked motorcycles and knew some of the same people connected with that sport...small world..:)

CHACHI
05-18-2011, 05:53 AM
John, thanks for the kind words.

Are you heading back up to Clayton this summer?

Ken

DonziJon
05-18-2011, 02:52 PM
Are you heading back up to Clayton this summer?

Ken

No plans. May or may not even get the boat out of the garage this summer. Only put 10.8 hours on it last year and it was at a dock at Winni during a two week vacation. I'm getting totally LAZY in my old age. :nilly: John

pipnit
05-23-2011, 10:14 AM
I agree with just about everything that Zelatore has said. (BTW, Zelatore, in the newest AMA magazine, there is a write up about what Eric Buell is up to)

You guys know the Harley Poem, right?

Ride a Harley, ride the best
Ride a mile, walk the rest!

lolzzzz--- before anyone freaks, I've owned a number of Harleys over the years. The only one I have a desire for now is an xr750 or something Olddddd, like pre WWII old.

My advice for your son, if interested in bikes is to get something cheap and easy to work on. I'm leaning towards single overhead cam designs. Maybe he should consider getting a dual sport like a Honda xr650l. It's air cooled, easy to work and learn on and is pretty much indestructable plus he'll be able to do some adventure riding and get on fire roads, paths, etc.
The SV that was reccomended is a good choice two, sporty, great handling, fun to drive twin.
The problem with the inline 4s is that in order to really have fun on them, you need to drive them the way they were designed, 120mph and faster.
It's a lot more fun to ride a slower bike at 90% of it's potential than riding a fast bike at 10%.

Just my ten cents, I hope he finds what he likes and becomes a good rider...

The best place to REALLY get your chops together is on the dirt.

blue boat
06-05-2011, 02:57 PM
2001 Ducati 916 monster s4 looking for 5 k only 6000 miles any interest e mail nichiocraig@att.net

DannyK
06-08-2011, 07:47 AM
You've gotten some good responses. I agree with having him take a MSF riding course, which would make him a safer rider and qualify him/you for an insurance discount. Also, proper riding gear ! Helmet,gloves,long pants,jacket and boots ! Not sunglasses ,shorts and flip flops ! As for bikes, opinions vary and I want to stay out of that arguement and just share what works for me. My current bike happens to fit both his size and your budget while still being an excellent bike he won't outgrow. A NEW Kawasaki KLR 650 Dual-Sport can be picked up around 5 grand. There are many leftover 2010s (they made tons of them) available for less then 5 grand. I'm 6'3" and 200 lbs and it fits me well, is fun, also goes in dirt, etc. I've had over a dozen motorcycles including 3 Harleys, but I really enjoy my KLR ! P.S. Please, no fast sport-bikes for an inexperienced rider! I don't want you regreting it in hindsight at the cemetary.