PDA

View Full Version : Think I may be getting overwhelmed...

RedDog
05-12-2011, 12:32 PM
Think I may be getting overwhelmed (date of summary is 5/12/2011)…

Early April – ice maker in new Electrolux frig goes out. Technicians try to repair 3 or 4 times in house. Give up. Electrolux is going to replace the complete refrig it but currently on special order.

Early April – order new kitchen counter tops – waiting on installation

April 27 – tornado hits less than a mile away. Worse hail storm I have never been it. Roof shingles badly damaged, several windows broken, garden shed roof has holes in it, some gutters damaged. Takes 10 days to get construction company out to work up estimate. Still waiting on it.

April 27 – during the storm the power went out meaning no working sump pumps. 4 feet of water in unfinished basement. Bought generator to power pumps and refrigs. Power back on after 23 hours (some friends had it much worse). Washer still worked. Was able to revive the gas water heater. Dryer died. Had it repaired and died again. Bought new one and installed it today.

April 27 – storm damaged car and 2 trucks. Body shops in the area are slammed so it will likely be mid-Summer before repairs are made.

Late April - order new kitchen range. To be installed May 17.

Renters are 2 months late – in lieu of rent set them up to paint rental house. Get paint, tools, ladders, etc

May 7 – problem son moves in for 10 days waiting on his next out-of-town Student Conservation Association (like Ameri-Corps) assignment. Stress

Early May – where is all of the water in the pool going? Bad gasket in the vari-valve

May 7 – discover I have a transom leak in the Donzi.

May 10 – been wondering why the basement isn’t drying out so well. Discover a corroded cast iron drain pipe right above insulated HVAC ductwork – insulation is soaked. JB Weld epoxy putty to the temporary repair. The whole line really needs to be replaced as I’m sure failures in other locations are in my future.

May 11 – son graduates summa cum laude in Mechanical Engineering – sure needed this bit of good news. Host dinner out for extended family

May 12 -Taking Donzi to the repair shop today if they guarantee completion in time for AOTH. If not I’ll run it anyway.

May 12 – funeral service for a friend of my wife’s

Next weekend – maybe I’ll seal the decks. Been meaning to for 3 weeks but for some reason I can’t get around to it…

Ghost
05-12-2011, 12:37 PM
Wow.

Sorry about the loss of your family friend.

Congratulations on your son's great work, that's fantastic.

What a load of other headaches. We'll have a cold one waiting for you in Jamestown.

BUIZILLA
05-12-2011, 02:49 PM
my niece''s husband's family that owns 4-5 car dealerships in your area...

lost virtually EVERY new and used car to the storm, i'm talking hundreds of cars...

Donzi Vol
05-12-2011, 03:45 PM

lost virtually EVERY new and used car to the storm, i'm talking hundreds of cars...

That's a tough spot. I was talking about that with a friend here in town and wondering how the dealerships fared. A lot of them are running some big sales to move the inventory out. I'm sure they're taking a loss, though.

It's almost erie that every other car you see around here looks like a golf ball. Thankfully I was able to flee to north Knox Co. and missed the bad stuff.

Donzi Vol
05-12-2011, 03:46 PM
Think I may be getting overwhelmed (date of summary is 5/12/2011)…

Early April – ice maker in new Electrolux frig goes out. Technicians try to repair 3 or 4 times in house. Give up. Electrolux is going to replace the complete refrig it but currently on special order.

Early April – order new kitchen counter tops – waiting on installation

April 27 – tornado hits less than a mile away. Worse hail storm I have never been it. Roof shingles badly damaged, several windows broken, garden shed roof has holes in it, some gutters damaged. Takes 10 days to get construction company out to work up estimate. Still waiting on it.

April 27 – during the storm the power went out meaning no working sump pumps. 4 feet of water in unfinished basement. Bought generator to power pumps and refrigs. Power back on after 23 hours (some friends had it much worse). Washer still worked. Was able to revive the gas water heater. Dryer died. Had it repaired and died again. Bought new one and installed it today.

April 27 – storm damaged car and 2 trucks. Body shops in the area are slammed so it will likely be mid-Summer before repairs are made.

Late April - order new kitchen range. To be installed May 17.

Renters are 2 months late – in lieu of rent set them up to paint rental house. Get paint, tools, ladders, etc

May 7 – problem son moves in for 10 days waiting on his next out-of-town Student Conservation Association (like Ameri-Corps) assignment. Stress

Early May – where is all of the water in the pool going? Bad gasket in the vari-valve

May 7 – discover I have a transom leak in the Donzi.

May 10 – been wondering why the basement isn’t drying out so well. Discover a corroded cast iron drain pipe right above insulated HVAC ductwork – insulation is soaked. JB Weld epoxy putty to the temporary repair. The whole line really needs to be replaced as I’m sure failures in other locations are in my future.

May 11 – son graduates summa cum laude in Mechanical Engineering – sure needed this bit of good news. Host dinner out for extended family

May 12 -Taking Donzi to the repair shop today if they guarantee completion in time for AOTH. If not I’ll run it anyway.

May 12 – funeral service for a friend of my wife’s

Next weekend – maybe I’ll seal the decks. Been meaning to for 3 weeks but for some reason I can’t get around to it…

Let me know if you need anything. I'm not great with duct work, but I'm pretty good at holding a flashlight and handing out beers.

Team Jefe
05-12-2011, 05:01 PM
Sounds like the RedDogs need a break....I know a pretyt good resort in Texas that takes in Wayward Tenn Vols for a small Amount of Good Tenn Whiskey:lookaroun:

roadtrip se
05-12-2011, 05:05 PM
Wasn't there a Stainless Marine header installation thrown in on the agenda during this time frame just for giggles, too? Wow.

This is why I may appear to be irreverent at times here, when things get serious or personal, because it is pretty obvious to me that a little fun on the water is needed by a lot of folks, like right now. It's supposed to be the fun that takes our mind off some of the curve balls life throws us. Serious fun, but still fun!

See you two next week, Tim.

The Hedgehog
05-12-2011, 05:32 PM
I am with Todd, sounds like you need AOTH. Come up and have fun.

RedDog
05-12-2011, 06:59 PM

My BIL works on the Motor Mile - the only cars saved were about 3 on the showroom floor and the one he drove home that night. The personal truck he left there that night was hammered.

Sounds like the RedDogs need a break....I know a pretyt good resort in Texas that takes in Wayward Tenn Vols for a small Amount of Good Tenn Whiskey:lookaroun:

Planning on it. Just have to work out when. Sept or Oct after it cools a little is looking good.

Wasn't there a Stainless Marine header installation thrown in on the agenda during this time frame just for giggles, too?

Well... It looks like a corner of my personal sandbag just got clipped a little by the King-of-Sandbaggers. Lets just say the results have exceeded my expectations...

I am with Todd, sounds like you need AOTH. Come up and have fun.

Can't wait for AOTH and seeing all my friends!

RedDog
05-12-2011, 08:38 PM
Ass hole neighbor behind me just decided to mow his backyard at 930 pm using headlights as I am decompressing on my back porch. Is it time to test my 45 into the woodpile to be sure it is cycling properly? Not as loud but can get more rapid fire (and 30 rounds) thru the AR-15...

Marlin275
05-12-2011, 08:47 PM
Ass hole neighbor behind me just decided to mow his backyard at 930 pm using headlights as I am decompressing on my back porch. ..

Starting up your Donzi on the hose will solve that problem . . .

RedDog
05-13-2011, 08:00 AM
Starting up your Donzi on the hose will solve that problem . . .

Neither idea was a good idea as the other neighbors are cool...