PDA

View Full Version : 1987 z25

2fast88
05-11-2011, 08:47 PM
hi all,

im a newbie here and had some questions about a 1987 z25 i might be getting. it has been on blocks for about 7 years uncovered so the interior is destroyed, but besides that are there any problem areas with this hull? is the boat worth restoring? the cabin is in pretty good shape, it has an alpha drive with a 454, engine compartment looks like new. the boat is red but faded badly and to top it all off some1 bottom painted it. i did scrape some paint off and found that whoever painted it didnt sand it first so the gelcoat looks pretty nice under the paint. wat would u do lol. thanks

Phil S
05-12-2011, 02:09 AM
Hi and welcome....

I would have a professional marine surveyor inspect it before buying it.

Phil S.

Mckillop
05-12-2011, 11:04 AM
That’s a BIG project. After sitting that long I would imagine the motor and drive will need to be completely gone thru, if not replaced all together for $10k to $15k. Interior is going to be a couple grand; a good cover is another grand at least. And that’s not even getting started on the gel coat. I am by no means an expert as some others on this site are, but I’ve been around boats and specifically Donzi's for long enough to know that unless this particular boat has special meaning to you, I would keep looking. I'm guessing you'll be into that boat for at least $20k doing a lot of the work yourself and that’s not including the purchase price or a trailer. There are some great Donzi's out there in that price range that need next to nothing if you're patient and keep your eyes open.
Just my 2 cents...

KerrLake
05-13-2011, 11:21 AM
The gas tank will need to be replaced and the transom and stringers will most likely need work too.

jdsdls
05-13-2011, 01:51 PM
Sorry also to tell you that a big block and the alpha drive are not a very reliable combination. To much power to the drive

2fast88
05-18-2011, 08:11 PM
thanks guys, i really love this boat, i took a hammer and tapped all over this boat the stringers, the transom its sounds solid it sounds to good to be true. dont wanna put big money into it. is there any other problem areas in this boat thanks again

Donzi_Dude
05-18-2011, 08:31 PM
check the bottom for a hook.

if its got a big one run away!

Mckillop
05-19-2011, 11:00 AM
thanks guys, i really love this boat, i took a hammer and tapped all over this boat the stringers, the transom its sounds solid it sounds to good to be true. dont wanna put big money into it. is there any other problem areas in this boat thanks again

The fuel tanks have issues. Not sure where it is on that boat, but thats why if you look around on this site long enough you will see the "deck is coming off" threads. If you're really considering it, get a good surveyor to go through it really well. I would also be a little worried about the electrical components since it sat out and uncovered for so long.

2fast88
05-19-2011, 04:42 PM
upon further investigation the transom is rotted on the inside. i tapped on the outside it was all solid, then i went in the engine compartment and parts of the stringers are soft and the transom is rotted. im guessing i can take out the transom assembly,cut from the inside take out all the old rotted wood, coat new wood with glass then glass it in. will this work? the stringers look easy. but how do i check the stringers that are under the deck? thanks again. Or is it easier said then done lol

Mckillop
05-19-2011, 05:10 PM
Cutting out transomes is not that uncommon. A good glass guy should be able to do that no problem. It gives you a good excuse to replace the out the alpha drive for a bravo and possibly raise the x-dimension. You are talking about a lot of $$$

joseph m. hahnl
05-19-2011, 05:29 PM
Z-25 7 years on blocks with out a cover tends to do a lot of water damage. They do look like a pretty cool boat
http://www.powerboatlistings.com/view/10379
http://www.powerboatlistings.com/powerimg/m/10379/main.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/osaffell652.jpg

Fishermanjm
05-20-2011, 07:03 AM
now that yellow boat is a deal,,, nice lookin boat