PDA

View Full Version : 1st real outing with the Whipple

osur866
05-08-2011, 11:47 PM
Got down to LOTO this weekend and did a few shake down runs with the recently upgraded motor, I have had it out on a few smaller lakes putting some time on her but hadn't really been able to streach her legs.

All in all went well, have a slight water pressure issue to work out this week in order to be ready for AOTH, and I will prolly need to either re gear the outdrive or find something with about 4 more inches of prop, was turning my current prop as high as I wanted to with about 1/3 throttle left.

Another positive was the boat handled better than it had ever before, it use to like to do a lil dance starting in the upper 60's and into the very low 70's which is where my top speed used to be, since the motor change there was a very slight bit of chine walk but almost nonexistencent, I contribute this to the boat running more flat, possible due to taking some weight out of the engine and also I'm running less trim, where as before I was trimming to get every last bit out of it, a side note, over the winter I had my prop repaired due to dingging it at seasons end and I'm not sure but that could also have a impact on the handling. There's still some dialing in to do but the results are good ones thus far, boat handles better up top, I only see 2 drawbacks thus far, 1 being it requires 91 octane min. Which really isn't too big of a problem there is plenty of gas docks at LOTO that have 93 and I am fortunate to have a land station that sells 92 non ethanol fuel, 2nd, it seems to be a lil cold blooded and is a lil more tricky to dock and handle when idling. But the power acceleration, handling up top and added speed have been worth it.
I still can't get over how well the boat handled up top I'll take the trade off's for sure!!

Steve

ITTLFLI
05-09-2011, 02:48 AM
AWESOME! That will be a sleeper!!! :shocking:

Can't wait to see it run!!

Ghost
05-09-2011, 03:51 PM
Sounds like you're off to a great start with it, congrats. Can't wait to see her perform. Let's see, 11 days and counting...

The Hedgehog
05-09-2011, 07:40 PM
That is so bad ass. I can't wait to see it run.

Z-Man
05-11-2011, 08:25 AM
Can't wait to see it! Will you be on LOTO this weekend? I hope to be down there on Sunday

glashole
05-11-2011, 09:18 AM
steve

you need to give the prop guys a heads up to bring some props for AOTH

good luck, sounds awesome

Shea

Fishermanjm
05-11-2011, 11:54 AM
can i ask why you need a minimum 91 octane for the boat?

fasttrucker
05-11-2011, 12:49 PM
can i ask why you need a minimum 91 octane for the boat?
DETONATION...............Blower motor will knock without high test gas.

Fishermanjm
05-11-2011, 02:27 PM
gotcha,,, didn't know about the blower, i was gonna ask about what kind of up-grades can be done to a 6.2l

osur866
05-11-2011, 09:05 PM
Shea - yeah I need to call Chris and have him bring some big stuff

Andre - No was down last weekend still working up to the 12th hour prolly to get ready for AOTH :( water was great last weekend, did the Harbor Hop was a great day on Sat.

What can be done to the 6.2? Unless your willing to tear it down and change most, not too much. We didnt keep much of the OEM parts.