PDA

View Full Version : Hunting for arrowheads when boating

Conquistador_del_mar
05-05-2011, 12:41 PM
My wife and I found these over the past 3 weeks while out boating. Do any of you guys look for them? We also enjoyed seeing the Canada geese nesting, but I found a huge mocassin that looked like it was going after some eggs yesterday so I made our dog stay out of the areas with vegetation. Bill

Jraysray
05-05-2011, 12:57 PM
Where do you look for those. Pretty neat!

Offset
05-05-2011, 05:09 PM
The indians were probably using the arrows on the snakes. God I hate snakes,:shocking: tell me where you were so I never go there!!! Watch you dog for sure.

Conquistador_del_mar
05-05-2011, 06:16 PM
Where do you look for those. Pretty neat!

You can find them at any older river or a lake that was turned into a lake from damming a river. The best place to look is near the shoreline, but erosion is the real key to finding them. One of the best lakes I know about is the Kentucky Lake area. Some great pieces have come from there. We find all the way from 13,000 year old pieces to the relatively new birdpoints which might only be a few hundred years old here in north Texas. Bill

Conquistador_del_mar
05-05-2011, 06:18 PM
The indians were probably using the arrows on the snakes. God I hate snakes,:shocking: tell me where you were so I never go there!!! Watch you dog for sure.

I live in far north Texas. Actually, I almost never see any snakes, but the one I saw yesterday was a monster.

WifeHatesMyDonzi
05-06-2011, 04:15 AM
The arrowheads are quite abundate here on the Tennessee River where we do most of our boating.We don't spend the time searching for them, but some of our neighbors do......They are so damned hard to see through the beer goggles:drinkbeer:

Conquistador_del_mar
05-06-2011, 12:17 PM
The arrowheads are quite abundate here on the Tennessee River where we do most of our boating.We don't spend the time searching for them, but some of our neighbors do......They are so damned hard to see through the beer goggles:drinkbeer:

Yep, the Tennessee River is well known as a great place to find some very nicely made and sizeable points. In my collection, the two early archaic pieces and 3 of the Hardins in the larger frame came from there . Bill

MOP
05-07-2011, 05:14 PM
They will put a big jump in your retirement fund, I was reading about one head that drew $30,000 at an auction. Absolutely amazing! Phil

Conquistador_del_mar
05-07-2011, 11:10 PM
They will put a big jump in your retirement fund, I was reading about one head that drew $30,000 at an auction. Absolutely amazing! Phil

Phil,
Do you remember which one it was? Any point that brings over $25,000 is fairly well known in the collecting community. I got to see the largest Clovis ever found last June at the Temple, Texas show and meet the finder. He found it near Kentucky Lake. The finder is asking $500,000 and I personally think he will get it. Although I have a great collection, I don't have any points worth more than $5000 - :boggled:. I will likely never find a valuable piece, but it sure is fun finding the tools that man used so many years ago - :yes: Bill