PDA

View Full Version : Lifting hooks

gmcars10
05-04-2011, 08:24 PM
Please advise if I should expect the lifting hooks on my newly aquired 2006 22 Classic are functional or not. I planned on summer storage using the hooks only to lift the boat as an additional cradle lift is extremely difficult to install. I thought they were designed for that purpose. Thanks in advance. :confused:

Tidbart
05-05-2011, 07:33 AM
They are functional

Carl C
05-05-2011, 07:40 AM
Make sure lifting force is straight up by using a spreader bar.

Pismo
05-05-2011, 11:31 AM
They are NOT functional. The rear one needs a new bracket inside. I lifted mine and it bent like hell, I replaced it.

See

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=41471

Seem to work on 16s and 18s, the 22s with big blocks have trouble.

The new bracket solved my problems and I have been hanging by the eyes for years now.

Tidbart
05-05-2011, 11:50 AM
Let me rephrase.... they are supposed to be functional.:)

gcarter
05-05-2011, 12:46 PM
It depends what series of boat (year and owner) as to whether or not it's functional.
The real light aluminum brackets aren't.

Pismo
05-05-2011, 03:08 PM
It depends what series of boat (year and owner) as to whether or not it's functional.
The real light aluminum brackets aren't.

Which is what is stock in an '06 22.

gcarter
05-05-2011, 07:03 PM
Which is what is stock in an '06 22.

Didn't you simply duplicate your aluminum bracket in SST?

Pismo
05-05-2011, 07:53 PM
Didn't you simply duplicate your aluminum bracket in SST?

Yes, I believe it was 1/2" stainless. There is a picture of the new bracket in that thread I linked. It was a little bit larger with two more transom bolt holes.

I took the old bracket to a metal shop and they built the new one using the angles, holes spacing, etc. from the old one. $75. It has worked perfectly since.

MOP
05-05-2011, 08:19 PM
Post a picture of the transom mount most of us are very aware of the poor ones!

gmcars10
05-05-2011, 09:06 PM
I am just on a road trip to pick up a 1949 'Dippy' in MI then on to MN and won't be back till next Tuesday. I will take pictures and post them. I appreciate the input and saw the other post about pulling out but on a different year. If they are aluminum, it sounds like a fairly simple fix to have SS copies of the plates made. Thanks again

gcarter
05-05-2011, 09:14 PM
Here's a link to the picture;

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14099&d=1124816920

I'd have opened it here, but I think it's a pretty big picture.

Carl C
05-06-2011, 07:54 AM
Mine is aluminum. WTF would Donzi put on lifting hooks that are useless? On the one that failed, was the lifting force straight up? You can't use a V shaped run of chain or it pulls the hooks inward and cracks the glass and bends parts.

Pismo
05-06-2011, 08:21 AM
The aluminum one just is not strong enough. I did a nice slow, straight pull the first time and it bent significantly before the boat came up.

Look at that thread, lots of pictures and the whole story there.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=41471

Carl C
05-06-2011, 10:17 AM
That's nuts. I was thinking about removing all the extra hardware and making mine cosmetic only. This may have clinched the deal.

f_inscreenname
05-06-2011, 10:50 AM
I would never use them. My boats have a 4 bolt version of this,
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14115&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1229092402
and I still wouldn't. I mean the weight of the whole boat on two points is just crazy.

BlakeSullivan
05-06-2011, 12:30 PM
I have hung my boat 22c 97 from them for almost a year but mine is made of steel .

Carl C
05-06-2011, 01:11 PM
My aft one is aluminum just like Pismo's. I will be removing all hardware and leave just enough threaded rod for a nut and glue them on with 4200. This will remove a few pounds especially from the very front of the boat where any weight reduction will be a good thing. I don't use them for dock lines anyway. They are just there for tradition. I can't believe Donzi's quality control sometimes....

Pismo
05-06-2011, 01:11 PM
Older 22s, like a 1987 that I know, had a steel internal bracket and worked fine.

Pismo
05-06-2011, 01:16 PM
The front one was never a problem. I climbed up there and all looked fine. Once I replaced the rear aluminum bracket with steel it works well and I hang the boat in a boathouse for 5-6months every year, it works fine and it is very handy. The easiest lift system I have used. Two - 2 ton hoists with hooks and up it goes in a few seconds. They are nice to have, once they work...

Carl C
05-06-2011, 02:30 PM
They are supposed to be functional. Classics are supposed to be able to be hung from yachts as tenders. I can't believe they didn't test that rear bracket. Now someone asks if they can be used to hang the boat and people say yes but they really can't be used if you have the rear aluminum one because apparently nobody at Donzi tested it. Wow. There should be a warning sticker I guess saying "do not use rear lifting eye to hang boat; It is for looks only".:bonk:

MDonziM
05-08-2011, 04:38 PM
I would never use them. My boats have a 4 bolt version of this,
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14115&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1229092402
and I still wouldn't. I mean the weight of the whole boat on two points is just crazy.

I had one thike this on my 16 that I used for years to lift in and out of the water on a large davit with a spreader bar. It bolted thru the outdrive transom assembly and I found it to be quite strong. My 94' 22 has the same as Pismo's and I tried to use it to lift the boat off the trailer once and it started bending and giving way right away. I don't know what the newer ones are like.

- Marshall

Carl C
05-08-2011, 04:43 PM
I had one thike this on my 16 that I used for years to lift in and out of the water on a large davit with a spreader bar. It bolted thru the outdrive transom assembly and I found it to be quite strong. My 94' 22 has the same as Pismo's and I tried to use it to lift the boat off the trailer once and it started bending and giving way right away. I don't know what the newer ones are like.

- Marshall

Wouldn't that warrant a recall? WTF?

Pismo
05-08-2011, 07:57 PM
I thought about hooking mine into the transom assem somehow. It is only 2-3" below the bracket. That would make it very strong. I opted not to by just adding two more thru transom bolts in the corners on the new bracket to spread out the load some. It has always worked fine so...but a TA lift would be great. You would then be directly lifting the heaviest parts, the engine and drive.

f_inscreenname
05-08-2011, 10:18 PM

- Marshall

I have a 1968 Nova marine race boat with a steel front cleat stamped Donzi marine on it. It's been stretched all out of shape from lifting the boat with it. Admitted it's a 24' boat but that how close they are to failure.

MDonziM
05-09-2011, 06:25 PM
Wouldn't that warrant a recall? WTF?

I really don't know Carl, I have seen several different types of lift brackets and I can't say. I think they seem to be under- engineered but I also think that 90% of owners probably don't use them so it doesn't create enough of a problem for Donzi to address.(again, I don't know what the newer ones are like) My Magnum had a heavy duty looking lift bracket (3/4" threaded rod and a 4 bolt steel bracket thru the transom) and I removed it because I could not imagine how it could be functional.

- Marshall

gcarter
05-09-2011, 07:20 PM
I really don't know Carl, I have seen several different types of lift brackets and I can't say. I think they seem to be under- engineered but I also think that 90% of owners probably don't use them so it doesn't create enough of a problem for Donzi to address.(again, I don't know what the newer ones are like) My Magnum had a heavy duty looking lift bracket (3/4" threaded rod and a 4 bolt steel bracket thru the transom) and I removed it because I could not imagine how it could be functional.

- Marshall

The newest Classics I've seen had none, in fact, had a flush deck.

MDonziM
05-10-2011, 08:29 AM
The newest Classics I've seen had none, in fact, had a flush deck.

I guess thats one way to fix it.

gmcars10
05-11-2011, 05:31 PM
Not sure why I have a real tuff time creating new posts but seeing how I started this one, I dont feel bad if it gets hijacked. I was looking for quite some time for a very clean way to install fender gromets on my 22. I found these available from Cobalt dealers and ordered 4 of them. They are very clean looking and have no logo on the boat mount. There is a 'C' on the fender hardware but to me that's just 'Classic'. Cobalt stuff is high quality. Here is the link (if I did that right)

http://www.cobaltboats.com/v11/outfit_your_cobalt/smimages/Fenderclip_three.jpg

Planetwarmer
05-11-2011, 07:02 PM
I went running up to the bow to catch the trailer, and broke my toe on the front lifting eye. It felt pretty substantial to me!!

gmcars10
05-12-2011, 06:57 AM
Not sure why I have a real tuff time creating new posts but seeing how I started this one, I dont feel bad if it gets hijacked. I was looking for quite some time for a very clean way to install fender gromets on my 22. I found these available from Cobalt dealers and ordered 4 of them. They are very clean looking and have no logo on the boat mount. There is a 'C' on the fender hardware but to me that's just 'Classic'. Cobalt stuff is high quality. Here is the link (if I did that right)

http://www.cobaltboats.com/v11/outfit_your_cobalt/smimages/Fenderclip_three.jpg

joseph m. hahnl
05-14-2011, 06:34 PM
I went running up to the bow to catch the trailer, and broke my toe on the front lifting eye. It felt pretty substantial to me!!
The woes of growing old. Your body gets so decrepit it breaks like a frail china doll

http://blogofbad.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/six-flags.jpg