PDA

View Full Version : Any stereo/audio wizards out there...?

fogducker III
05-04-2011, 02:42 PM
This is sort of boat related, the stereo is in my boat.....http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.offshoreonly.com/get/forums/images/smilies/more/coolcowboy.gif

The stereo stopped working last time out, basic Pioneer set up, head unit with a seperate 4 channel amp and four speakers, everything was working great last time out.

The head unit powers up but the amp does not, power at the amp but nothing coming out.....my question is: The blue wire with the tracer from the head unit is the "remote" line that goes to the amp to tell it to turn on right?, what sort of signal should come from this wire? Is there a way I can test that the head unit is sending a signal to the amp to power up...?

Hope this makes sense to somebody......http://ui.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.offshoreonly.com/get/forums/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

I put a ground and power to the amp and it does not power up, I assume some sort of signal/power has to go to the remote terminal on the amp...???

PS. All fuses and connections have been checked......thanks.
http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.offshoreonly.com/get/forums/images/statusicon/user_online.gif http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.offshoreonly.com/get/forums/images/buttons/report.gif (http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/report.php?p=3394576)

mrfixxall
05-04-2011, 02:51 PM
This is sort of boat related, the stereo is in my boat.....http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.offshoreonly.com/get/forums/images/smilies/more/coolcowboy.gif

The stereo stopped working last time out, basic Pioneer set up, head unit with a seperate 4 channel amp and four speakers, everything was working great last time out.

The head unit powers up but the amp does not, power at the amp but nothing coming out.....my question is: The blue wire with the tracer from the head unit is the "remote" line that goes to the amp to tell it to turn on right?, what sort of signal should come from this wire? Is there a way I can test that the head unit is sending a signal to the amp to power up...?

Hope this makes sense to somebody......http://ui.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.offshoreonly.com/get/forums/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

I put a ground and power to the amp and it does not power up, I assume some sort of signal/power has to go to the remote terminal on the amp...???

PS. All fuses and connections have been checked......thanks.
http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.offshoreonly.com/get/forums/images/statusicon/user_online.gif http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.offshoreonly.com/get/forums/images/buttons/report.gif (http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/report.php?p=3394576)

ok can you repeat yourself one more time???lol

ok,the blue wire is a remote turn on for a power antenna,it may be fused at some point but doubtful..remove the blue wire at the amp and test it with a test light,if it turns on then your amp may have taken a vacation..if no power the jump the amps power lead to where the blue wire went and see if it powers on..make sure the wire is disconnected because its not good to put power back into the radio..if the amp works like this then remove the radio and see if theirs another remote wire like power antenna lead one lead has a out put of 1volt and the other has a out put of 600 millivolts which should be powering up the amp..

ok,the blue wire is a remote turn on for a power antenna,it may be fused at some point but doubtful..remove the blue wire at the amp and test it with a test light,if it turns on then your amp may have taken a vacation..if no power the jump the amps power lead to where the blue wire went and see if it powers on..make sure the wire is disconnected because its not good to put power back into the radio..if the amp works like this then remove the radio and see if theirs another remote wire like power antenna lead one lead has a out put of 1volt and the other has a out put of 600 millivolts which should be powering up the amp..

fogducker III
05-04-2011, 03:57 PM

Always the smart as$.......:wink:

From the head unit there is a blue, for power antenna as well as a blue with a, I believe white tracer....this is marked amp remote. Everything is hooked up the way it was when it worked fine, I basically have narrowed it down to the amp gone south or the head unit not sending the right signal to the amp via the blue/tracer wire.......just was not sure what type of signal the blue provides the amp.....I will try "jumping" power from the + on the amp to the remote post on the amp and see if it powers up, thanks.

MOP
05-04-2011, 04:09 PM
I put 50 cents on the contacts in the head need cleaning and tightening, cleaning is easy tightening requires: no power to the unit, a dental pick very carefully wielded to lift the contact straps a millionth of an inch!!!! You may get away with just the cleaning, I have gotten stuck with fiddling with the contact straps. I use contact cleaner and Q tips, a gentle patient job so as not to bend or damage the contacts. Phil

mrfixxall
05-04-2011, 04:14 PM
Always the smart as$.......:wink:

From the head unit there is a blue, for power antenna as well as a blue with a, I believe white tracer....this is marked amp remote. Everything is hooked up the way it was when it worked fine, I basically have narrowed it down to the amp gone south or the head unit not sending the right signal to the amp via the blue/tracer wire.......just was not sure what type of signal the blue provides the amp.....I will try "jumping" power from the + on the amp to the remote post on the amp and see if it powers up, thanks.

ok,,, if i see a mushroom cloud over your way ill call the parametics.:shocking:

fogducker III
05-04-2011, 05:39 PM
I put 50 cents on the contacts in the head need cleaning and tightening, cleaning is easy tightening requires: no power to the unit, a dental pick very carefully wielded to lift the contact straps a millionth of an inch!!!! You may get away with just the cleaning, I have gotten stuck with fiddling with the contact straps. I use contact cleaner and Q tips, a gentle patient job so as not to bend or damage the contacts. Phil

Thanks Phil, from the looks of it the head unit is not sending a "signal" out the remote line. I jumped the amp with power from the + to the remote terminal and it powered up, so I will re-check the remote line from the deck to the amp and then look at the actual connections at the deck.....appreciate the input.

Mr.Fix.......buy the ex some dental floss, I saw in that last pic you posted she had a pube stuck in her teeth.....probably NOT yours....:eek:

yeller
05-05-2011, 01:27 AM
The remote wire takes 12 volts. Simply bypass the head unit and jumper 12v to the amps' remote wire connection and see if turns on.

Oops....I see you've already done that. If you can't get power from the head units' "amp remote" you can use the "power ant" wire. If there is no power on either, you can wire the amps' remote connection to any switched 12v power source.

mrfixxall
05-05-2011, 09:00 AM
The remote wire takes 12 volts. Simply bypass the head unit and jumper 12v to the amps' remote wire connection and see if turns on.

Oops....I see you've already done that. If you can't get power from the head units' "amp remote" you can use the "power ant" wire. If there is no power on either, you can wire the amps' remote connection to any switched 12v power source.

i guess you didnt read my post either.........

yeller
05-05-2011, 10:30 AM
i guess you didnt read my post either.........I only glanced at it and noticed where you said the two remote wires were 1v and 600mv which is incorrect, so I didn't read any further.

zelatore
05-05-2011, 05:28 PM

Glad you posted that - it's about as basic as can be (just look for 12v to the amp's blue 'turn on' lead) but things sounded like we were troubleshooting the Mars Rover there for a while!

mrfixxall
05-05-2011, 05:40 PM

sorry i was wrong,,got a little excited at that moment,( i had jeremys X under the desk at the time):bonk:

i ment 1 amp and the other is 600 milliamp max current draw!! I use to install custom sound systems in my way younger years and forgot the rite terminology..

fogducker III
05-05-2011, 06:02 PM
Now, now ladies.....I realize it is not rocket science and a basic wiring/electrical fix but I was not 100% about the signal/current from the remote wire.....:wink:

Thanks for the input, I now have tunes.....:yes:

yeller
05-05-2011, 08:55 PM
i ment 1 amp and the other is 600 milliamp max current draw!! I use to install custom sound systems in my way younger years and forgot the rite terminology..
After I went back and read your post, I figured you meant amps/milliamps.:)