PDA

View Full Version : X-18 decal location

Dakari
04-29-2011, 11:55 AM
Hi gang-

I need some help in locating the original decal locations on my 76 X-18. I have replacement flags, shields, and Donzi, but the decals on my boat are not correct. What I'm looking for are dimensions below the rubrail and distances from the transom. I've searched the forums and can't find what I'm looking for.

Thanks!

3rdDonzi
04-30-2011, 05:55 AM
I don't have any measurements but I do have an origional X-18 brochure I could fax or mail you a copy of so you could "eyeball"it.
3D

Dakari
04-30-2011, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the offer, 3D! Another member is going to give me dimensions off of an X he has.

3rdDonzi
04-30-2011, 05:48 PM
Great,
Please post pictures when you are done.
3D

Marlin275
04-30-2011, 06:20 PM
Hi gang-
I need some help in locating the original decal locations on my 76 X-18. I have replacement flags, shields, and Donzi, but the decals on my boat are not correct. What I'm looking for are dimensions below the rubrail and distances from the transom. I've searched the forums and can't find what I'm looking for.
Thanks!

These images are correct
5" = a full flag decal width from the stern
1" inch down from the rub rail metal edge . . .
Top of Donzi logo aligns with top of flag and lion/dolphin decals

Dakari
05-01-2011, 05:04 AM
Thanks Marlin. I am a bit confused after looking at the pics. All 3 of the pics that show the port side show the dolphin after the flag, but the pic in the brochure shows the starboard side and the flag is at the rear. Are they supposed to be alternated between sides?

Sweet little 16
05-01-2011, 06:23 AM
Yes they do change from side to side. From the factory the USA pennant was always seen to the left of the lion and dolphin or other flags( as it would if you were displaying The USA flag with other flags at equal height.)

look here you'll see this
left to right
port side Donzi USA Dolphin/other flag
starboard side USA Dolphin/other Donzi

http://www.donzi.net/forums/easy_pages.php?p=5

Marlin275
05-01-2011, 11:01 AM
Are they supposed to be alternated between sides?

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=63502&d=1304309722
1966 18 Brochure

When I first saw these classics in South Florida in the mid-sixties
they had the Donzi logo then the American flag then the British Union Jack, in that order on both sides of the hull.
Different crews at different locations and even different weeks of production would change all that
and there seems little consistency.

Then the British shield was dropped and the dolphin/lion shield replaced it.

http://www.donzi.net/cat/cat70/pix/Red16SkiSporter.jpg
1970 Brochure

Donzi Literature
http://www.allardmarine.com/donzi_literature.htm

Dakari
05-01-2011, 05:06 PM
So I spent the afternoon putting the decals on the boat. I went with 16's comments regarding the Rules of the Flag, so that the USA Flag always appears to the left of the Donzi dolphin/lion.

Thanks to everyone that gave me input on this thread.

Marlin275
05-01-2011, 06:44 PM
I noticed that the new Donzi Direct reproduction of the original Donzi logo sticker
uses a different font and the inclusion of the registered mark is not necessary.
All the newer Donzi logos do not use the registered mark so why put it on this one?

The original font is bolder.
The reproduction logo has more space and air around the boxed rule.
It really is a different logo and not a copy of the original.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=63495&stc=1&d=1304293372

Dakari
05-01-2011, 06:51 PM
Good question. Maybe Josh can enlighten us.

DonziJosh
05-02-2011, 10:47 AM
Interesting thread. It's clear that the "standards" with regard to logo placement were originally left to the whims of whoever was installing them at the time.

Likewise, the logos themselves have gone through changes throughout the years, often in keeping with changes in ownership.

The rectangle logo apparently received some tweaking in the 1980s during the Staples/Genth era, when it became a prominent fixture in company advertising (the "Speedboating Redefined" ads, the large Portfolio brochures, etc.). At this time, the registration mark was applied.

When we recommissioned the rectangle logo for the 2004 40th Anniversary Edition Classics, our artist went back into the archives and used that registered logo. Coincidentally, that was the logo our graphics shop had on file, since they've produced the logos for Donzi for the past few decades.

DonziDirect is a work in progress and in many cases the customer is helping to determine our offerings, as we expand well beyond the realm of currently-warehoused Donzi items. So, when we first received a request for a rectangle logo with older-style, larger flags, that's what we provided. These items were subsequently added to our (still under construction but already popular) website.

Dakari, if you'd like a new set of logos, we'll gladly send them to you at no charge. We aim to please! Call us at 888.441.1614.

Josh

Marlin275
05-02-2011, 11:13 AM
Interesting thread.

Likewise, the logos themselves have gone through changes throughout the years, often in keeping with changes in ownership.
Josh

Thanks Josh for the response.
Is there any interest in going back to the original Don version of the logo?

DonziJosh
05-02-2011, 12:18 PM
Hi Marlin,

We're already working on this and will have the original logos added to the site probably by the end of this week or early next.

Thanks!

Josh

Dakari
05-02-2011, 04:03 PM
I've got to throw out some HUGE props to Josh! I gave him a call and he set me up with an original font decal set, just as promised. It's great having companies on here like Donzi Direct and Lakeside (Thanks, Jamie!) that provide an outstanding level of customer service that can be hard to come by these days.