PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on different types of ignition

pipnit
04-27-2011, 10:44 PM
Hey Guys,

We're getting ready to run the new motor on a stand, hopefully next week. I have a newer ( 2 years old ) Merc ignition system. A friend of mine told me he had problems years back, 10-12 years ago with a Merc system not being able to keep up with his R's (6000). He switched to an MSD ignition and never looked back.
Curious to hear what your thoughts are on ignition, I'm planning on running around 5,800.

Thx :boat:

MOP
04-28-2011, 06:25 AM
If you read through the many posts on the board you will see the drives do not last long over 5000, most of us have had better luck with the Merc stuff than after market. The Merc packs are very reliable all most need is a high perf coil for extra spark. I run the Merc IV with a 60,000 volt coil on my stroker, it has been flawless for five years ans counting. Quite a few blower motor guys us the V6 pack fot its timing range that says a lot!

Phil

P.S. My IV pack it from 1985 I would say that says a bunch about reliability!

SamIam
04-28-2011, 03:10 PM
X2. Thunderbolt systems work great.

pipnit
04-29-2011, 12:09 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. It sounds like I just need to upgrade the coil then. BTW, I have a TRS drive and I've been told they can go well over six grand and last a long, long time. I have about 200 hrs on the trs myself at 5600 and not a single hiccup. Just did a service and although the clutch plates (merc II) were shot, the drive was tight.

MOP
04-30-2011, 08:02 AM
I have heard of quite a few TRS app being run up there, not so with Alphas and Bravos they die early over 5k.