PDA

View Full Version : Meat Glue???

mrfixxall
04-24-2011, 02:22 PM
you have to watch this!!
http://www.tvkim.com/watch/914/kims-picks-what-is-meat-glue?utm_medium=nl&utm_source=totd&utm_content=2011-04-22-fifl&utm_campaign=v

zelatore
04-24-2011, 04:40 PM
You know, I'm not really all that upset by this. I can see how it could be used the decieve people, but for the most part it seems like a good way to maximize your returns on product. Better than just tossing the scraps into the grind pile.

86fxst
04-24-2011, 06:27 PM
I'm sure I've been hoodwinked by this situation on a regular basis!:confused::puke:

tmh
04-24-2011, 06:47 PM
I'm glad I have always liked porterhouse. I will now eat my steak a bit more medium than rare.
TMH

Ghost
04-25-2011, 12:27 AM
You know, I'm not really all that upset by this. I can see how it could be used the decieve people, but for the most part it seems like a good way to maximize your returns on product. Better than just tossing the scraps into the grind pile.

I had exactly the same thought until I worked my way through it further. (They got to this late in the video, but not until then.)

When meat is ground, you know every bit is in danger of surface contamination and needs thorough cooking. All of it has been exposed to who-knows-what.

But when it is meat-glued, you risk thinking it is a solid cut. So you risk thinking that all but the outside is safe from contamination, such that you only need to cook the outside. Leaving you with a serious risk of cooking it med rare, thinking that's plenty, and getting e-coli or salmonella from the uncooked internal seams.

MOP
04-25-2011, 06:29 AM
It is just another screw job exposed, you can read it anyway you like! I spent an hour or so last night and I gathered the same thought as Ghost, it is essential to cook suspect meats more well done to attempt to kill the surface bacteria. They could care less about us it is all about the $$$$$$$$$!!

Inferno
04-25-2011, 04:37 PM
If you knew what you were eating most of the time ...You wouldn't eat it !!! example -" Hotdogs" :confused:

fogducker III
04-25-2011, 04:59 PM
This is why we raise our own beef, lamb, chicken and eggs, even catch our own fish, prawns, crabs and harvest shellfish.....I realize not everybody is in the position to do that but all of us are able to dig a little deeper into where we are getting our food and what it actually is......just saying.......I don't trust any meat suppliers after what I saw in the UK that they called meat.......:yes:

Donzi Vol
04-25-2011, 06:47 PM
I won't claim to be an expert, but I have worked in the foodservice industry for just shy of 11 years now, and I've gained a little bit of knowledge here and there.

First off, I wouldn't freak out just yet. That is, of course, unless you're eating meat wherever these guys are in Europe. One thing that drives us crazy as suppliers is how stringent the USDA and FDA are on products that are produced and sold. It's frustrating because it often takes tons of R&D and marketing dollars to prouce a product that is worthy of the safety standards they put forth. Where it's a good thing is that it keeps us all as safe as possible when we go out to eat or pick up meat from the grocery store. Furthermore, the government regulations will not let anything that is dangerous to our health be part of raw material, as is the case with this solvent that they are using in the video. I could be wrong, but I really doubt that it's on any ingredient list.

That brings me to my next point. Everything everything everything has to be on the label. The next to last part of the video dealing with pumping, is a very common practice. We in the biz call it "marinating". Sounds a lot better, right? Quite simply, it's a saline solution that flavors the meat and adds moisture to the product. It's usually anywhere from 10-20% in chicken, which is the most common product that is pumped. Next time you're at the grocery store, read the label and you will see exactly what the pump is because it HAS to be on there. The advantage to adding pump is to keep production cost low (water costs less than muscle), which is passed right on to the consumer (you and me).

Lastly, as to the most concerning part which is the safety in cooking, it's a legitimate concern here. I don't know any restaurants or butchers that are doing anything remotely similar to this, so I wouldn't fret too much in going out to eat. But to each his own when it comes to cooking temperature (target for killing bacteria is 165 deg F, btw). And if you're leery of your local store in any way for their cutting practices, the best thing to do is to buy the whole piece (as in, a whole ribeye or tenderloin) and cut the pieces yourself. It's really a better way to go because you'll get the size cut you want, a fresher product, and you can refrigerate or freeze whatever you don't use and save for the next special occasion.

I hope this has helped a little in your next dining experience.

Oh by the way, if you see a ham in the grocery store which reads "ham and water product," don't buy it. The same is for turkey. I'll just leave it at that. Spend the extra $.25 per pound for a "water added ham" or "whole muscle turkey"

All the best,
David

GBond
04-25-2011, 06:53 PM
Don't pull in to Fast Food for lunch then. :biggrin:

Donzi Vol
04-25-2011, 06:58 PM
Don't pull in to Fast Food for lunch then. :biggrin:

They use soy as the binder. It's a naturally occuring vegetable product. Just FYI

GBond
04-25-2011, 07:12 PM
They use soy as the binder. It's a naturally occuring vegetable product. Just FYI

K...Thanks. It's all good then! :yes:

Donzi Vol
04-25-2011, 07:14 PM
K...Thanks. It's all good then! :yes:

I wouldn't say it's good, but at least it's safe...haha

The Hedgehog
04-25-2011, 07:16 PM

Do NOT tell Christina that a hamburger may have some vegetables in it.

GBond
04-25-2011, 07:18 PM
Just bustin' on ya! :biggrin:

Donzi Vol
04-25-2011, 07:22 PM

Haha. I gaurantee the ones that Garth makes are free from any sort of veggies.

Ghost
04-25-2011, 07:59 PM
I'd especially ditto DonziVol's comments about cutting up meat yourself. It's pretty easy and very cost effective to go to Sam's or Costco and buy whole tenderloin, ribeye, or strip, and cut it up yourself. Outside of restaurants, I couldn't tell you the last time I had a steak that I didn't cut myself. Ribeyes and strips are STUPID easy. Tenderloin is a little more work, but still easy.

Ghost
04-25-2011, 08:03 PM

LOL, that's hilarious. (Lisa's the same way.)

"If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why'd He make all those animals out of meat?"

silverghost
04-25-2011, 08:23 PM
My local supermarket sells "Processed Steak Filets & Processed Chicken Cutlets"

Who knows what is in that "Processed" junk they sell ?

MOP
04-25-2011, 08:50 PM
http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/food/meat-glue-or-how-to-make-a-filet-mignon-out-of-stew-meat-2469917

Our FDA says it is GRAS!

Donzi Vol
04-25-2011, 09:01 PM
http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/food/meat-glue-or-how-to-make-a-filet-mignon-out-of-stew-meat-2469917

Our FDA says it is GRAS!

Well I'll be dog gone, looks like I've missed a beat somewhere! I still can't imagine anyone using that toxic powder stuff that was in the first video. Naturally occuring binders (like soy and proteins from other parts of the animal) are used, but I just don't see it much outside of hot dogs, sausages, and inexpensive deli meats.

silverghost
04-25-2011, 09:05 PM
What do you think is in "Pocessed" Chicken McNuggets ?

Donzi Vol
04-25-2011, 10:34 PM
What do you think is in "Pocessed" Chicken McNuggets ?

The term is "chopped and formed". Basically, they take breast meat, chop it up and use a solution and natural protiens to form it into whatever shape they want. The manufacturer will put all this together, bread it, freeze it and it's ready for the fryer.

McDonald's nuggets have actually gotten a lot better over the years. Used to be a lot of dark meat and gristle. They figured out that those wouldn't sell as well as a quality product.

handfulz28
04-26-2011, 09:56 AM
use a solution and natural protiens to form it

Proteins, enzymes, bacteria....it's just another word game. Always have to consider the motive behind these "news " items.

If you didn't catch, cut, and cook it yourself how do you know what you're eating.

zelatore
04-26-2011, 03:15 PM
Has anybody alerted Ted Nugent yet??!!