PDA

View Full Version : Trim Master Tabs and fuel tank sender

Offset
04-24-2011, 01:49 PM
Hoping I can get some help. My 94 22 classic has "Trim Master" tabs in it. When we took this boat for a test ride the tabs worked fine but the fluid in the pump reservoir seemed to be foaming out of the cap (there is no gasket on this cap). We drained the fluid toped off with ATF Dexron and bleed the system. Worked fine. However when winterizing the boat we let the motor run and we noticed the same foaming issue.
I strikes me that if we are not using the tabs that the pump must still be running and therefore foaming the fluid. Any ideas? I understand Trim Master is long gone. If I have to switch to another brand what is involved in switching the pump and related hardware out?
Second question, I know the gas sender is not accurate and there is a gentleman who has posted on here with a replacement unit. I have VDO gauges which I believe work with his system but I cannot find the sending unit on the tank. I have crawled under the deck and there is a fiberglass panel over the aluminum tank but I cannot see how the panel comes out. There is a fuel shut off inside the lift out storage unit in the floor. Can anyone point me in the right direction with this? Are the sending units still available, I did see he was running low.
Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
Murray Adam :wrench::confused:

mrfixxall
04-24-2011, 02:06 PM
I also have trim master,,been great!! your not soppose to use atf in the pump..it will foam like crazy,,drain flush and use a clear hydraulic fluid or power steering fluid..if the pump is still running under way then you will probably need a new control switch..the pump trim master used was made by bennette so if you need any replacement parts theirs will work..

fuel gauge,,look in the parts section,one of themembers sells the corrected fuel tank sender..

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=62690

Tidbart
04-24-2011, 07:37 PM
There is a fuel shut off inside the lift out storage unit in the floor. Can anyone point me in the right direction with this? Are the sending units still available, I did see he was running low.
Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
Murray Adam :wrench::confused:

Murray,

You are in the right location. Next to the fuel lines and shutoff, on the top of the tank, there should be 3 wires attached to the sender. There are 5 small screws holding it in place. It may not be directly under the hatch, take a flashlight and look in that hole. You will see it.

BTW, VDO gauges aren't a problem. I am the one with the senders. I will be ordering more shortly as interest has perked up again with the advent of spring. So, check it out and let me know if you would like to proceed.

Bob

Offset
04-25-2011, 07:32 AM
Bob, thanks for the sender location information, I will look again at the shut off access and let you. Good to know that your system will work with my VDO gauges. I will be in touch with you about the parts.

Fixx thanks for the information on the Trim Master System. The more I thought about this after posting I was sure something was just not right with my information. I looked again and I guess the foaming issue is really the Bravo One trim pump. I am an outboard guy so don't hold it against me!!:shocking: So I will ask the question I should have asked. Why would oil foam out of the cap on the trim pump? We did run the trim up and down prior to storing the boat so I know the pump is working. The guy I bought it from did put ATF in and originally the mess in the bilge was pink so I think he had put ATF before although he said the pump was for the tabs (maybe he really was an outboard guy as well!!!).

Any suggestions on this problem would be appreciated.

Appreciate the help.

Murray Adam:bonk:

Conquistador_del_mar
04-25-2011, 11:35 AM
Murray,
When you fill the pump reservoir on the Bravo or any other outdrive pump or trim tab pump to the correct level, the trim cylinders should be fully retacted. In other words, the drive should be fully down. If you fill the pump with the drive up, the fluid in the rams will overfill the pump reservoir as they are retracted. Offhand, it sounds like this is what caused the problem. I hope this helps. Bill

Offset
04-25-2011, 01:19 PM
Bill I think you are correct on this one because when the owner filled the small tank the drive was in the trailer position. Truly I did not know this but it makes sense what you are saying. The guy I bought if from did think the tank was for the trim tabs so I better check all the fluids.

Any suggestions as to how to remove the ATF and put in the proper fluid which I guess would be some type of hydraulic oil?

Really appreciate the input.

mrfixxall
04-25-2011, 04:03 PM
Bill I think you are correct on this one because when the owner filled the small tank the drive was in the trailer position. Truly I did not know this but it makes sense what you are saying. The guy I bought if from did think the tank was for the trim tabs so I better check all the fluids.

Any suggestions as to how to remove the ATF and put in the proper fluid which I guess would be some type of hydraulic oil?

Really appreciate the input.

its ok to use atf in the drive oil resivour but not the tabs..

Mooglide93
05-01-2011, 03:09 PM
Offset,

Sent you a PM.... I also have a '94 Classic 22. Would like to share info on them... Thanks
Butch

Offset
05-01-2011, 03:53 PM
Mooglide I replied to your message but I am not sure the message was actually sent. There are some things I still am not sure about with this site. Let me know if you got it and if the information was of any use to you.