PDA

View Full Version : Best wax stripper ?

Sam
09-18-2002, 08:43 PM
In the past I have used various products from Interlux with mixed results. What have you used to strip wax? My intention is to reapply a fresh base coat.

THX
Sam

MOP
09-18-2002, 08:50 PM
Do you have a buddie in the dry cleaning biz? If so ask him for a quart of Perk, I have been using it for years it will remove all the wax and if used on your vehicles it will get tar and bugs off so quick it will surprise you.

CDMA
09-18-2002, 08:52 PM
Mother nature wink

gjohns6896
09-18-2002, 10:21 PM
MOP....it's not "perk" but "PERC." As in Perchlorethylene

I AM in the dry cleaning business, and that stuff does work wonders...and it will also eat the soles of your shoes, so be very careful!

Just for future reference, it's just one of the many VDSs, meaning Volatile Dry Solvent.

Cheers,
George

tailwind
09-18-2002, 11:05 PM
Without asuming previous posts, and if you really want to shine on:

here is the way and the light; (learned this from polishing molds)

1. Get a good Milwawkee 7" polisher, and at least 3 to 4 pure wool pads.
2. Purchase a gallon of "3m machine glaze", available at most auto body supply houses
3. Work with a small 3' area for results
4. Finish with a Mequires "carnuba" wax
5. Most important here: Remove the "scuff" between apps, or throw the pads in the washing machine.
6. It does take a little practice, but forget the orbital buffers! They are worthless, totally!

Randy

Tidbart
09-19-2002, 07:04 AM
Randy,
Isn't it supposed to be best to remove all the old wax before doing the polishing and new wax???

I am inquiring because I just bought a polisher and plan on doing the boat over. You are right about the orbital buffers. The work doesn't last unless you do it correctly and that requires a lot of time and effort, or a small army of illegals to do it for you.

Also, looks like you are into aviation. Have you heard of a product called Rolite? It is a polish used mainly in the aviation industry. Any opinions on the stuff?

Bob

Bob

HP 600SC
09-19-2002, 07:24 AM
LOL!!!!(Poodle, your killing me!!)

Sam
09-19-2002, 12:36 PM
Randy, I have the polisher with pads and love the results I have had in the past. What I want to do is get ALL the wax and crap that I have put on off. I have a build up that is giving me a cloudy look in some areas.

Sam

Tidbart
09-19-2002, 05:28 PM
Sam,
I was reading up on waxing/polishing in the last couple of days. I did find an article that someone wrote that stated to remove the old wax with, if remember correctly, rubbing alcohol. I am still trying to refind the article, so don't take my word for it. :(
Other than that, a good polishing should take everthing off right down to good paint/gelcoat.
I am still looking for the article as I want to do the same before I start polishing.

Bob