PDA

View Full Version : 1967 18 2+3 Pengy Project

Davidmnc
04-20-2011, 01:42 PM
Here it is, I brought it home yesterday. This is hull # 18-125. Right now there is no engine or drive in the boat. On initial inspection the boat seems solid. I have a 302 making about 275HP that I am planning to put in her now, but there is a 347 that may be a better way to go, but will take more work and money. At this point I am in search of a drive. The original drive was a Volvo 250, and we have that drive but it is junk. My personal preference would be to switch it to an Alpha, but I am not sure that is the best way to go either. Another thought is switching to a Volvo 290 with trim and tilt. Or I could try to find another 250 drive, but I would really like trim. Would tabs work just as well? I have noticed many 270 drives in the world for sale, but they all say they came from a 4cyl engine. What have others done for a drive on these boats?

Fishermanjm
04-20-2011, 01:53 PM
nice boat i really like that barrel back look good luck with her

Davidmnc
04-20-2011, 01:56 PM
Thank you, so do it. That brings up a great question. Is this boat a 2+3? Or is it some thing else. Should I refer to it as a barrel back, classic, or a 2+3? Forgive my ignorance.

JimG
04-20-2011, 03:06 PM
I don't have trim or tabs on my 18. Don't miss them at all. The boat was built to perform without either. Try it...

Hard to believe someone broke a 250. Mine has been bulletproof. Is it original to the boat?

Beautiful boat, BTW...

Davidmnc
04-20-2011, 03:25 PM
I don't have trim or tabs on my 18. Don't miss them at all. The boat was built to perform without either. Try it...

Hard to believe someone broke a 250. Mine has been bulletproof. Is it original to the boat?

Beautiful boat, BTW...

Well, It may have been a 270 after further review. LOL Any body got one???

Davidmnc
04-20-2011, 03:26 PM

Beautiful boat, BTW...
What kind of power are you running Jim, and what kind of speeds are you getting?

mrfixxall
04-20-2011, 03:34 PM
stick with the volvo,,toyr set up is simple, put it in gear and go!if you want to trim it just move the pin in the 3 positions.. no hydraulic ram or pump to worrie about..looking for a drive,,just make sure theirs a letter A which is a 1.3? ratio or the letter B which is a 1.61 ratio in the drive..the letter is at the end of the serial number on the front side of the drive..
ant of the volvo 270-280 drives will bolt up.and yes your boat is called a Barrel back..

Buddyc
04-20-2011, 03:35 PM
Congrats on the new adition. She looks great and Ill bet your excited about the possibilities? Best of luck. I also love the Barrelback

Davidmnc
04-20-2011, 03:44 PM
stick with the volvo,,toyr set up is simple, put it in gear and go!if you want to trim it just move the pin in the 3 positions.. no hydraulic ram or pump to worrie about..looking for a drive,,just make sure theirs a letter A which is a 1.3? ratio or the letter B which is a 1.61 ratio in the drive..the letter is at the end of the serial number on the front side of the drive..
ant of the volvo 270-280 drives will bolt up.and yes your boat is called a Barrel back..

Thank you for the info. Would a 275 work. There is one local I can get pretty cheap?

Davidmnc
04-20-2011, 03:51 PM

I keep seeing that the 1.3 is the preferred drive, but typically you would use a 1.5 +/- drive for a V8. What would be the performance difference between the 1.3 and the 1.6? I will be starting off with about 275hp and may be moving up to @ 350 if my check book can stand it. Would I be assuming correct if I said I would have to run a lower pitch prop with the 1.3 (19p) as opposed to a higher pitch (21p) with the 1.6. Call me stupid if you need to, just tell me what you know.

Davidmnc
04-20-2011, 03:53 PM
Congrats on the new adition. She looks great and Ill bet your excited about the possibilities? Best of luck. I also love the Barrelback

Thank you. It looks better in the pictures than it does in person, but it has been in a barn for the last couple years. It will need paint, but I would like to have it making noise this summer, and let paint be a next winter project. But I may be being optimistic.

mrfixxall
04-20-2011, 04:16 PM
I keep seeing that the 1.3 is the preferred drive, but typically you would use a 1.5 +/- drive for a V8. What would be the performance difference between the 1.3 and the 1.6? I will be starting off with about 275hp and may be moving up to @ 350 if my check book can stand it. Would I be assuming correct if I said I would have to run a lower pitch prop with the 1.3 (19p) as opposed to a higher pitch (21p) with the 1.6. Call me stupid if you need to, just tell me what you know.

Find the 1.61 ratio (B) drive,,i put over 400 hp through one and its been fine for over 25 yrs..

The 275 drive i believe has its mounting pins in a differant location so it may not fit..take the boat with you and see if it fits..i thought the 275 was for 4cylinder boats..also the 275 has i believe a 290 upper.. stick with the drives that end with a zero but not a nine zero ..

Conquistador_del_mar
04-20-2011, 04:44 PM
I am almost certain that you want the B ratio drive - 1.61. If you have any problems locating one, I have a complete 275 from bell housing to prop that came from a V-8 Ford 302 installation, but I don't want to sell just the drive. The 275 that you found locally should work fine. I believe the 250, 270, 275, and 280 are all mounted the same - maybe someone can confirm this. Nice boat! Bill

JimG
04-20-2011, 05:12 PM
I'm running a pretty stock HM 351W on the original 250 drive. I see 56mph at 5100rpm with an Ultra prop. You need a B drive.

Is the gel original?

maddad
04-20-2011, 05:34 PM
The 275 and 290 legs need a different transom shield than the 250-270-280 legs.

Eplebnista
04-20-2011, 06:22 PM
Search Tempest is your friend:

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/boa/2319589108.html

fogducker III
04-20-2011, 06:30 PM
I love that windshield on a barrelback, VERY different. Good luck with the boat....:yes:

Davidmnc
04-20-2011, 06:51 PM
I'm running a pretty stock HM 351W on the original 250 drive. I see 56mph at 5100rpm with an Ultra prop. You need a B drive.

Is the gel original?

No the boat has been painted. And it needs to be redone.

Davidmnc
04-20-2011, 06:52 PM
I love that windshield on a barrelback, VERY different. Good luck with the boat....:yes:

Thank you! I like the windshield too!! :yes:

Davidmnc
04-20-2011, 06:54 PM
Well the local 270 serial # is PZNR27123031D 63206

MOP
04-20-2011, 07:43 PM
Real nice find! +1 on sticking with the Volvo, Alpha is junk by comparison. IMO I would not be to quick to redo original gel, go after the dings and scratches then a good compound and wax it will be an original jewel!

Phil

P.S. Grab the 280 on Craigs List!

fogducker III
04-20-2011, 08:05 PM
Very very nice Barrel Back. Looks in great shape for the year & Hull #. I have had 5 of the barrel backs & they are great. The one thing that it seems that everyone that has an original always wants or wishes for is Power Trim. They came with tilt for putting on the trailer but not trim. They will run a few more mph with trim. The other thing is if you want to take your older riders out, put it in the lowest hole, if you are going to cruise, ski, or kneeboard, put it in the middle hole, if you want to go out & get with it, put it in the last hole. It can get to be a problem to stop & change the pin if you want to change your driving conditions. It will help lots with the trim tabs since you can change the balance & get the porpoising when in the last hole by putting your tabs down a bit.

Now since you may need a drive, keep in mind I just took off a 280 Volvo with power trim from a 1975 18 classic, I believe I am going to a more powerful engine & will change the drive to an alpha I have hanging around. Sooooo, if you want to talk about the drive, transom assembly, flywheel, & even the trim motor. They all were working great when we took the drive off to redo the engine. Check around with some of the guys & see what you would need if the flywheel came from a Chevy 350 engine instead of a ford. Am going to add a couple pictures of the drive on the boat & when they removed it all from the transom. It should preform well on that hull & talk to Tom Smith about his 1968 Barrel Back. It is mainly all original & it drives like a dream. I like lots & lots speed but that boat was a absolute joy to drive. Just like going back to 1968 & picking one up at your local Donzi Dealership. The engine is like a sewing machine it is soooo smooth. Oh yea, don't mention his Barrel Back being a 1968, cause he thinks it is a 1967 like yours. lol His hull # is a lot higher than yours though. 2 of mine were before yours & the rest were after. I will get that drive pics on here as soon as I find the camera. Great find & great luck to you. Tom 256-777-0844

Always selling something Tom......perhaps you should buy an advertiser banner or up your membership??

Davidmnc, nice boat, good luck with getting out on the water this summer.....

mrfixxall
04-20-2011, 08:22 PM
Always selling something Tom......perhaps you should buy an advertiser banner or up your membership??

Davidmnc, nice boat, good luck with getting out on the water this summer.....

also i bet the new guy is getting tons of emails too lol,,i thought this part was funny,when he said that he wont need the drive (volvo) because he is putting a stronger engine in a boat and he was going to use a alpha for that application...

Davidmnc
04-21-2011, 07:53 AM
David, here is the pics of the 280 as Maddad tells me it is. Man that is one fine looking boat you have. Do not redo the paint or gel just yet. May be able to salvage it. Tom

Ding Ding Ding :eek:

Davidmnc
04-21-2011, 07:55 AM
donzi racer has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

Sweet little 16
04-21-2011, 09:55 AM
the 280t was not a great design, they moved with the 290 .

the trim connections on the 280t transom housing are outside the transom seal and in most cases they got wet and water would seep into the holes and then down to the bolt holes.

this can been seen in the picture above by the rusty connections and the bottom bolt

most say just drill 2 holes and you have trim, you need to make sure the trim ears have no voids or exposed alum. between the housing and the transom and you need to seal up everything as best possible.

Buddyc
04-21-2011, 09:58 AM
Ditto on the windshield. Looks great. Hows the interior looking? Dash, seats ect?
If you put some work in the paint with the right products she will come back to life. Good idea to wait till next year for the extierior redo. Love the color combo...looks fast sitting there.

Davidmnc
04-21-2011, 10:14 AM
Ditto on the windshield. Looks great. Hows the interior looking? Dash, seats ect?
If you put some work in the paint with the right products she will come back to life. Good idea to wait till next year for the extierior redo. Love the color combo...looks fast sitting there.

I would give the interior an 8.5+ out of 10 and may clean up to a solid 9, and I am good with that. The gauges have been replaced at some point, and they look good but are not the original look I would have tried to find. The original gauge plate is there, and is faded, but in good shape. The rest of the dash looks pretty good 7.5 out of 10. The shifter is the original, but they painted every thing but the shifter it self. The neutral lock button has a rubber cover that is torn. (I will redo all that when I repaint the boat). I do think it will shine up nice and turn some heads as it is right now. I am looking forward to hearing it make some noise this summer.

Davidmnc
04-21-2011, 10:15 AM
the 280t was not a great design, they moved with the 290 .

the trim connections on the 280t transom housing are outside the transom seal and in most cases they got wet and water would seep into the holes and then down to the bolt holes.

this can been seen in the picture above by the rusty connections and the bottom bolt

most say just drill 2 holes and you have trim, you need to make sure the trim ears have no voids or exposed alum. between the housing and the transom and you need to seal up everything as best possible.

If I am reading this correct you are saying these drives can promote transom rot if not installed and maintained properly?

Sweet little 16
04-21-2011, 10:23 AM
Yes they can. Compared to the 200-280 and the 290 transom housing the 280t housing was very short-lived production wise. another thing to watch for is corrosion around the trim fittings and the housing .

Buddyc
04-21-2011, 11:07 AM
I would give the interior an 8.5+ out of 10 and may clean up to a solid 9, and I am good with that. The gauges have been replaced at some point, and they look good but are not the original look I would have tried to find. The original gauge plate is there, and is faded, but in good shape. The rest of the dash looks pretty good 7.5 out of 10. The shifter is the original, but they painted every thing but the shifter it self. The neutral lock button has a rubber cover that is torn. (I will redo all that when I repaint the boat). I do think it will shine up nice and turn some heads as it is right now. I am looking forward to hearing it make some noise this summer.
Glad to hear. you have the foundation of a boat you can enjoy from years to come

Davidmnc
04-21-2011, 12:45 PM
David, here is the pics of the 280 as Maddad tells me it is. Man that is one fine looking boat you have. Do not redo the paint or gel just yet. May be able to salvage it. Tom

Okay group, What do you guys think this thing is worth?

Buddyc
04-21-2011, 02:30 PM
Okay group, What do you guys think this thing is worth?
Half of what tom says it is... u can apply the $500 I'm getting beat from tom and put it to your drive... if you can get it out of him..lol
Seriously my gift to you if u can get it...